Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floating license question: How to install 3ds Max on additional computers?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
RSJ863
3562 Views, 3 Replies

Floating license question: How to install 3ds Max on additional computers?

We currently have a single floating network license for 3ds Max 2009. We have the license manager installed and running on our server. I have 3dsMax installed on my computer and 2 others and it works fine. If one machine is using Max the others are unable to get a license until it exits Max, releasing the license.

I have recently installed Max on an additional computer and when I try to run Max I get the following message:

Autodesk 3ds Max 2009 License Alert
A valid license could not be obtained by the network license manager. Try again. If you are still unable to access a license, contact your system administrator. Error [1. 5. -5]

I don't know what I did wrong.

Can someone please explain to me how I can install 3ds Max 2009 on an additional machine and have it utilize the floating network license we already have installed on our server?

TIA,

Ron

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
TravisNave
in reply to: RSJ863

-5 basically means that it cannot find the license for 3DSMax.  There could be a connectivity problem or perhaps you have more than one NLM running.  Generally, when you do not have enough licenses available you will get a -4 error.  When there is no connection to the NLM, you usually get a -15.  But in your case, it seems to be making a connection but not finding the license for your product.  Are you sure you installed from the correct media? 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 4
RSJ863
in reply to: TravisNave

I installed from the original 3ds Max 2009 software disk.

Message 4 of 4
RSJ863
in reply to: RSJ863

I have solved my problem!Smiley Very Happy

I uninstalled and reinstalled again but it still didn't work, so I did a repair on the install.

The repair dialog came up and told me what the current install settings were.  I noticed that it was looking at a license directory for CAiCE on the local machine even though I had specified the network server during the 3ds Max install.

I then renamed the CAiCE directory to XCAiCE so that 3ds Max couldn't find it. When I restarted 3ds Max, instead of the previous error, it said it couldn't find the network license manager and offered me the option of specifying the server name. When I gave it the server name it proceeded to start 3ds Max in network license mode. I then quit 3ds Max and renamed the XCAiCE directory back to CAiCE. I then opened 3ds Max and it did so without any problems.

Thanks for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report