Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't get any version of inventor to start

34 REPLIES 34
SOLVED
Message 1 of 35
Ash243x
1876 Views, 34 Replies

I can't get any version of inventor to start

I tried installing either Inventor 2013 or 2014, and reinstalling each, and trying ot install with different features selected, and restating my computer, and deleting or installing other autodesk software, and no matter what I do, when I try to open Inventor I always get the same error:

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142) .click ok to close the application"

All of the other Autodesk software I have opens and runs fine. I have no other known computer problems. I only get this error with Inventor. There are no problems that occur during installation; this is purely a problem with opening inventor once it's installed.

Can anyone help me?

34 REPLIES 34
Message 21 of 35
emanon2121
in reply to: Ash243x

This is stupid. I am done with Autodesk! I'll stick with Solidworks.

Message 22 of 35
Ash243x

I was maybe too quick to give up earlier - I ended up getting around the BSOD after scrubbing some files manually using a second computer and swapping hard drives around... 

It would certainly make my life easier if my workplace would just use solidworks or some other apperently more reliable program so I could just move on to doing some actual work ... but alas I really need Inventor for specific file formats so I'm gonna keep trying things.

Message 23 of 35
TravisNave
in reply to: emanon2121

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 24 of 35
Ash243x
in reply to: TravisNave

So on the second try, I was able to successfully install the full .NET framework, with all options selected for .NET 3.x and 4.x... however I'm still getting the same startup error with inventor.

Message 25 of 35
emanon2121

Installing Autodesk Inventor 2014 Service Pack 1 seems to have solved the problem for other people. I have not tried this solution yet.
Message 26 of 35
Ash243x

So I kinda gave up for a few months and was using Solidworks instead for my 3d modeling needs... until today, when I just tried again to install Inventor and wouldn't you know it works! It finally works! and on the first try!

The only thing I can think of that I did was re-installing Windows about 2 weeks ago, so I'm sure that was partly responsible, but what the exact issue was in the first place I still have no idea.

I guess I should close the thread at this point since my problem has disapeared

Message 27 of 35
johnnyofast

Wow, how ridiculous.

Inventor was running just fine.

Ever since I loaded windows 8.1 I get the dreaded 0xc0000142 and it won't open the application. This is the last two weeks of the semester and I'm absolutely screwed now.

Contacted microsoft's pathetic support and they tell me oh, you have to create a new user and try it again. yeah right. sure. did nothing.

reloaded the program. same thing.

I'll probably drop at least one letter grade because I can't finish the final project. Thanks Microsoft.

Message 28 of 35
dper2002
in reply to: emanon2121

I had this problem running Windows 8.1 and I installed Service Pack 1, and then it worked. I think that is your problem. To install SP1, click on this link: Inventor 2014 - Update 1 for Service Pack 1, then scroll down and click on the link to download there. It starts an installer download. Run the installer to update.

Message 29 of 35
LaurenDotNet
in reply to: dper2002

I downlaoded the zip file but I got an error when I tried to use it. It reads; "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch." Please help!

Message 30 of 35
zwheat

Ive been having the same problem, and I also tried completely reinstalling Inventor and also restarting my computer, to no avail.

Message 31 of 35
dgorsman
in reply to: johnnyofast

Consider it a lesson learned.  There is *zero* need for an immediate upgrade to the next operating system, and is not something to be done on a whim (like two weeks before the end of a semester!).  In a corporate environment, such changes are put through extensive testing over several months before scheduling is done. let alone actual roll out.  Its the same with any software or hardware that is considered "mission critical".

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 32 of 35
zwheat
in reply to: dgorsman

Yeah possibly, but I was able to fix the problem with a service pack that
Autodesk has out.
Message 33 of 35
TravisNave
in reply to: dgorsman

@dgorsman wrote:

Consider it a lesson learned.  ...

I could not agree more!  Well said, sir.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 34 of 35
idonothaveanid
in reply to: TravisNave

Travis,
I would like to try the free download of the Autodesk building suite. I just need to know if my computer is compatible. I am running Windows Vista home premium. Processor: Intel Pentium dual core processor E2200. Memory: 3072 MB. Hard drive: 500GB. Graphics: Intel graphics media accelerator 3100. Do you think it is compatible?
Message 35 of 35
TravisNave
in reply to: idonothaveanid

No. Vista is not supported. You need at least Windows 7.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report