Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect serial used during install (Network license)

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
bmcsoftware
568 Views, 6 Replies

Incorrect serial used during install (Network license)

Hi there,

Our College has 2 seperate installs for Autodesk 3dsMax 2010.
One install has 45 network licenses and the other has 2 network licenses.

The incorrect serial with only 2 licenses was used during an install on 40 computers.
Is there any way to clear/ update all the serial information without a full re-install?

-Notes--
-Both packages use the same server so I can not remove or update the file that points to it in the program root.
-I have checked on the autodesk support site and the licenses can not be combined because they are the same package and version.
-There is no option to change the serial from the About menu in the help screen.
-Looked for l_register and h_register registry keys like in 3ds max 2009.
-Removed 3ds max folders from Documents and Settings\All Users.
-----

Please Help

Wayne
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
TravisNave
in reply to: bmcsoftware

Wayne,
I will set your mind at ease. When you have network licenses, the serial numbers on the clients do not matter. So long as there are licenses on the NLM and the client can access them, then you are all set.
As for not being able to combine them, Autodesk is wrong. You can combine two identical licenses for the same package so long as both licenses are generated on the same day. Simply append the INCREMENT from the other license to the original license and LMTOOLS will show the status as having 47 total seats. Autodesk doesn't make the Network License Manager, so I can understand why they are not aware of this fact. Trust me, I had this conversation with Autodesk Activations not too long ago. Even they can learn something new every day.
So, don't worry about what serial number was deployed with your clients as it does not matter in the long run. The client will grab an available license from the pool regardless of the serial used to install it.
If you need any further assistance, I'll be happy to help.
Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 7
bmcsoftware

> {quote:title=TravisNave wrote:}{quote}
> Wayne,

> So long as there are licenses on the NLM and the client can access them, then you are all set.

I have only become familiar with the Network License Manager. All the college licenses are already combined in one file.
Unfortunitly the license's have been generated on different dates and I can not Increment them.

Is there anything else I can try? Edited by: w_ayne on Feb 4, 2010 12:01 PM
Message 4 of 7
bmcsoftware

I have just performed a full manual install with the correct serial after uninstalling 3ds Max 2010 from a computer.
It is still holding the old incorrect serial.

Please help
Message 5 of 7
TravisNave

I would recommend having your files regenerated today so that they have the same date. You can call Autodesk and have them send you the license file by calling 1-800-551-1490 or you can try it on http://register.autodesk.com

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 7
TravisNave

Again, the serial number on the client does not matter. The license is not held at the client and the client machine is not activated. Serial numbers at the client workstation only make a difference when activating stand-alone license types. The network license ignores the serial number of the client because it is not used. In many cases, you can install the product without a serial number or 000-00000000. So you can ignore this issue.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 7
bmcsoftware

Hi there,

Just an update.

There where 25 network licenses not 45. Don't know where I got that number from :S

Anyway, I ended up re-installing the main 3ds max 2010 application. At first I thought this didn't work because the serial number in the 'About' screen was still incorrect.

When I phoned autodesk they said that they use to have a fix for this kind of issue but it was no longer available and that I would have to perform a re-install.

After I performed a re-install again, I opened up the application on serveral machines and it appeared to work fine without the 2 computer limitation.

Thanks for the help,

Wayne

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report