Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FlexLM 8.3 upgrade to 9.2

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
367 Views, 13 Replies

FlexLM 8.3 upgrade to 9.2

I'm running FlexLM 8.3 to serve up approximately 150 Autodesk products (AutoCAD 2004, Land Desktop, Civil, Raster Design, Map, VIZ 2005, etc). Now I want to add four Revit 6.1 licenses, and learned I must upgrade the FlexLM to 9.2. I was told by our local reseller support techie, that I can install FlexLM 9.2.2 in situ, right on top of the FlexLM 8.3, and it'll upgrade it to 9.2.2 without problems. Reading in this NG, it seems that there are other more cautious recommendations, such as backing up the previous FlexLM executables and stopping the service before attempting 9.2. Any suggestions? I have some trepidation about this because of a similar scenario, on a different license server box for our ESRI ArcGIS licenses, that also uses FlexLM (an older 7.0b version), and when I attempt the upgrade there (service stopped before installation), it toasted the setup completely, and I had to reinstall the previous version. -- Mark McDonough Sasaki Associates http://www.sasaki.com
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Mark, the easiest way is to stop service and replace installed lmgrd.exe, lmtools.exe and lmutil.exe with the 9.2 versions, then start your service again. Hope this helps. Efim "Mark McDonough" wrote in message news:414075d0_3@newsprd01... > I'm running FlexLM 8.3 to serve up approximately 150 Autodesk products > (AutoCAD 2004, Land Desktop, Civil, Raster Design, Map, VIZ 2005, etc). Now > I want to add four Revit 6.1 licenses, and learned I must upgrade the FlexLM > to 9.2. I was told by our local reseller support techie, that I can install > FlexLM 9.2.2 in situ, right on top of the FlexLM 8.3, and it'll upgrade it > to 9.2.2 without problems. > > Reading in this NG, it seems that there are other more cautious > recommendations, such as backing up the previous FlexLM executables and > stopping the service before attempting 9.2. Any suggestions? > > I have some trepidation about this because of a similar scenario, on a > different license server box for our ESRI ArcGIS licenses, that also uses > FlexLM (an older 7.0b version), and when I attempt the upgrade there > (service stopped before installation), it toasted the setup completely, and > I had to reinstall the previous version. > > -- > > Mark McDonough > Sasaki Associates > http://www.sasaki.com > > >
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks, I'll give it a try tonight when the place isn't crawling with active AutoCAD users. -- Mark McDonough Sasaki Associates http://www.sasaki.com "Efim Tetelman (Autodesk, Inc)" wrote in message news:414087af$1_2@newsprd01... > Hi Mark, > > the easiest way is to stop service and replace installed lmgrd.exe, > lmtools.exe and lmutil.exe with the 9.2 versions, then start your service > again. > > Hope this helps. > > Efim > > > > "Mark McDonough" wrote in message > news:414075d0_3@newsprd01... > > I'm running FlexLM 8.3 to serve up approximately 150 Autodesk products > > (AutoCAD 2004, Land Desktop, Civil, Raster Design, Map, VIZ 2005, etc). > Now > > I want to add four Revit 6.1 licenses, and learned I must upgrade the > FlexLM > > to 9.2. I was told by our local reseller support techie, that I can > install > > FlexLM 9.2.2 in situ, right on top of the FlexLM 8.3, and it'll upgrade it > > to 9.2.2 without problems. > > > > Reading in this NG, it seems that there are other more cautious > > recommendations, such as backing up the previous FlexLM executables and > > stopping the service before attempting 9.2. Any suggestions? > > > > I have some trepidation about this because of a similar scenario, on a > > different license server box for our ESRI ArcGIS licenses, that also uses > > FlexLM (an older 7.0b version), and when I attempt the upgrade there > > (service stopped before installation), it toasted the setup completely, > and > > I had to reinstall the previous version. > > > > -- > > > > Mark McDonough > > Sasaki Associates > > http://www.sasaki.com > > > > > > > >
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

As noted above it is a simple matter of copying the 3 files over (after stopping services). I had no problem with it at all.
JPM
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

What about the 4th and last FlexLM executable file; namely adskflex.exe? Should it be copied over too? -- Mark McDonough Sasaki Associates http://www.sasaki.com "JPM" wrote in message news:16220946.1094758583520.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > As noted above it is a simple matter of copying the 3 files over (after stopping services). I had no problem with it at all. > JPM
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous

That's the daemon file that specifically identifies the product, in this case adskflex is the AutoCAD daemon for this product. It is not an update item from 8.3 to 9.2.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

ADSKFLEX.EXE is updated along with the version 9.2 FLEXlm files. You can find the new one on your product CD. You may find the whole process quicker if you stop the license manager, uninstall it then reinstall from your CD. Reboot when you are finished. While you should not need it for anything you should backup your license manager folder prior to performing either the reinstall or file replacement. Just prudent precautions. -- Jerry Milana, Autodesk Consulting "JPM" wrote in message news:3023983.1094763340120.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > That's the daemon file that specifically identifies the product, in this case adskflex is the AutoCAD daemon for this product. It is not an update item from 8.3 to 9.2.
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

How do I stop the adskflex.exe program. Even when I stop the server, and verify by looking at what services are running, the license server is indeed not running. When I try to install 9.22 from CD, it still won't allow the installation until adskflex.exe is stopped somehow. Any suggestions? -- Mark McDonough Sasaki Associates http://www.sasaki.com "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in message news:4140cfeb$1_1@newsprd01... > ADSKFLEX.EXE is updated along with the version 9.2 FLEXlm files. You can > find the new one on your product CD. You may find the whole process quicker > if you stop the license manager, uninstall it then reinstall from your CD. > Reboot when you are finished. > > While you should not need it for anything you should backup your license > manager folder prior to performing either the reinstall or file replacement. > Just prudent precautions. > -- > Jerry Milana, > Autodesk Consulting > > "JPM" wrote in message > news:3023983.1094763340120.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > That's the daemon file that specifically identifies the product, in this > case adskflex is the AutoCAD daemon for this product. It is not an update > item from 8.3 to 9.2. > >
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

I didn't make it clear, that I cannot UNINSTALL the previous version of FlexLM becausse of the adskflex.exe running. -- Mark McDonough Sasaki Associates http://www.sasaki.com "Mark McDonough" wrote in message news:4140e313_2@newsprd01... > How do I stop the adskflex.exe program. Even when I stop the server, and > verify by looking at what services are running, the license server is indeed > not running. When I try to install 9.22 from CD, it still won't allow the > installation until adskflex.exe is stopped somehow. Any suggestions? > > -- > > Mark McDonough > Sasaki Associates > http://www.sasaki.com > > "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in message > news:4140cfeb$1_1@newsprd01... > > ADSKFLEX.EXE is updated along with the version 9.2 FLEXlm files. You can > > find the new one on your product CD. You may find the whole process > quicker > > if you stop the license manager, uninstall it then reinstall from your CD. > > Reboot when you are finished. > > > > While you should not need it for anything you should backup your license > > manager folder prior to performing either the reinstall or file > replacement. > > Just prudent precautions. > > -- > > Jerry Milana, > > Autodesk Consulting > > > > "JPM" wrote in message > > news:3023983.1094763340120.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > That's the daemon file that specifically identifies the product, in this > > case adskflex is the AutoCAD daemon for this product. It is not an update > > item from 8.3 to 9.2. > > > > > >
Message 10 of 14
Anonymous

Did you uninstalled your previous version of FLEXlm? Efim "Mark McDonough" wrote in message news:4140e313_2@newsprd01... > How do I stop the adskflex.exe program. Even when I stop the server, and > verify by looking at what services are running, the license server is indeed > not running. When I try to install 9.22 from CD, it still won't allow the > installation until adskflex.exe is stopped somehow. Any suggestions? > > -- > > Mark McDonough > Sasaki Associates > http://www.sasaki.com > > "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in message > news:4140cfeb$1_1@newsprd01... > > ADSKFLEX.EXE is updated along with the version 9.2 FLEXlm files. You can > > find the new one on your product CD. You may find the whole process > quicker > > if you stop the license manager, uninstall it then reinstall from your CD. > > Reboot when you are finished. > > > > While you should not need it for anything you should backup your license > > manager folder prior to performing either the reinstall or file > replacement. > > Just prudent precautions. > > -- > > Jerry Milana, > > Autodesk Consulting > > > > "JPM" wrote in message > > news:3023983.1094763340120.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > That's the daemon file that specifically identifies the product, in this > > case adskflex is the AutoCAD daemon for this product. It is not an update > > item from 8.3 to 9.2. > > > > > >
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

It doesn't stop because you probably didn't follow the instruction for borrowed licenses so, you need to reboot your server, launch LMTOOLS, in Start/Stop/Reread tab check Force Server Shutdown checkbox and then click on Stop Server button. After that you will be able to uninstall FLEXlm. Hope this helps. Regards, Efim "Mark McDonough" wrote in message news:4140e373$1_1@newsprd01... > I didn't make it clear, that I cannot UNINSTALL the previous version of > FlexLM becausse of the adskflex.exe running. > > -- > > Mark McDonough > Sasaki Associates > http://www.sasaki.com > > "Mark McDonough" wrote in message > news:4140e313_2@newsprd01... > > How do I stop the adskflex.exe program. Even when I stop the server, and > > verify by looking at what services are running, the license server is > indeed > > not running. When I try to install 9.22 from CD, it still won't allow the > > installation until adskflex.exe is stopped somehow. Any suggestions? > > > > -- > > > > Mark McDonough > > Sasaki Associates > > http://www.sasaki.com > > > > "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in > message > > news:4140cfeb$1_1@newsprd01... > > > ADSKFLEX.EXE is updated along with the version 9.2 FLEXlm files. You > can > > > find the new one on your product CD. You may find the whole process > > quicker > > > if you stop the license manager, uninstall it then reinstall from your > CD. > > > Reboot when you are finished. > > > > > > While you should not need it for anything you should backup your license > > > manager folder prior to performing either the reinstall or file > > replacement. > > > Just prudent precautions. > > > -- > > > Jerry Milana, > > > Autodesk Consulting > > > > > > "JPM" wrote in message > > > news:3023983.1094763340120.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > > That's the daemon file that specifically identifies the product, in > this > > > case adskflex is the AutoCAD daemon for this product. It is not an > update > > > item from 8.3 to 9.2. > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks Efim I tried to uninstall the previous version, I'm not allowed to uninstall because it says the adskflex.exe is in use. At one point in the process, I did try the Force Server Shutdown switch because a couple of the licenses are in fact borrowed, but I believe I had the same results. I will try again another day.. following your directions, possibly I need to resort to booting to safe mode. But obviously, I have to schedule a server outage with our users, whish is tough with a 250 person office with 140 CAD users. -- Mark McDonough Sasaki Associates http://www.sasaki.com "Efim Tetelman (Autodesk, Inc)" wrote in message news:4140e46b$1_2@newsprd01... > Did you uninstalled your previous version of FLEXlm? > > Efim > > > "Mark McDonough" wrote in message > news:4140e313_2@newsprd01... > > How do I stop the adskflex.exe program. Even when I stop the server, and > > verify by looking at what services are running, the license server is > indeed > > not running. When I try to install 9.22 from CD, it still won't allow the > > installation until adskflex.exe is stopped somehow. Any suggestions? > > > > -- > > > > Mark McDonough > > Sasaki Associates > > http://www.sasaki.com > > > > "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in > message > > news:4140cfeb$1_1@newsprd01... > > > ADSKFLEX.EXE is updated along with the version 9.2 FLEXlm files. You > can > > > find the new one on your product CD. You may find the whole process > > quicker > > > if you stop the license manager, uninstall it then reinstall from your > CD. > > > Reboot when you are finished. > > > > > > While you should not need it for anything you should backup your license > > > manager folder prior to performing either the reinstall or file > > replacement. > > > Just prudent precautions. > > > -- > > > Jerry Milana, > > > Autodesk Consulting > > > > > > "JPM" wrote in message > > > news:3023983.1094763340120.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > > That's the daemon file that specifically identifies the product, in > this > > > case adskflex is the AutoCAD daemon for this product. It is not an > update > > > item from 8.3 to 9.2. > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

I'm not sure if your users will be able to check out licenses now after you tried to stop that server unsuccessfully, so my suggestion to you is reboot that server and do upgrade, if you do this in less than 15 minutes your users will not notice that FLEX server is down. Efim "Mark McDonough" wrote in message news:4140ea62$1_3@newsprd01... > Thanks Efim > > I tried to uninstall the previous version, I'm not allowed to uninstall > because it says the adskflex.exe is in use. At one point in the process, I > did try the Force Server Shutdown switch because a couple of the licenses > are in fact borrowed, but I believe I had the same results. I will try > again another day.. following your directions, possibly I need to resort to > booting to safe mode. But obviously, I have to schedule a server outage > with our users, whish is tough with a 250 person office with 140 CAD users. > > -- > > Mark McDonough > Sasaki Associates > http://www.sasaki.com > > "Efim Tetelman (Autodesk, Inc)" wrote in > message news:4140e46b$1_2@newsprd01... > > Did you uninstalled your previous version of FLEXlm? > > > > Efim > > > > > > "Mark McDonough" wrote in message > > news:4140e313_2@newsprd01... > > > How do I stop the adskflex.exe program. Even when I stop the server, > and > > > verify by looking at what services are running, the license server is > > indeed > > > not running. When I try to install 9.22 from CD, it still won't allow > the > > > installation until adskflex.exe is stopped somehow. Any suggestions? > > > > > > -- > > > > > > Mark McDonough > > > Sasaki Associates > > > http://www.sasaki.com > > > > > > "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in > > message > > > news:4140cfeb$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > ADSKFLEX.EXE is updated along with the version 9.2 FLEXlm files. You > > can > > > > find the new one on your product CD. You may find the whole process > > > quicker > > > > if you stop the license manager, uninstall it then reinstall from your > > CD. > > > > Reboot when you are finished. > > > > > > > > While you should not need it for anything you should backup your > license > > > > manager folder prior to performing either the reinstall or file > > > replacement. > > > > Just prudent precautions. > > > > -- > > > > Jerry Milana, > > > > Autodesk Consulting > > > > > > > > "JPM" wrote in message > > > > news:3023983.1094763340120.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > > > That's the daemon file that specifically identifies the product, in > > this > > > > case adskflex is the AutoCAD daemon for this product. It is not an > > update > > > > item from 8.3 to 9.2. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

Just to finish the thread, we upgraded successfully. It was necessary to change the startup properties on the services from automatic to manual, so that the service wasn't running with the next reboot, then we were able to uninstall 8.3 and install 9.22, and all licenses including the new Revits reported as available. -- Mark McDonough Sasaki Associates http://www.sasaki.com "Efim Tetelman (Autodesk, Inc)" wrote in message news:4140ec34$1_1@newsprd01... > I'm not sure if your users will be able to check out licenses now after you > tried to stop that server unsuccessfully, so my suggestion to you is reboot > that server and do upgrade, if you do this in less than 15 minutes your > users will not notice that FLEX server is down. > > Efim > > > "Mark McDonough" wrote in message > news:4140ea62$1_3@newsprd01... > > Thanks Efim > > > > I tried to uninstall the previous version, I'm not allowed to uninstall > > because it says the adskflex.exe is in use. At one point in the process, > I > > did try the Force Server Shutdown switch because a couple of the licenses > > are in fact borrowed, but I believe I had the same results. I will try > > again another day.. following your directions, possibly I need to resort > to > > booting to safe mode. But obviously, I have to schedule a server outage > > with our users, whish is tough with a 250 person office with 140 CAD > users. > > > > -- > > > > Mark McDonough > > Sasaki Associates > > http://www.sasaki.com > > > > "Efim Tetelman (Autodesk, Inc)" wrote in > > message news:4140e46b$1_2@newsprd01... > > > Did you uninstalled your previous version of FLEXlm? > > > > > > Efim > > > > > > > > > "Mark McDonough" wrote in message > > > news:4140e313_2@newsprd01... > > > > How do I stop the adskflex.exe program. Even when I stop the server, > > and > > > > verify by looking at what services are running, the license server is > > > indeed > > > > not running. When I try to install 9.22 from CD, it still won't allow > > the > > > > installation until adskflex.exe is stopped somehow. Any suggestions? > > > > > > > > -- > > > > > > > > Mark McDonough > > > > Sasaki Associates > > > > http://www.sasaki.com > > > > > > > > "jerry milana (Autodesk Consulting)" wrote in > > > message > > > > news:4140cfeb$1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > ADSKFLEX.EXE is updated along with the version 9.2 FLEXlm files. > You > > > can > > > > > find the new one on your product CD. You may find the whole process > > > > quicker > > > > > if you stop the license manager, uninstall it then reinstall from > your > > > CD. > > > > > Reboot when you are finished. > > > > > > > > > > While you should not need it for anything you should backup your > > license > > > > > manager folder prior to performing either the reinstall or file > > > > replacement. > > > > > Just prudent precautions. > > > > > -- > > > > > Jerry Milana, > > > > > Autodesk Consulting > > > > > > > > > > "JPM" wrote in message > > > > > news:3023983.1094763340120.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > > > > > That's the daemon file that specifically identifies the product, > in > > > this > > > > > case adskflex is the AutoCAD daemon for this product. It is not an > > > update > > > > > item from 8.3 to 9.2. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report