Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't get any version of inventor to start

34 REPLIES 34
SOLVED
Message 1 of 35
Ash243x
1873 Views, 34 Replies

I can't get any version of inventor to start

I tried installing either Inventor 2013 or 2014, and reinstalling each, and trying ot install with different features selected, and restating my computer, and deleting or installing other autodesk software, and no matter what I do, when I try to open Inventor I always get the same error:

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142) .click ok to close the application"

All of the other Autodesk software I have opens and runs fine. I have no other known computer problems. I only get this error with Inventor. There are no problems that occur during installation; this is purely a problem with opening inventor once it's installed.

Can anyone help me?

34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35
TravisNave
in reply to: Ash243x

Welcome to the community.

Please list your OS, then video card and driver version. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 35
Ash243x
in reply to: TravisNave

Thanks for the welcome;

Heres my PC info:

Windows 8 (Pro) 64-bit

Nvidia Geforce GTS 240
Driver version: 9.18.13.2601 (Latest Available)

Other specs if they help:
CPU: intel Core i7 (quad core) 2.8GHz each
Memory: 8 GB

Message 4 of 35
Ash243x

*Currently attempting the Nuclear Option,
I am going to start completely from scratch to see if that solves the problem: 

I have just uninstalled everyhting by Autodesk from my machine,
I have completely removed the following folders:
C:\Autodesk
C:\Program Files\Autodesk
C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk
C:\ProgramData\Autodesk
C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk
C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Autodesk
And any My Documents folders related to Autodesk

I've also restarted and completly shut down UAC (user account control)
It's worth noting that my login account is the one and only user, and is an administrator.

I'm currently re-downloading a fresh installer for Inventor Professional 2014 DAP 64 Bit
I plan on using all the default "typical" settings.
I will update this thread once it's installed, indicating wether or not I still get the error.

Message 5 of 35
Ash243x

After all that I am still getting the error. Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 35
TravisNave

Have you turned off your anti-virus as a test?

Here is the WHQL certified driver for your card:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-320.49-whql-driver.html

You may wish you try a clean install of this.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 7 of 35
Ash243x

I ran a clean install of the driver you reccommended (despite it being outdated), but still got the same error so I updated it back to the latest version.

With regaurd to anti-virus, I don't have a 3rd party AV on this machine, and I'm not actually sure if I can turn off the built-in protection that comes with Windows 8, nor would I really want to.

Message 8 of 35
Ash243x

It's been over a week... and I still can't use inventor... does anyone have any suggestions at all I could try? I'm really desperate at this point and will try anything.

Message 9 of 35
Ash243x

Is there like a support number I can call, or email address?... I'm getting really frustrated that I am putting all this effort into this and no one can help me ... I can't be the only person with Windows 8 who wants to to use Inventor...
I really need to get this working ASAP

I will probably have input into purchasing decisions at some point in my engineering career and if this is the level of service I can expect from Autodesk, It's making PTC and Dessault look like much better options.

Message 10 of 35
TravisNave

This is a peer to peer forum.  Product support is something you typically buy thru your value added reseller.

http://www.autodesk.com/reseller

Good Luck!

Autodesk Forums:
Message 11 of 35
Ash243x

Thank you I will look into that then.

Message 12 of 35
emanon2121

Were you able to get a solution? I am having the exact same problem.
Windows 8 Pro 64bit
AMD Radeon 4800
6 GB RAM
Message 13 of 35
Ash243x
in reply to: emanon2121

Nope,

no solutions yet - I'm just waiting around hoping someone will heroically pass by this forum and help us out

For teh record I tried the 32 bit installer but it wont run on a 64 bit computer... so other than that I'm out of ideas.

Message 14 of 35
emanon2121

In general it seems to be a problem with a bad dll or multiple dlls from the research I have been doing about the error message it throws. Any ideas Autodesk people?
Message 15 of 35
Ash243x
in reply to: emanon2121

After you mentioned it might be a problem with a DLL I looked through my event log ... Lo and behold it looks like that is exactly what the problem is, The IDs change with each occurrence, but this following information is the same for every single time the error occurs:
---------------------
Faulting application name: Inventor.exe
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9431.0

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2014\Bin\Inventor.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0
Level 2
Task 100
Keywords 0x80000000000000
-----------------------

I tried re-downloading a new copy of KernalBase.dll to see if that would fix it, but to no avail, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the DLL itself (it is an uncorrupted stock copy fresh from Microsoft) but according to event viewer this is the DLL that Inventor doesn't like for some reason.

So anyway, problem still persists and advice from anyone, (maybe with general IT knowledge?) would certainly be appreciated.

Message 16 of 35
TravisNave

It could be a .NET Framework issue then.  Often times the version included in Windows 8 or installed with other apps is not the complete version.  You might reinstall the full redistributable. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 17 of 35
emanon2121

I just realized there was a .Net 4.5 before I tried the cleanup tool. Going to try installing 4.5 after the cleanup tool finishes.
Message 18 of 35
Ash243x

I attempted to install .NET 4.5 and got the following error message and it wouldn't let me continue.

---------------

Your installation will not occur.
Details

1: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 is already a part of this operating system. You do not need to install the .NET Framework 4.5 redistributable.

2: Same or higher version of .NET Framework 4.5 has already been installed on this computer.

Message 19 of 35
emanon2121

Same here.
Message 20 of 35
Ash243x

I attempted to activate all of the built-in features of .NET framework 3 and 4, via the add/remove features settings.

1.PNG

however, upon doing this the installer crashed and told me to restart windows.

After restarting windows, my computer proptly BSOD'd and now my desktop is gigantic brick which won't respond to startup commands or that can be repaired with a windows disk...

It will probably be days before I recover anything, reinstall windows, and even think about getting back to this inventor issue... I know it had nothing to do with inventor or autodesk but I am at a level of frustration above and beyond what words can describe right now having lost all of my settings and looking at hours of reinstalling for all of the programs I had on the machine.

Good luck to everyone else and I guess the lesson learned here is backup everything on your PC before you attempt any serious troubleshooting

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report