Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to avoid using folders under user profile??

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
MPitkanen
220 Views, 5 Replies

How to avoid using folders under user profile??

Hi,
Does anyone know how to create Network Deployment image that DOES NOT use folders under user profile?

I would like to create ACAD 2005 Network Deployment image that installs all support file folders and files like menus, templates, plotters, tool palettes etc. under default installation directory, C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2005\

I already found out that I can modify "Search Paths and File Locations" using Network Installation Wizard but still installation creates several folders under installation user ID*s profile...

Help would be really appreciated!

Mika
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: MPitkanen

Hi, We just copied the files from "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2005\UserDataCache" to "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2005". AutoCAD still copies the files under the user profile but we don't use them. The support files are directed to "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2005\... etc. The temporary files are also directed to C:\Temp. Juha "MPitkanen" wrote in message news:12233323.1112352777667.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Hi, > Does anyone know how to create Network Deployment image that DOES NOT use > folders under user profile? > > I would like to create ACAD 2005 Network Deployment image that installs > all support file folders and files like menus, templates, plotters, tool > palettes etc. under default installation directory, C:\Program > Files\AutoCAD 2005\ > > I already found out that I can modify "Search Paths and File Locations" > using Network Installation Wizard but still installation creates several > folders under installation user ID*s profile... > > Help would be really appreciated! > > Mika
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

"Juha" wrote in message news:424d5360_2@newsprd01... > Hi, > > We just copied the files from "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD > 2005\UserDataCache" to "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2005". > > AutoCAD still copies the files under the user profile but we don't use > them. The support files are directed to "C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2005\... > etc. Yep, Autodesk thinks your hard drives are so cheap that they can just load them up with crap even when you tell AutoCAD not to 😉 Actually, hard drives ARE so cheap and large that it really isn't a huge deal. Even with roaming profiles, the total storage isn't huge, the bandwidth hit when profiles move isn't huge, all in all just annoying. But I do hope that Autodesk allows the OPTION to abandone the mess that MicroSoft hath wrought. Truthfully, MS Office could benifit from a dose of Acad R14 style network customization. Gordon
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 10:52:27 GMT, MPitkanen wrote: >Hi, >Does anyone know how to create Network Deployment image that DOES NOT use folders under user profile? If you are using a local drive\folder (not under the user's Windows profile) you can just copy the data as specified in the other posts, and reference that in the NIW. If, however, you wish to use a network location for such materials, which allows for total user portability among machines, you must specify the UNC to the folder locations. For this example, let's say you normally map J:\ to the \\ServerName\ADT2005 share. You would use \\ServerName\ADT2003\[folder] instead of J:\[Folder] when specifying locations for custom support/user files. In the NIW docs it says something about using mapped drive letters, which requires all users to use the same letters on their workstations. However, I've found that using mapped drive letters when distributing software via GPOs causes the installation to fail. This is because the GPO installation is pushed to the machine, before the user logs on, and there is no mapped drive letter at that point. The GPO installation reads the MST tranform file and coughs up a furball when it hits that "J:\" drive. So, if you go this route, use UNCs in the NIW deployment setup. Once you push AutoCAD to a workstation via GPO, you can do two things. If you don't mind the UNC paths in the Options dialog boxes, then you are fine. If, however, you need mapped drive letters, then you can do this on a test workstation: 1. Run REGEDIT, and do a FIND for all references to "\\Servername\ADT2005\" 2. Export all of those keys to separate REG files 3. Use Notepad to combine them into a single REG file 4. Do a Find/Replace and substitute "J:\" for "\\Servername\ADT2005\" and save. 5. Import the REG file. We do this because we have multiple offices, each one referencing the same mapped drive letter to a local server share. Open AutoCAD and save this out to a standard profile which you can reference for each user's desktop icon through the properties with the /P switch. Matt mstachoni@comcast.net mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Matt,

Thanks for sharing that bit of useful information. I hope to use GPO to
push 2006 when I get around to installing it.

Jason
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:32:37 +0000, Jason Peterson wrote:

>Matt,
>
>
>Thanks for sharing that bit of useful information. I hope to use GPO to
>push 2006 when I get around to installing it.

I'm testing 2006 w/GPO sometime this week. In 2005 I had all sorts of tragic
issues which led me to use scripted installs instead.

Which, aside from having to visit each machine, worked great. Besides, I don't
know how comfortable I would be rolling out 2006 without touching every machine
to make sure everything worked

Matt
mstachoni@comcast.net
mstachoni@bhhtait.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report