Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install multiple versions of AutoCAD on the same machine?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
mista_eng
19278 Views, 10 Replies

Install multiple versions of AutoCAD on the same machine?

Hi All, 

I was wondering if it Autodesk officially supports the installation of multiple versions of AutoCAD on the same machine. Is it even possible? If so, is the installation order oldest to newest? 

I ask because we are running on AutoCAD 2008 and are about to buy licenses for AutoCAD 2010/2011. Are files created in AutoCAD 2008 compatible in the newer versions? We'd like to avoid running two or more versions if possible.

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
frhervet
in reply to: mista_eng

Hi,

Yes you can have multiple versions of AutoCAD on the same machine.

And oldest to newest is the correct order.

You can open 2008 DWG in 2011 product.

2008 to 2009 are the same DWG.

2010 and 2011 is newer.

Franck Hervet

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
S'il vous plaît Marquer cette réponse comme "Accepter comme solution" si elle répond à votre question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 11
Charles_Shade

I believe that if you are on subscription you can keep the previous three versions. If you buy an upgrade to a version you are expected to remove the product that is upgraded.

The previous poster is correct about compatability but remember that some 2011 features will not be available in 2008.

Message 4 of 11
ajs_rdg

Ref:

http://docs.autodesk.com/ARCHDESK/2011/ENU/filesACAIG/WS1a9193826455f5ff3d6161141208a8044f3-79a2.htm

"If you have a previous version of AutoCAD Architecture installed on your system, you can install a newer version of AutoCAD Architecture and keep other versions of the program on the same system. This is called a side-by-side installation. If you have purchased an upgrade version of AutoCAD Architecture, you are required to uninstall the previous version within 120 days of installing your newer product. See your license agreement for more information."

Message 5 of 11
frhervet
in reply to: ajs_rdg

Hi,

This text didn't mention Subscription which is the first thing to known.

If you are under subscription you can use past three version and older if you have it.

If you aren't under subscription you must use the last version that Autodesk sells.

Best regards.

Franck Hervet

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
S'il vous plaît Marquer cette réponse comme "Accepter comme solution" si elle répond à votre question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 6 of 11
sponder01
in reply to: frhervet

is this the same for LT version 2008/2009 and 2012 on the same machine?  can it be done?

Message 7 of 11
joane.bonghanoy
in reply to: sponder01

Hi sponder01,

Yes, the same Policy and rules apply to AutoCAD LT as well as to other Autodesk Products with regard to the installation and the Previous Version Policy provided that you have an Active Subscription.

For more details on the Previous Version Policy, feel free to contact our Registration and Activation team at 1800-551-1490, M-F, 930am - 530pm.

Joane Bonghanoy
Message 8 of 11
dawnkoch5012
in reply to: frhervet

How do you install previous versions from an install disk of a newer version?  I had Autocad3dMap2014, then my computer was reformatted and I have to reinstall CAD. We do not have the physical 2014 install disk.  When requested, Autodesk sent version 2015.  We've been told we can install version 2014 from it.  How?  I do not want to use CAD version 2015.  It would need to work with a Carlson product of the same year and the Carlson 2015 version is not yet available.  I do have the 2014 Carlson install cd.  I also do not want to download from the internet.  RIDICULOUSLY SLOW.  Already tried it and got nowhere.  Suggestions?  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Message 9 of 11
redchuarivera

Hi!

I just downloaded and installed AutoCAD 2016 on my computer. There was a warning, saying that my computer's specs aren't on par with the system requirements of AutoCAD 2016. I have 2GB RAM, 32-bit OS, and my processor is i3. I want to download and install an older version of AutoCAD. Is this possible without erasing the 2016 version? And also, which version of AutoCAD would you recommend I install?

P.S. I just tried operating the 2016 version. It runs fine, but I experienced LAG and everything had to be done slowly.

Message 10 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: redchuarivera

@redchuarivera wrote:

..., 32-bit OS, and my processor is i3. I want to download and install an older version of AutoCAD.  ....

Are you a student user or are you a commercial user?

If you are a student - the oldest release you can get is 2014.

If commercial user - I recommend that you upgrade to a 64-bit computer.

Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 11 of 11

I need to work with both autocad and autocad electrical, yesterday my machine was running normally autocad 2016 until I installed autocad electrical 2018 and here came the disaster, the new 2018 autocad electrical did not work in addition to that I could not remove it even using ccleaner, and caused 0xc000007b error and I had to install new windows, my machine is very powerful, 8 gb rams, i7, 1tb hard drive, excellent external Graphics card, I can play cal of duty advanced warfare very smoothly, in your opinion have I made any mistake, or just the installing of the autocad and autocade electrical is an enough reason for this killer 0xc0007b. Thank you in advance

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report