Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start Inventor 2012

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
henry.debey
721 Views, 8 Replies

How to start Inventor 2012

After installing Autodesk Inventor 2012, I can find no way to start the program.  Under "Start" there is no Autodesk or other related program group.  Can someone advise how to run Inventor 2012?  I installed on Windows 7.

Installation of Inventor 2012 seemed to go OK except for "Autodesk Design Review 2012" reported "An error occurred while installing this product."

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
TravisNave
in reply to: henry.debey

Are you certain that you actually successfully installed the product?  It should exist under your C:\Program Files or at least in the Programs and Features of Control Panel if so. 

Check your %TEMP% folder for an installation log. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 9
philip.s

Hi Henry,

What happens when you type "Inventor" into the search prompt after clicking on the start button?

If Inventor was installed completely it should show up on the list under Programs. If you don't see it, I would recommend that you try the install process again.

Message 4 of 9
henry.debey
in reply to: TravisNave

Attached is a screen capture of the final screen that was displayed in the install process.  

There isn't anything Autodesk related under C:\Program Files.  

There is C:\Autodesk\Autodesk_Inventor_2012_English_Win_32bit with modified date/-time corresponding to the install.

An installation log has not been found.  I don't understand %TEMP%.

Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 9
henry.debey
in reply to: philip.s

When "Inventor" is typed into the Start search prompt, I see files with the word inventory in them and also the screen capture file that I saved with the word Inventor in the file name.

There is nothing relating to starting Inventor.

Thanks for considering my problem.

Message 6 of 9
henry.debey

Finally found installation log.  See attached.

Message 7 of 9
TravisNave

As you can see in the log, the installation failed on a prerequisite install.  You need to correct this action.  Inform your IT or download the C++ Redistributable file directly from Microsoft.  Until this is met, you will not be able to install Inventor.  The problem is with your system and not a problem with the Autodesk software.  It cannot install until the prerequisites are met. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 8 of 9
henry.debey
in reply to: TravisNave

Thanks for pointing me to the issue.  I had several versions of the C++ redistributable installed.  I uninstalled them, downloaded the current version of vcredist_x86.exe from Microsoft, ran it and now Inventor starts.

Thanks

Message 9 of 9
TravisNave

Excellent!  I am actually impressed.  There are lots of users on here that cannot perform that task.  Glad you are up and running! 

Help Improve the Autodesk Discussion Groups
--------------------------------------------------------
If I was able to resolve your issue, please select the "Accept as Solution" option so that you can help fellow members quickly find solutions to their problems. Please add Kudos to a post if you were helped by a post that you did not author.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report