Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FlexLM and Revit Series 9

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Rick.Thoman.SG
426 Views, 12 Replies

FlexLM and Revit Series 9

We have found that Revit (via Revit Series) won't pick up a Revit Series license from FlexLM unless AutoCAD 2007 (also from Revit Series) has been previously installed.

I was hoping to use Revit via Revit Series now and defer installation of AutoCAD 2007 until a later date. It seems the only way we can do this is to install and then uninstall ACAD 2007.
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
TravisNave
in reply to: Rick.Thoman.SG

Doesn't seem to make sense. Revit doesn't require AutoCAD to be installed first, to my knowledge. What kind of error message, if any, are you getting?

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for the reply. Note this problem only applies to Revit licensed under Revit Series. You simply get the Revit dialog indicating that the application can't find the license server. In addition, there are a number of "SideBySide" errors that show up in the Windows event viewer.

If you install ACAD 2007 the problem goes away. Revit pulls a Revit Series license from the FlexLM server.

Autodesk has contacted me directly since this post in response to a subscription web based support request.

They advised that they are aware of the problem and are working on a fix. My understanding is that the issue stems from implementation of "cascade" licensing for Autodesk products.
Message 4 of 13
TravisNave

Good point. They did recently add the rollover license scheme to their files. You may have come across a real bug. Congrats. Er... well... Good luck at least.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

Hi,

The issue is known and is being worked on by the Revit team now. While the
problem is related to the new cascading license feature, it appears isolated
to the Revit application installer and not AutoCAD.

Regards,
Greg

wrote in message news:5149580@discussion.autodesk.com...
Thanks for the reply. Note this problem only applies to Revit licensed
under Revit Series. You simply get the Revit dialog indicating that the
application can't find the license server. In addition, there are a number
of "SideBySide" errors that show up in the Windows event viewer.

If you install ACAD 2007 the problem goes away. Revit pulls a Revit Series
license from the FlexLM server.

Autodesk has contacted me directly since this post in response to a
subscription web based support request.

They advised that they are aware of the problem and are working on a fix.
My understanding is that the issue stems from implementation of "cascade"
licensing for Autodesk products.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

Happy Monday Greg.
You may have more problems with the Revit licenses than you know.
I recently, Friday added Revit 9 and Viz 2007 to my license file.
Restarted and performed Status inquiry.
Did not show Viz 2007.
This morning requested a new License file for Viz.
Still wouldn't work.
Cut the Viz license and pasted it infront of the Revit license and LMTools recognized the Viz and Revit fine.
So it smells like something wrong with the Revit license.

John Postlewait
IS Department
George butler Associates, Inc.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Maybe I should start a new thread.
The paranormal world of flex.
I received my revit structure 3 licenses and pasted them after the Revit 9 license just to see what would happen.
You'll never guess, YES everything worked fine.
File this under WTF or this old coot is crazy but that's what happened.
Message 8 of 13
TravisNave

Can we file it under both, John? Ha!

Well, I sure am glad my scheduled customer install of Revit 9 is stand-alone version.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

Long as the data base can handle duplicates without barfing be my guest. Every time a new release comes out you run into this kind of stuff until everything gets hotfixed.
Check the viz or cad managers group for the Viz deployment fiasco. Been a fun couple days.

John Postlewait
IS Department
George Butler Associates, Inc.

BTW I can't believe hotfix isn't in this dictionary.
Message 10 of 13
TravisNave

Hahaha. Maybe "hotfix" will be in Service Pack 1 of Dictionary.com

Autodesk Forums:
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

Hi, we have a new issue here with Revit and the FlexLM license manager.

One of our PEs takes his laptop home and dials into the office with a 56k built in modem. (High-speed is not available in the area he lives in)

When he tries to access Revit from the dial up connected he can not get a license. AutoCAD and other programs running off of our FlexLM license server work properly.

If he connects from outside our system with VPN on a High-Speed connected he can get a license just fine.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this error. I really need to try and have this fixed for him soon.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

Borrow the license. I'm not sure WANs are supported (and he can't run VPN
over dialup, right?).

--Cy--
Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

Cy,

Thanks for the response. Others have asked to be able to check out the Revit license, but we currently only have two licenses and 6 people in and out of it throughout the day.

I don't think I want to allow borrowing the license incase the borrower doesn't come in the following day, that locks us down to one production license. Also, we have users that come in extra early or stay extra late, giving someone a checked out license that might not be using it during those times limits our production capability.

I used a combination of Dialup with VPN and Remote Desktop to get to my workstation and was able to use Revit, and the speed wasn't too bad unless I tried to work in 3D views.

I think I just need to have the user add the VPN to his dialup and then try it again.

Thanks,

Jeff

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report