Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find out who has a license checked out?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
george.watson
6415 Views, 9 Replies

How do I find out who has a license checked out?

We have a 4 seat NLM license for ACAD 2015 and we rarely use all of them (until yesterday). The license server is controlled by out IT folks and I have no access to it.  Is there a utility I can install on my local PC where the deployment was installed to find out who has the 4 seats checked out?  I had to go person to person to find out who had the program open.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
dgorsman
in reply to: george.watson

Have your IT install reporting tools (we use JTB) on the license server.  Most of them can generate an HTML useage report which is refreshed at regular intervals.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 10
TravisNave

If you go to the Server Status tab of LMTOOLS and click 'Perform Status Enquiry' it will tell you in real-time who has a license in use.  If the license also says (LINGER) beside it then it means it is a borrowed license. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 10
dgorsman
in reply to: TravisNave

From the OP: "The license server is controlled by out IT folks and I have no access to it."

Running queries directly from LMTOOLS requires access.  🙂

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 10
TravisNave
in reply to: dgorsman

I should have been more specific.  You can run just the LMTOOLS utility from your computer and then configure it to get a server status from the server itself without having physical access to the server.

Run LMTOOLS.  On the first tab Service/License File, choose Configuration using License File and then put 27000@SERVERNAME in the box.  Servername will be the hostname of your NLM server.

lmtools-remote.png

Then go to the Server Status tab and click Perform Status Enquiry.

lmtools-remote-status.png

That will get you the real-time license status that you require.

Hope that helps!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 10
george.watson

Thanks for the answers.  I don't think I have LMTOOLS installed but I have the original ACAD 2015 install disc.  Can I install the first check box (Network License Manager) and get it?  I don't want to mess up my deployment install.

ACAD-NLM-Pic.jpg

Message 7 of 10
TravisNave

Yep.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 8 of 10
george.watson

Many thanks, it worked fine.  My only observation/question is how do I make it bring up the servername after I close the utility?  I put in my 27000@ servername and when I closed it and ran the utility again, the default was back to what it was before. Is there a way to save the servername or do I just

remember the server name?

LMTools-screenshot.jpg

Message 9 of 10
TravisNave

Yeah, it reverts mine to default as well.  I am not sure of a way to make it static, though you could essentially do the same with the LMUTIL.EXE command and execute a batch program for yourself to show a status in a command prompt.

If you set the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE system environment variable to your servername, though, you won't have to change it to 27000@servername because it will just pull the servername from the variable itself.  Just do @servername in the value for that variable.  I did test that and it works.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-specify-license-se...

Good Luck!

Autodesk Forums:
Message 10 of 10
george.watson

Many Thanks.  That worked and I don't have to remember ecdcgpappms03 is my server name. 

The days of having  to use system variables for programs was a long time ago for me in the DOS days when we had 8086 PC's and had to load high the things we needed to get on the Netware network, so we could use as much of the 640k ram as possible to run Lotus 123 spreadsheets.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report