Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Group Policy Deployment - .NET Framework

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
364 Views, 9 Replies

Group Policy Deployment - .NET Framework

I'm using a group policy deployment to deploy ACAD 2005 within my office. I've run into a problem where the automated ACAD install is failing on those computers that do not yet have .NET 1.1 on them. When installing AutoCAD manually, it detects this and installs it for you if you don't have it, so I was hoping the automated install would work similarly, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Anyway, so I figure I have to add .NET as another group policy element. I found the dotnetfx.exe file within the AdminImage folder, but I know I have to use an .msi file for group policy. Can anyone tell me how to extract the msi from the dotnetfx.exe, if it's possible. Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Jenna, Rather then use a Group Policy to install .NET (Microsoft component) why not just add a run once login script and install it that way. Then let your Group Policy run for AutoCAD. MS does not supply the MSI for .NET. They want you to use the EXE. You may be able to find out more on there WEB Site though. Hope this helps. Bud Schroeder AutoCAD Test Development Autodesk Inc. "Jenna" wrote in message news:40dc16c9$1_2@newsprd01... > I'm using a group policy deployment to deploy ACAD 2005 within my office. > I've run into a problem where the automated ACAD install is failing on those > computers that do not yet have .NET 1.1 on them. When installing AutoCAD > manually, it detects this and installs it for you if you don't have it, so I > was hoping the automated install would work similarly, but that doesn't seem > to be the case. > Anyway, so I figure I have to add .NET as another group policy element. I > found the dotnetfx.exe file within the AdminImage folder, but I know I have > to use an .msi file for group policy. Can anyone tell me how to extract the > msi from the dotnetfx.exe, if it's possible. > Thanks! > >
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

That's what I thought from reading the materials on the MS website (that they wanted you to use the exe). I do use the login script for certain things, but I don't know how to do a run once install with it. How does that work? What will it do with machines that already have it? I assume it can run silently, but can it run under a power user profile, as that is what permissions all our users have? "Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.]" wrote in message news:40dc3018$1_1@newsprd01... > Hi Jenna, > > Rather then use a Group Policy to install .NET (Microsoft component) why not > just add a run once login script and install it that way. Then let your > Group Policy run for AutoCAD. MS does not supply the MSI for .NET. They > want you to use the EXE. You may be able to find out more on there WEB Site > though. > > Hope this helps. > > Bud Schroeder > AutoCAD Test Development > Autodesk Inc. > > "Jenna" wrote in message > news:40dc16c9$1_2@newsprd01... > > I'm using a group policy deployment to deploy ACAD 2005 within my office. > > I've run into a problem where the automated ACAD install is failing on > those > > computers that do not yet have .NET 1.1 on them. When installing AutoCAD > > manually, it detects this and installs it for you if you don't have it, so > I > > was hoping the automated install would work similarly, but that doesn't > seem > > to be the case. > > Anyway, so I figure I have to add .NET as another group policy element. I > > found the dotnetfx.exe file within the AdminImage folder, but I know I > have > > to use an .msi file for group policy. Can anyone tell me how to extract > the > > msi from the dotnetfx.exe, if it's possible. > > Thanks! > > > > > >
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Hi Jenna, No, you will need administrative rights on each system. The run once and run are part of your options in setting up a script. The difference is what location it writes to in the registry. What you may want to search for on the MS site are details on deploying .NET. Also .NET was part of there update process so you could use that process as well. As far as it already being installed, it just won't install. The EXE is a wrapper for there installer and it will detect if it is there or not. Hope this helps. Bud "Jenna" wrote in message news:40dc3136_3@newsprd01... > That's what I thought from reading the materials on the MS website (that > they wanted you to use the exe). > I do use the login script for certain things, but I don't know how to do a > run once install with it. How does that work? What will it do with > machines that already have it? I assume it can run silently, but can it run > under a power user profile, as that is what permissions all our users have? > > "Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.]" wrote in > message news:40dc3018$1_1@newsprd01... > > Hi Jenna, > > > > Rather then use a Group Policy to install .NET (Microsoft component) why > not > > just add a run once login script and install it that way. Then let your > > Group Policy run for AutoCAD. MS does not supply the MSI for .NET. They > > want you to use the EXE. You may be able to find out more on there WEB > Site > > though. > > > > Hope this helps. > > > > Bud Schroeder > > AutoCAD Test Development > > Autodesk Inc. > > > > "Jenna" wrote in message > > news:40dc16c9$1_2@newsprd01... > > > I'm using a group policy deployment to deploy ACAD 2005 within my > office. > > > I've run into a problem where the automated ACAD install is failing on > > those > > > computers that do not yet have .NET 1.1 on them. When installing > AutoCAD > > > manually, it detects this and installs it for you if you don't have it, > so > > I > > > was hoping the automated install would work similarly, but that doesn't > > seem > > > to be the case. > > > Anyway, so I figure I have to add .NET as another group policy element. > I > > > found the dotnetfx.exe file within the AdminImage folder, but I know I > > have > > > to use an .msi file for group policy. Can anyone tell me how to extract > > the > > > msi from the dotnetfx.exe, if it's possible. > > > Thanks! > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Thanks very much for your help and the info....I think it may be just as fast for me in this case to do a quick run around to the computers that need it and do a Windows Update as administrator (I don't think there are that many). If I miss any, I'll just catch them when the user complains that AutoCAD 2005 didn't install :) Thanks! "Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.]" wrote in message news:40dc3313$1_2@newsprd01... > Hi Jenna, > > No, you will need administrative rights on each system. The run once and > run are part of your options in setting up a script. The difference is what > location it writes to in the registry. What you may want to search for on > the MS site are details on deploying .NET. Also .NET was part of there > update process so you could use that process as well. > > As far as it already being installed, it just won't install. The EXE is a > wrapper for there installer and it will detect if it is there or not. > > Hope this helps. > > Bud > > > "Jenna" wrote in message > news:40dc3136_3@newsprd01... > > That's what I thought from reading the materials on the MS website (that > > they wanted you to use the exe). > > I do use the login script for certain things, but I don't know how to do a > > run once install with it. How does that work? What will it do with > > machines that already have it? I assume it can run silently, but can it > run > > under a power user profile, as that is what permissions all our users > have? > > > > "Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.]" wrote in > > message news:40dc3018$1_1@newsprd01... > > > Hi Jenna, > > > > > > Rather then use a Group Policy to install .NET (Microsoft component) why > > not > > > just add a run once login script and install it that way. Then let your > > > Group Policy run for AutoCAD. MS does not supply the MSI for .NET. > They > > > want you to use the EXE. You may be able to find out more on there WEB > > Site > > > though. > > > > > > Hope this helps. > > > > > > Bud Schroeder > > > AutoCAD Test Development > > > Autodesk Inc. > > > > > > "Jenna" wrote in message > > > news:40dc16c9$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > I'm using a group policy deployment to deploy ACAD 2005 within my > > office. > > > > I've run into a problem where the automated ACAD install is failing on > > > those > > > > computers that do not yet have .NET 1.1 on them. When installing > > AutoCAD > > > > manually, it detects this and installs it for you if you don't have > it, > > so > > > I > > > > was hoping the automated install would work similarly, but that > doesn't > > > seem > > > > to be the case. > > > > Anyway, so I figure I have to add .NET as another group policy > element. > > I > > > > found the dotnetfx.exe file within the AdminImage folder, but I know I > > > have > > > > to use an .msi file for group policy. Can anyone tell me how to > extract > > > the > > > > msi from the dotnetfx.exe, if it's possible. > > > > Thanks! > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Jenna, Group Policy is definitely the way to go. Download "dotnetfx.exe" from Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&DisplayLang=en or go to Microsoft.com Downloads and do search on ".net framework") to the get the latest and greatest and then just use WinZip to extract the files. You will find "netfx.msi" & "netfx1.cab" and you'll be set. Tom N. "Jenna" wrote in message news:40dc16c9$1_2@newsprd01... > I'm using a group policy deployment to deploy ACAD 2005 within my office. > I've run into a problem where the automated ACAD install is failing on > those > computers that do not yet have .NET 1.1 on them. When installing AutoCAD > manually, it detects this and installs it for you if you don't have it, so > I > was hoping the automated install would work similarly, but that doesn't > seem > to be the case. > Anyway, so I figure I have to add .NET as another group policy element. I > found the dotnetfx.exe file within the AdminImage folder, but I know I > have > to use an .msi file for group policy. Can anyone tell me how to extract > the > msi from the dotnetfx.exe, if it's possible. > Thanks! > >
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Jenna, Just for reference and for anyone else reading this post, Microsoft have details on deploying the .NET Framework via GPO here if it is of any use: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323886 The problem I found however is that you cannot control the order a Software Installation GPO is applied therefore you would have to configure and deploy the .NET package before attempting to deploy AutoCAD. -- Simon Gillis Autodesk Product Support "Jenna" wrote in message news:40dc35b1$1_1@newsprd01... > Thanks very much for your help and the info....I think it may be just as > fast for me in this case to do a quick run around to the computers that need > it and do a Windows Update as administrator (I don't think there are that > many). If I miss any, I'll just catch them when the user complains that > AutoCAD 2005 didn't install :) > Thanks! > > "Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.]" wrote in > message news:40dc3313$1_2@newsprd01... > > Hi Jenna, > > > > No, you will need administrative rights on each system. The run once and > > run are part of your options in setting up a script. The difference is > what > > location it writes to in the registry. What you may want to search for on > > the MS site are details on deploying .NET. Also .NET was part of there > > update process so you could use that process as well. > > > > As far as it already being installed, it just won't install. The EXE is a > > wrapper for there installer and it will detect if it is there or not. > > > > Hope this helps. > > > > Bud > > > > > > "Jenna" wrote in message > > news:40dc3136_3@newsprd01... > > > That's what I thought from reading the materials on the MS website (that > > > they wanted you to use the exe). > > > I do use the login script for certain things, but I don't know how to do > a > > > run once install with it. How does that work? What will it do with > > > machines that already have it? I assume it can run silently, but can it > > run > > > under a power user profile, as that is what permissions all our users > > have? > > > > > > "Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.]" wrote in > > > message news:40dc3018$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > Hi Jenna, > > > > > > > > Rather then use a Group Policy to install .NET (Microsoft component) > why > > > not > > > > just add a run once login script and install it that way. Then let > your > > > > Group Policy run for AutoCAD. MS does not supply the MSI for .NET. > > They > > > > want you to use the EXE. You may be able to find out more on there > WEB > > > Site > > > > though. > > > > > > > > Hope this helps. > > > > > > > > Bud Schroeder > > > > AutoCAD Test Development > > > > Autodesk Inc. > > > > > > > > "Jenna" wrote in message > > > > news:40dc16c9$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > > I'm using a group policy deployment to deploy ACAD 2005 within my > > > office. > > > > > I've run into a problem where the automated ACAD install is failing > on > > > > those > > > > > computers that do not yet have .NET 1.1 on them. When installing > > > AutoCAD > > > > > manually, it detects this and installs it for you if you don't have > > it, > > > so > > > > I > > > > > was hoping the automated install would work similarly, but that > > doesn't > > > > seem > > > > > to be the case. > > > > > Anyway, so I figure I have to add .NET as another group policy > > element. > > > I > > > > > found the dotnetfx.exe file within the AdminImage folder, but I know > I > > > > have > > > > > to use an .msi file for group policy. Can anyone tell me how to > > extract > > > > the > > > > > msi from the dotnetfx.exe, if it's possible. > > > > > Thanks! > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Simon, You can control the software installation order by the link order of the GPO's within the container. I deploy my apps one per GPO. In the attached image, the GPO for LDT has the lowest link order and will install first while the GPO for Civil 3D has highest link order and will install last. You can modify the link order by using the arrows just to the left of the link order column. Tom N "Simon Gillis (Autodesk Product Support)" wrote in message news:40e17913_2@newsprd01... > Jenna, > > Just for reference and for anyone else reading this post, Microsoft have > details on deploying the .NET Framework via GPO here if it is of any use: > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323886 > > The problem I found however is that you cannot control the order a Software > Installation GPO is applied therefore you would have to configure and deploy > the .NET package before attempting to deploy AutoCAD. > > -- > Simon Gillis > Autodesk Product Support > > > "Jenna" wrote in message > news:40dc35b1$1_1@newsprd01... > > Thanks very much for your help and the info....I think it may be just as > > fast for me in this case to do a quick run around to the computers that > need > > it and do a Windows Update as administrator (I don't think there are that > > many). If I miss any, I'll just catch them when the user complains that > > AutoCAD 2005 didn't install :) > > Thanks! > > > > "Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.]" wrote in > > message news:40dc3313$1_2@newsprd01... > > > Hi Jenna, > > > > > > No, you will need administrative rights on each system. The run once > and > > > run are part of your options in setting up a script. The difference is > > what > > > location it writes to in the registry. What you may want to search for > on > > > the MS site are details on deploying .NET. Also .NET was part of there > > > update process so you could use that process as well. > > > > > > As far as it already being installed, it just won't install. The EXE is > a > > > wrapper for there installer and it will detect if it is there or not. > > > > > > Hope this helps. > > > > > > Bud > > > > > > > > > "Jenna" wrote in message > > > news:40dc3136_3@newsprd01... > > > > That's what I thought from reading the materials on the MS website > (that > > > > they wanted you to use the exe). > > > > I do use the login script for certain things, but I don't know how to > do > > a > > > > run once install with it. How does that work? What will it do with > > > > machines that already have it? I assume it can run silently, but can > it > > > run > > > > under a power user profile, as that is what permissions all our users > > > have? > > > > > > > > "Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.]" wrote in > > > > message news:40dc3018$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > Hi Jenna, > > > > > > > > > > Rather then use a Group Policy to install .NET (Microsoft component) > > why > > > > not > > > > > just add a run once login script and install it that way. Then let > > your > > > > > Group Policy run for AutoCAD. MS does not supply the MSI for .NET. > > > They > > > > > want you to use the EXE. You may be able to find out more on there > > WEB > > > > Site > > > > > though. > > > > > > > > > > Hope this helps. > > > > > > > > > > Bud Schroeder > > > > > AutoCAD Test Development > > > > > Autodesk Inc. > > > > > > > > > > "Jenna" wrote in message > > > > > news:40dc16c9$1_2@newsprd01... > > > > > > I'm using a group policy deployment to deploy ACAD 2005 within my > > > > office. > > > > > > I've run into a problem where the automated ACAD install is > failing > > on > > > > > those > > > > > > computers that do not yet have .NET 1.1 on them. When installing > > > > AutoCAD > > > > > > manually, it detects this and installs it for you if you don't > have > > > it, > > > > so > > > > > I > > > > > > was hoping the automated install would work similarly, but that > > > doesn't > > > > > seem > > > > > > to be the case. > > > > > > Anyway, so I figure I have to add .NET as another group policy > > > element. > > > > I > > > > > > found the dotnetfx.exe file within the AdminImage folder, but I > know > > I > > > > > have > > > > > > to use an .msi file for group policy. Can anyone tell me how to > > > extract > > > > > the > > > > > > msi from the dotnetfx.exe, if it's possible. > > > > > > Thanks! > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 9 of 10
dstein

Very good info from everyone on this thread! Another good source of packaging and deployment information can be found at AppDeploy.com. In particular: http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/detail.asp?id=94
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

looking at your graphic, where is that program? viewing GPO in 2003 AD looks a little different. "Thomas Nsssrallah" |>Simon, |> |>You can control the software installation order by the link order of the |>GPO's within the container. I deploy my apps one per GPO. In the attached |>image, the GPO for LDT has the lowest link order and will install first |>while the GPO for Civil 3D has highest link order and will install last. |>You can modify the link order by using the arrows just to the left of the |>link order column. |> |>Tom N |> |>"Simon Gillis (Autodesk Product Support)" wrote in |>message news:40e17913_2@newsprd01... |>> Jenna, |>> |>> Just for reference and for anyone else reading this post, Microsoft have |>> details on deploying the .NET Framework via GPO here if it is of any use: |>> |>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323886 |>> |>> The problem I found however is that you cannot control the order a |>Software |>> Installation GPO is applied therefore you would have to configure and |>deploy |>> the .NET package before attempting to deploy AutoCAD. |>> |>> -- |>> Simon Gillis |>> Autodesk Product Support |>> |>> |>> "Jenna" wrote in message |>> news:40dc35b1$1_1@newsprd01... |>> > Thanks very much for your help and the info....I think it may be just as |>> > fast for me in this case to do a quick run around to the computers that |>> need |>> > it and do a Windows Update as administrator (I don't think there are |>that |>> > many). If I miss any, I'll just catch them when the user complains that |>> > AutoCAD 2005 didn't install :) |>> > Thanks! |>> > |>> > "Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.]" wrote in |>> > message news:40dc3313$1_2@newsprd01... |>> > > Hi Jenna, |>> > > |>> > > No, you will need administrative rights on each system. The run once |>> and |>> > > run are part of your options in setting up a script. The difference |>is |>> > what |>> > > location it writes to in the registry. What you may want to search |>for |>> on |>> > > the MS site are details on deploying .NET. Also .NET was part of |>there |>> > > update process so you could use that process as well. |>> > > |>> > > As far as it already being installed, it just won't install. The EXE |>is |>> a |>> > > wrapper for there installer and it will detect if it is there or not. |>> > > |>> > > Hope this helps. |>> > > |>> > > Bud |>> > > |>> > > |>> > > "Jenna" wrote in message |>> > > news:40dc3136_3@newsprd01... |>> > > > That's what I thought from reading the materials on the MS website |>> (that |>> > > > they wanted you to use the exe). |>> > > > I do use the login script for certain things, but I don't know how |>to |>> do |>> > a |>> > > > run once install with it. How does that work? What will it do with |>> > > > machines that already have it? I assume it can run silently, but |>can |>> it |>> > > run |>> > > > under a power user profile, as that is what permissions all our |>users |>> > > have? |>> > > > |>> > > > "Bud Schroeder [Autodesk Inc.]" wrote |>in |>> > > > message news:40dc3018$1_1@newsprd01... |>> > > > > Hi Jenna, |>> > > > > |>> > > > > Rather then use a Group Policy to install .NET (Microsoft |>component) |>> > why |>> > > > not |>> > > > > just add a run once login script and install it that way. Then |>let |>> > your |>> > > > > Group Policy run for AutoCAD. MS does not supply the MSI for |>.NET. |>> > > They |>> > > > > want you to use the EXE. You may be able to find out more on |>there |>> > WEB |>> > > > Site |>> > > > > though. |>> > > > > |>> > > > > Hope this helps. |>> > > > > |>> > > > > Bud Schroeder |>> > > > > AutoCAD Test Development |>> > > > > Autodesk Inc. |>> > > > > |>> > > > > "Jenna" wrote in message |>> > > > > news:40dc16c9$1_2@newsprd01... |>> > > > > > I'm using a group policy deployment to deploy ACAD 2005 within |>my |>> > > > office. |>> > > > > > I've run into a problem where the automated ACAD install is |>> failing |>> > on |>> > > > > those |>> > > > > > computers that do not yet have .NET 1.1 on them. When |>installing |>> > > > AutoCAD |>> > > > > > manually, it detects this and installs it for you if you don't |>> have |>> > > it, |>> > > > so |>> > > > > I |>> > > > > > was hoping the automated install would work similarly, but that |>> > > doesn't |>> > > > > seem |>> > > > > > to be the case. |>> > > > > > Anyway, so I figure I have to add .NET as another group policy |>> > > element. |>> > > > I |>> > > > > > found the dotnetfx.exe file within the AdminImage folder, but I |>> know |>> > I |>> > > > > have |>> > > > > > to use an .msi file for group policy. Can anyone tell me how to |>> > > extract |>> > > > > the |>> > > > > > msi from the dotnetfx.exe, if it's possible. |>> > > > > > Thanks! |>> > > > > > |>> > > > > > |>> > > > > |>> > > > > |>> > > > |>> > > > |>> > > |>> > > |>> > |>> > |>> |>> |> David

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report