Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Message 1 of 7
pciganek
238 Views, 6 Replies

I got the PBU blues...

I recently made the mistake of entering the wrong identification code for the target computer while exporting a license from ADT2006. I sent a description of my problem to authcodes.neu@autodesk.com and received a new request code and activation code. Next time I started the source installation of AutoCAD I was given the option of authorizing the license. I assumed (wrongly I suppose) that I should go ahead and do so. I then exported another .pbu file and tried to import it in the target computer again. This time I was given an error 17.1.84. I went online and received request code and an activation code via www.autodesk.com/registration and had to wait until the emergency license ran out on the source machine before trying again. I thought that I would be able to enter the new codes somewhere but could not find any means to activate it. Again, the only option was to close AutoCAD or authorize it. I finally tried authorizing it ā€“ successfully, then exported the .pbu file again only to receive the same error (17.1.84) when trying to import this .pbu file into the target computer. So now Iā€™m back to square one.

So ā€“ a long description of my predicament and apparent stupidity, now for three questions:

What do I do with the request + authorization codes that are sent to me? How can I activate AutoCAD using these when the request code seems to be a given? How do I even get into AutoCAD to activate it when all I am given is the choice of authorizing (which it then seems to do automatically) or exiting?

Assuming that I am able to use the request + authorization codes that are sent to me ā€“ can I expect to be able to export + import the license successfully or is that an entirely unrelated problem?

Finally, and most importantly, my company has a group serial number with something like twenty licenses. Am I using up another of these each time I go ahead and re-authorize the source AutoCAD? How do I find out how many licenses we have left? Assuming the worst, how do I convince the powers that be at AutoDesk that we have less actual authorized AutoCAD licenses than activation requests? (ok - that's really five questions)

Thanks for any help,

Peter
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
TravisNave
in reply to: pciganek

I am surprised that after all that time, you didn't just authorize the second machine you were trying to export the license to begin with! You realize that your EULA allows a second installation, right?

If you have a 20-seat multi license stand-alone, what are you even trying to do and why?!?

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 7
pciganek

Thanks for responding,

I assumed that after exporting the license into nirvana from the original installation that I should retrieve the license for that machine before moving on. If I go ahead and activate the new installation separately then I have, in effect, lost a license - right?

- "If you have a 20-seat multi license stand-alone, what are you even trying to do and why?!?"

We recently bought twelve new workstations - so I have to shift all of the licenses from the old machines to the new ones. I did manage to do this successfully for all installations except for the one in question. This would have been much simpler with a network license, but we have locked individual licenses with a common group serial number. (BTW - I'm in Germany and am using approximate translations).

-"You realize that your EULA allows a second installation, right?"

Um - I guess that I didn't know that - but I'm not sure how this affects my situation. If you have time - can you explain?

Thanks,

Peter
Message 4 of 7
TravisNave

Germany? Oh well then all bets are off. Our software license agreements here are not the same as yours.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 7
pciganek

OK, no bets on EULA. Still, do you know how to use the request and activation codes that Autodesk sends to activate an installation?
Message 6 of 7
TravisNave

When you send Autodesk the request code, they send you the activation code. You launch the software and when it asks you how you want to register, you supply the code.

Alternately, you could just let it authorize over the Internet. Eventually it will run out of your 20 activations and won't let you anymore. But at that point, you can simply have Autodesk authorize you again. It's not that big of a deal.

Enjoy it while it lasts. Authorization codes for 2007 won't be given over the phone because they will be way too long.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 7
pciganek

Ahem - make that PLU blues...

Well - I have made some progress on solving my problem but still have a critical issue to deal with.

After re-authorizing/extending the installation with a lost license it seems that an attempt to export the license to a new installation will cause both a 17.1.84 error and the loss of the source installation's license. Can anyone confirm this?

Assuming that this is correct then I suppose that I can follow the logic - if you re-authorize an installation from which you exported the license and then export the license again, then you could have multiple "licensed" installations. However, this also means that if you do make a mistake while exporting then you can re-authorize that installation but you can no longer export it. So now I am stuck with a license on a machine that I wanted to retire.

Has anyone had a similar experience or know how I should proceed?

Thanks,

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report