Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to acquire a license

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
newleafmgmt
1458 Views, 5 Replies

Failed to acquire a license

We are still having difficulty successfully configuring our Autodesk Vault Pro 2013 initial installation.  We are getting the dreaded "Failed to acquire a license message"

Client machines cannot connect to the Autodesk Vault Pro server install we have running on sbs2011.  

Here's the progress I've made so far: 

• installed Vault server and client successfully
  • on server side, set up test vault and user to connect to it
  • received lic file from autodesk
  • in LMTOOLS, entered the lmgrd.exe, license file and debug log file into lmtools
  • succesfully started server on lmtools and completed a reread of the license file in lmtools
  • client can connect to server machine and see the test vault that we created on the server side 

I know we're close because we can see the test vaults that we created on the client side. We've disabled ipv6, so that's not it.  Any idea why clients still can't acquire a license?

Any help is hugely appreciated, and thank you in advance!

Tom

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
TravisNave
in reply to: newleafmgmt

Welcome to the community. 

If the ADMS Vault server is on the same system as the License Manager, then it is probably still an IPv6 issue, even if you have disabled it.

The reason is because the license is not obtained by the client, but actually by the Vault itself.  So if it is on the same server as the license manager, then it needs to connect locally to itself using IPv4.  By default, the localhost on IPv6 is still going to be ::1 rather than 127.0.0.1, as predicted -- even if disabled. 

For more information about Network License Manager connectivity issues and IPv6, please see my discussion post here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Network-License-Error-1-5-15-and-IPv6/td-p/2982...

Make sure your license manager shows licenses available and you should be set.

Also, allow ports 2080 and 27000 on the server for license connectivity thru the firewall.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 6
newleafmgmt
in reply to: TravisNave

Travis,

Thank you so very much for your most informative reply. The ADMS Vault
server is indeed on the same system (computer) as the License Manager. I
read your explanation several times, clicked through to the link and
followed the instructions explicitly. Sadly, I receive the same error.

More clarification:

1. the popup listed in the Network License Error
linkyou
sent is not the same popup I receive. Mine, on the client's machine,
is a V Pro message which simply says "Failed to acquire a license."
2. Confirmed User Account Settings > Never Notify
3. I edited the HOSTS file you listed and forced it to recognize
127.0.0.1 as IPv4, then reran a cmd line, pinged the server, and saw that
127.0.0.1 was listed. I did this first for server-side, then for
client-side as well
4. LMTOOLS server started successfully
5. Client machine can see the test Vaults I set up on the server
6. "Locating server" for 20 seconds or so, then says "Failed to acquire
license."

I have also tried amending the LICPATH.LIC file, replacing the NetBIOS
hostname with the IPv4 address. Still the same error message. I'm stumped!

Regards,
Tom
Message 4 of 6
TravisNave

Just to clarify, your clients are not pinging the server and getting a 127.0.0.1 are they?!?  The clients need to get the correct IPv4 address of the server (preferably static) and the server itself (with the NLM and ADMS) needs to ping itself as localhost 127.0.0.1

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 6
newleafmgmt
in reply to: TravisNave

Your powers of deduction are exemplary!  Indeed client machines are getting a 127.0.0.1 when they ping the server.  So they should instead get the real IP address.  How can I amend this?

Thank you,

Tom

Message 6 of 6
TravisNave

Put the IP address of the server and the server name in the hosts file of
the clients. That'll fix it.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report