Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosted License server?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
DonovanCox
2149 Views, 12 Replies

Hosted License server?

I know it's technicly feasible to pull off, but does Autodesk allow this. 

Client wants to host LMtools for Product Design Suite Standard on a VMWare session running on a cloud service. 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
avto
in reply to: DonovanCox

Unfortunately, Autodesk License server manager hosted on a VMWare session running on a cloud service has not been tested by Installation & Licensing team at Autodesk, thus it is not supported by Autodesk. 

2014: Network License Manager System Requirements
http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=GS21880916

Regards,

Avto Chachava
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 13
DonovanCox
in reply to: avto

I realize it's not supported, but what I wanted to verify was that it is allowed, or not against a EULA somewhere. 

Message 4 of 13
avto
in reply to: DonovanCox

Below is the link for Software License Agreements, you can review it to be sure that your licensing set up is compliant.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=10235425

Avto Chachava
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 13
DarrenP
in reply to: avto

i don't believe this is legal

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 13
TravisNave
in reply to: DarrenP

Darrent is right.  Not only does it break the LSA, but you never want to have your NLM accessible from the cloud, or any Internet resource, for that matter.  It would be too easy for anyone to take your licenses. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 7 of 13
dgorsman
in reply to: TravisNave

Aren't licenses usually region-based as well?  If so, somebody on the cloud from outside the region for the issued license couldn't pull a license.

If this is for serving multiple geographically distant offices, there may be better (and less legally cloudy 😄 ) options.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 13
DarrenP
in reply to: dgorsman

dgorsman wrote:

Aren't licenses usually region-based as well?  If so, somebody on the cloud from outside the region for the issued license couldn't pull a license.

yes they are region based

dgorsman wrote:
If this is for serving multiple geographically distant offices, there may be better (and less legally cloudy 😄 ) options.

autodesk does offer A global network usage license for this

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 13

@TravisNave wrote:

Darrent is right.  Not only does it break the LSA, but you never want to have your NLM accessible from the cloud, or any Internet resource, for that matter.  It would be too easy for anyone to take your licenses. 

Depends on the type of cloud - we have a WAN across different areas of the country, but all in one region. This is basically a private cloud hosted by an ISP and accesible from any of our connected offices or a VPN connection using domain authentication. We have have the option of hosted servers on that WAN. From our point of view these two scenarios are identical:

- licenses on a server in one of our offices, accessible anywhere on the WAN

- licenses on a hosted server in our WAN, accessbile anywhere on the WAN

A physical server in one office still needs to host licenses for use in other offices, so the network security, speed and reliability needs are the same regardless of where the licenses are held.

We are not considering this option at the moment but it would be nice to know if it is legal.

From the SLA:

19. “Networked Basis” means a computing environment that includes a Computer acting as a file server which allows the Licensed Materials Installed on such Computer to be uploaded and Installed to, and operated, viewed or otherwise Accessed from, other Computers through a local area network connection or through a VPN connection subject to compliance with the VPN Requirements.

I read that as saying that as long as the server is inside your domain environment, and you don't break any regional rules like running it across multiple continents, it should be permissible by Autodesk regardless of the physical location of the hardware.

Message 10 of 13

Yes, so long as the NLM is in your private WAN or accessible thru a VPN, then it is acceptable.  However, you do not want your NLM open or accessible to the raw internet.  You also need to ensure that you are not using products outside of your region. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 11 of 13
rkmcswain
in reply to: TravisNave

@TravisNave and @DarrenP - I know this is a few years old, but are there any updates on this topic from your POV?

We like to explore putting some network licenses on a VM in a colo - for the reason that (in theory), the colo will never go down.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 12 of 13
DarrenP
in reply to: rkmcswain

is this VM owned and managed by you or your company or this a 3rd party host provider?

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
TravisNave
in reply to: rkmcswain

I would think that is the Colocation data center is hosted to you on a private network, then it would probably be okay to install this on your VM there.  Autodesk is getting a little more laxed on what it considers "hosted" providers.  With respect to the stand-alone types, this would obviously not be allowed.  But beyond being accessible to the wide-open internet, I don't see anything in the 2017 LSA that specifically prohibits the network version to be hosted, so long as it is only accessible to you.  What you wouldn't want is access to be open to anybody.  If anyone were able to access your NLM directly over the raw internet on ports 27000-27009, then they could effectively steal your licenses.  I think the LSA is written more against subleasing over a hosted server than for your own protection though. 

I have not tried running the NLM on a cloud resource yet.  My only thought would be having full access to a VM hosted because otherwise you'd have limited access to change the MAC address on a random change.  This is a very real problem that already plagues VMs now that are privately hosted.  If it happens at your Colo, then you might be hosed. 

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report