Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I downloaded, but can't install

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
fbjacobo
504 Views, 3 Replies

I downloaded, but can't install

I downloaded Inventor Professional 2011 suite. I THOUGHT I installed it, but every time I click the icon to open it, I am asked essentially, "do you want to install. Installing will overwrite what is there". And I have other issues which may or may not have anything to do with this one. So I have quite a few questions. I hope someone can help. Feel free to email me for clarifications:

1. I downloaded the program Inventor Suite 2011

2. When I downloaded it I got a serial # and product key

3. I went to the proper web site to activate it, put in all kinds of information, and accidentally chose the wrong Inventor version: I think I chose Professional.

4. I got the error message that I had entered the wrong information, and should try again.

5. I CAN'T!!!! because when I get to that page, it keeps asking me to update my information, but then doesn't give me an activation code.

5. Do I need to go through the whole rigamarole of acquiring a new serial #?

6. Once I get the activation code, how do I input it into the program. Right now if I double click the icon for the program, I get the installer.

7. The last time I downloaded, I downloaded one large 3.2 GB file. This time, what downloaded was a 3-part file which is MUCH larger in size. Why?

8. I downloaded a 3-part item. I was able to install the first part - called 'part 1'. When I clicked on part 2, I got the error message that my computer couldn't read the file, and it asked me what I wanted to open it with. I thought that my computer had highlighted Windows Media, so I clicked on that. The files (part 2 and part 3) are RAR files, and didn't open. So I downloaded Adobe Reader, which should open RAR. Still no go. Should I keep trying to open them? Are they necessary? The last time, I downloaded v. 2012, and it was only one file, not 3.

Thanks in advance

Fred J.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: fbjacobo

1. What is the url of the website where you downloaded?
3. You don't Activate until you get it running normally in 30-day trial mode.
How did you activate if you didnt get it running?
The program creates an Activation Request Code based on your serial number and your hardware.

From the Activation Request Code the Activation Code is created.
Is this the student license?  The student license is for Inventor Professional.

5. See 3.

6. See 3 and post screen shot of what you are double clicking - it doesn't sound to me like you ever installed the software.
Downloading the compressed install files does not install the software.  You must run the executable to self-extract and then install the program.

8. Part 1 executable automatically extracts Parts 2 and 3 rar files for you.  This does not install the software - you still have to install the software (install screen should appear automatically.  If it doesn't - post back for instructions.

The 2012 download is 1 file - but doesn't include sample/tutorial files and Help files.

Does your school have a student IT Help Desk that can help you download, extract, install and activate your software?

9. You are in the wrong place http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/bd-p/24

10.  Did you turn off anti-virus (including TSR) before starting install?
11. Did you turn off UAC before starting install?
12. What is your OS? 342-bit? 64-bit?

13. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=16830648&linkID=16831209

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
fbjacobo
in reply to: JDMather

Hi, JD,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I knew there was stuff I'd inevitably leave out. OK, here goes:

1. I don't remember the URL, but it was for downloading Inventor Pro for students.

3. I didn't get it activated. I also can't get it running.

6. Well, my computer says I did - it asks if I want to overwrite what is already installed.

8. Parts 2 & 3 were DEFINITELY downloaded separately. I'll be happy to delete them (if I can FIND them), and let the installer program create them again. Should I?

9. It's a community college, so they have a tech team the debugs the school computers and handles email account issues. I haven't thought about asking them. I'll try it next time I'm there for class.

10. I didn't do that. I will now. 

11. What's UAC?

12. I am running Windows 7, 32-bit on the PC section of a partitioned Macbook Pro (tho that shouldn't make a difference).

Message 4 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: fbjacobo

1. The url is http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity 3. You said you did activate? I didn't think that was right. 6. Show screen shot of your Control Panel Add/Remove Programs list Show screen shot of your Start>Autodesk>Inventor 8. Who ever questioned whether parts2 and 3.rar files were downloaded? Who ever said you could delete those (you can't if you want Inventor 2011), only 2012 downloads as 1 file. 9. What about your professor? Can't your professor help? 11. Search Google 12. Search Google on Autodesk instructions for installing on a Mac.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report