Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deploy a custom CUIx in Autocad 2014

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
dsauve44
1475 Views, 5 Replies

How to deploy a custom CUIx in Autocad 2014

Hi,

I am creating an autocad 2014 package that i will deploy with Novell ZCM 11for 20 users.

I would like to deploy the package with a unique custom acad.cuix file who will be located in the user profile.

Is it possible to integrate this one in my package with a customization tool?

Thank you for your answer.

David

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dgorsman
in reply to: dsauve44

Instead of deploying it to individual computers, put it in a network folder.  Create an ARG file for the profile, or use profile managment tools, so that users will automatically be pointing to your file.  If you are dead-set on distributing files, there are a host of tools available (SCCM, Robocopy, etc.).

Although, I would recommend against modifying the acad.cuix file.  Instead, create a custom file with your content and load it as partial.  That will make future migrations easier.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 6
randyspear6624
in reply to: dgorsman

do you have any recommendations for "profile management tools"?

Message 4 of 6

Hi Randy,

There would be quite a few options to do this.  One simple option might be to point your users to to a company.cuix file (using the 'enterprise' cuix file path) in a read-only location on a server which they can all access.  AutoCAD comes with a cuix file called custom.cuix.  This is a completely blank cuix file which is generally intended for such use.

You should also set the 'custom icon location' to be the same location as this cuix file.  Otherwise, any custom icons you make for enterprise tools/buttons will not be found by your user (they will just see clouds with a question mark instead of an actuall icon).

Even if you don't have any customisations or indeed custom icons to deploy yet it can make sense to set these paths correctly right now in order to "futureproof" your CAD setup.

How you set all your AutoCAD filepaths/support paths is another topic.  This can be done through the deployment package, after installation by an .arg file, set through each machines registry or using Autolisp.....  All with benifits and drawbacks....

Message 5 of 6
dgorsman
in reply to: randyspear6624

Not in specific, no.  Each companies needs are unique as are their available resources so its normally custom built.  For example, ours is LISP-based and is built to accomodate profiles for several third-party programs and many different clients with different drawing requirements.  Others have used network-located ARG files, launcher utility EXE's which make registry changes before calling the AutoCAD EXE... there's many different methods.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 6

@ChrisMackayOpticad wrote:

"How you set all your AutoCAD filepaths/support paths is another topic.  This can be done through the deployment package, after installation by an .arg file, set through each machines registry or using Autolisp.....  All with benifits and drawbacks...."

This is what I'm after... you can set it in the deployment for autocad but not civil 3d or revit (not sure if our revit users use similar search paths)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report