Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Maya 2014 trough GPO problem

18 REPLIES 18
SOLVED
Message 1 of 19
SySAdminMonk
976 Views, 18 Replies

Installing Maya 2014 trough GPO problem

We are trying to deploy Maya 2014 via GPO. We have created a deployment (with the Deployment tool which is included with a Maya installation), when we double click the shortcut Maya 2014 gets deployed. 

We have configured the GPO to deploy Maya 2014, we did EVERYTHING the online manual said to configure the GPO ( http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/documentation/INSTALL-LICENSE/2014/... )

The problem is, nothing happends. Maya 2014 is not getting installed on any computer, even tough the GPO is exactly configured like the online manual said.

Can ayone tell me how to get this working? 

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
asburyj
in reply to: SySAdminMonk

Is a log file being created on the client? The logs will be generated in the TEMP directory which can be accessed by typing '%temp%' in the START > RUN. Please locate the logs which will have a naming convention of "Product Name Setup.log" and "Product Name Install.log". The most common reason I see for a GPO to fail is because a pre requisite component is missing. When you run the deployment it will check for and install missing pre requisites like .net framework and Visual C++ but the GPO is just running the Maya inso MSI by itself so it doesn't check for those and can fail if they are missing. 

Jeffry Asbury
Message 3 of 19
SySAdminMonk
in reply to: asburyj

Thanks for your quick responce. I checked the temp folder on on the computers, but there aint any log regarding Maya.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 4 of 19
asburyj

Seems like the install isn't starting. Is there any server logging for group policy that tells you anything? Are you sure the clients are actually attempting the install?

Jeffry Asbury
Message 5 of 19
SySAdminMonk

Server logs does'nt show anything about Maya, noir does the clients. Odd thing is that other programs get installed without any problem.
Message 6 of 19
DannyHubbard

With a GPO or SCCM install the install log files will actually be found in the Windows temp folder, somethign like C:\Windows\Temp.

Also make sure the client machine have any of the pre requisites already installed, like Microsoft .Net Framework, DirectX, Visual Studio runtimes or what ever else Maya requires.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/documentation/INSTALL-LICENSE/2014/...

Thanks,

Danny

Danny Hubbard
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 19
SySAdminMonk
in reply to: DannyHubbard

They meet all the requirements. Temp folder does'nt show any log about Maya either
Message 8 of 19
DannyHubbard

You may also want to look a the Application seciton of the Event Viewer, Windows Logs on the client and the server for any errors are warnings when the software tries to install.

Thanks,

Danny

Danny Hubbard
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 9 of 19
SySAdminMonk
in reply to: DannyHubbard

Tryed the next solution, but DID'NT work:

1) Download and install ORCA (it's free).
2) Open repackaged MSI in ORCA.
3) Right click tables section and add the Upgrade table (no data needs to be added though).
4) Save MSI file in ORCA.
5) Re-add files to software deployment in group policy.
6) Check the event log, but files should be deployed without errors.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After monitoring the event viewer on our domain server i found this:

(11-03-2014 11:24:42) Beginning a Windows Installer transaction: \\Servername\Maya 2014\Img\x64\Maya\Maya2014.msi. Client Process Id: 9844.

(11-03-2014 11:24:44) Ending a Windows Installer transaction: \\Serverhaje\Maya 2014\Img\x64\Maya\Maya2014.msi. Client Process Id: 9844.

There is no error in the even viewer. so i don't know what the installers ends after 2 seconds of starting.

On the client pc event logs, nothing happends.

Message 10 of 19
DannyHubbard

On the client machine you may try enabling verbose logging, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300

Then at a command prompt use the command "gpupdate /force" to make the client sync with the server and start your software package install.

Then check the client C:\Windows\Temp folder and Event Viewer. If still nothing is showing up then the problem is with the the package setup on the server or the server communication with the client.

Thanks,

Danny

Danny Hubbard
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 11 of 19
SySAdminMonk

Tryed your solutions, Temp folder and Event Viewer on the client don't show up anything about the installation.

About the package, if i double click the shortcut that has been made, Maya get's silencly installed. I did everything the manual said, so if there is something wrong with the package, then there is something wrong with Autodesk's way of creating packages.

Doubt it will be our server, since it installs other [ackage programs (Adobe products, office etc etc) on the client with ease.

Message 12 of 19
SySAdminMonk

I don't know what changed, but since today this happends:

I boot a client pc and before it gets to the windows login screen, i see it's installing Maya 2014 (that's whats the message is saying).

After it's done, i log in but i can't find Maya anywhere. Checking the Program Files/ProgramData, i see that it did not installed Maya 2014.

Checked the Even Applications i found this error:

Product: Autodesk Maya 2014 -- 1: 5 2: admlPITSetProductInformation failed. 3: 26

Log Name: Application
Source: MsInstaller
Event ID: 10005
Level: Error
User: SYSTEM
Logged: 25-03-2014 10:18:02
Task Category: None
Ketwords: Classic

Will this help you to find a solution for this problem?

EDIT: I think it removed the installation files after the error, becouse there is no Maya data in de ProgramData map (so the 'remove ProductInformation.pit 'solution won't work.

There also aint a log at Windows/Temp about Maya.

Message 13 of 19
asburyj

The message "adlmPITRemoveProductInformation failed" indicates a possible corruption in the "ProductInformation.pit" file or a lack of permissiong to edit the file . Check the file in the directory listed before and ensure the account doing the install has permissions to edit it. If it does the solution to this problem may be to manually remove the file and to repeat the installation process.

You can find the "ProductInformation.pit" in the following location:

Microsoft Windows XP

C:\Documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\ADLM\ProductInformation.pit

Microsoft Windows 7/8

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ADLM\ProductInformation.pit

Deleting this file will also invalidate any other licensed Autodesk product installs so if you have other licensed products installed you will need uninstall and re-install them as well. 

Jeffry Asbury
Message 14 of 19
SySAdminMonk

: I think it removed the installation files after the error, becouse there is no Maya data in de ProgramData map (so the 'remove ProductInformation.pit 'solution won't work.

I would really appreciate if you read my reply before copy pasting a standard solution..

Message 15 of 19
asburyj

If the productinformation.pit isn't in there it may be that the account doing the install doesn't have permission to the directory and can't create the file. Did you check the permissions?

Jeffry Asbury
Message 16 of 19
SySAdminMonk

I checked the permissions and they are correct. Like i stated earlier, other programs (like Adobe packages, Microsoft packes) get installed normally. When Maya starts to install, i see the ProgramData/Autodesk getting filled with files. After the installation the complete Autodesk map is gone again (not hidden) and i see the error i posted above in the client log.
Message 17 of 19
asburyj

One of the last things that an autodesk product intstaller does during the install process is update or create the productinformation.pit file which is an encrypted file that keeps information about licensed products that at are installed such as Serial number and product key. The error  admlPITSetProductInformation failed. 3: 26 indicates that that process can't take place and if that fails it will roll back the entire install. Unfortunately if it's not a permission related issue or a corrupt pit file I am not sure of anything else that would cause that error. Do you have any other Autodesk installs to test on the system. I would be curious to see if a different install could create the productinformation.pit file. 

Jeffry Asbury
Message 18 of 19
SySAdminMonk

I need to check and test if we got any other autodesk software. I do tryed this, but did'nt made a difference.

1. Install the Maya 2014 GPO Package manually (by manually clicking on the shortcut that gets included with the package) on the client PC
2. Maya gets installed without any problem.
3. I copy the productinformation.pit on a save place.
4. Then i de-install Maya 2014.
5. After Maya is removed, i manually create the folder: Autodesk/ADLM
6. In the ADML folder i place them productinformation.pit copied earlier.
7. Then i reboot the client pc to let the GPO install it the way it should be installed (pushed via de GPO)
8. After that installation is done, all files are gone again besides the productinformation.pit.

Message 19 of 19
SySAdminMonk

Well finally managed to solve the problem. After a lot of trying/testing, we removed the 'gpo.mst' out of the GPO. So we only left Maya2014.mst added. Now Maya 2014 finally gets installed!

Looks like something is wrong the the gpo.mst.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report