Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FLEXnet Publisher License Server Manager

39 REPLIES 39
SOLVED
Message 1 of 40
TravisNave
10175 Views, 39 Replies

FLEXnet Publisher License Server Manager

Have any of you given the latest FLEXnet Publisher NLM a try?  I recently installed it and think the web interface has a lot of future promise for the License Manager.  As you can see, I am currently running it with my Subscription license adskflex vendor. 

1384iD879788E55355353

Enjoy! 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Tags (1)
39 REPLIES 39
Message 21 of 40
DarrenP
in reply to: Darin.Green

i think it is pretty cool

hopefully autodesk goes to this with the 2013 products

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 22 of 40
TravisNave

Darin.Green,

If you installed and run it as a service, you can control its startup behavior from Windows services.  I got your PM on creating an installation guide.  I'll probably work on that shortly as it is a good idea.  I am unable to PM you back due to a duplication name conflict in the system.  You might want to send a PM to wrighte and have him take a look. 

Thanks!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 23 of 40
Dazzman
in reply to: DarrenP

I've been having a play with it and have a couple of issues.

When I test it with my BDSP license it increases the license count of features 73000BLDSYS_2010_0F and 72200ARCHdesk_2010_OF to 2 instead of 1 on that feature it also does the same thing to those features on the other BDSP license that I have the old license system seems to count the correctly?

Next I can see that it shows the HOST that has the license but where does it show that the license is booked out on the old vsystem it used to say linger but I can't see it on this version?

Any ideas.

Message 24 of 40
TravisNave
in reply to: Dazzman

I do not have any duplication of seats showing on mine.  Might be some sort of anomoly or adding the individual seats under Subscription to the Subscruption _F master feature code. 

As for the borrowing, I can confirm that I do not see a location where the status lists that it is borrowed.  Good find...

Autodesk Forums:
Message 25 of 40
TravisNave

Darin.Green,

I added a new post for installing the FLEXnet.  You can read it here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Installing-the-FLEXnet-License-Administrator/td...

Autodesk Forums:
Message 26 of 40
lumccarty
in reply to: TravisNave

Well... this has been a pretty interesting article so far - hope everyone hasn't gone home as I have a few questions.

I am new to Network licensing for Inventor and as such, have newbie issues in that area. I'll lay this out a bit and hopefully someone can help me sort what is going on.

I installed the Adesk Network tools (lmgrd & lmtools) and never could get the license manager to work, nothing has changed since I got my license file, it is as it came to me. I did discover through services that as soon as the service started - it shut down immediately - couldn't figure that one out.

So I tried installing lmadmin, the install went exactly as described on the first page of this article. The license server appears to be up and running in lmadmin with 8 licenses:

1-geo.png

I am not however; able to use them - all my clients report that "myserver" is not responding, I have given lmadmin and adskflex complete access through my firewall - still nothing.

*It should be noted that I do have another application up and running on it's own rebranded (much like what autodesk does) lmgrd and it works just fine. No - there are no port conflicts, I checked all applications and license files thouroughly.

Any ideas?

Message 27 of 40
DarrenP
in reply to: lumccarty

the applications that are working are they on the same machines as inventor or are they separate machines?

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 28 of 40
subpartner

Hello Darren,

It is basically a classroom/training environment - all students machines are configured exactly the same and have the same applications on them. So yes, Inventor is side by side with other applications that are using Flex for licensing.

The "server" box is the only machine that does not have the "student" image. All machines are Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit machines and we are on a private subnet/island unto ourselves.

Probably the most confusing part for me has been why the Autodesk Network Tools (lmgrd) wouldn't work at all on the server machine. Do note that I have completely removed the stock Autodesk lmgrd/lmtools at this point in time.

Thank you for your swift reply!

Message 29 of 40
DarrenP
in reply to: subpartner

what OS is the server?

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 30 of 40
DarrenP

are you using the latest flex LM which 11.9

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 31 of 40
subpartner

All machines, including the server box are Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit.

I downloaded the lmadmin from Flex yesterday, so I believe it is current.

As for the boxed lmgrd that came with Inventor; I think it was 11.5 - at any rate I checked the version when I started on this sojourn to make sure lmadmin was compatible with the adskflex.exe I have, and it fell within the compatible parameters per this article. I did not however log all version numbers of everything I tried - I would have to reinstall that softare to verify 100%.

The version of adskflex.exe I am using came from the Autodesk Inventor 2012 64-Bit installer.

I have identified two problems:

• Unable to connect to an up and running license server (lmadmin) on the same subnet/workgroup
  • Unable to correctly configure the stock Autodesk Network tools on the server box
Message 32 of 40
DarrenP

if your server is windows 7

did you use the IPv6 version of flex lm?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=10976858&linkID=9240698

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 33 of 40
subpartner

uh... I used what came with the installer; if thats not the same then I guess I did not. Thank you for that link, I will give it a go again tomorrow morning  and update the conversation with the results - end of day for me here now.

Message 34 of 40
TravisNave

If you had another 3rd party app using LMGRD that was working and you added the Autodesk flavor to the mix, that's probably why you were having issues.  Since your other LMGRD works, what you want instead is to combine the license managers into one.  Just use the other one.  Copy in your adskflex.exe vendor daemon and configure the service to use the other lmgrd.exe (upgrade it if necessary.)  All of my instructions are in my Combining License Files KB below in my signature.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 35 of 40
lumccarty
in reply to: TravisNave

After resolving my IPv6 issue; lmadmin worked like a charm - no muss, no fuss - straight forward and simple - props for this article; excellent alternative to LMTOOLS/LMGRD.

Message 36 of 40

Hi Travis,

Sorry about the basic question in this advanced post!

What is the standard network license manager/ software that comes with Autodesk software and is supported by Autodesk?  Is FlexNet Publisher a 3rd party license management software that is not supported by Autodesk?  

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Message 37 of 40

The flexnet software that is included with the Autodesk media is supported by Autodesk. The Flexera is the developers of the stardard FlexLM license manager and FLEXnet Publisher, but Autodesk only support the FlexLM license manager "LMTOOLS".

If this information was helpful, please consider marking it as an Accepted Solution by using the Accept as Solution

Message 38 of 40

This thread is about an alternative license GUI from Flexera that still uses the same lmgrd master daemon but does not use LMTOOLS.  Instead it is web-based.  It works exactly the same as the one that comes with the Autodesk software because it is the same software.  It is just a different presentation. 

Hope that helps.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 39 of 40
jpdomein

Hi, responding to a very old post. i know.

We are running Flexnet publisher for another program and would like to run also Autodesk licenses on this instead of the atiquated lmgrd.

Tried a lot but just can't figure this out.

Could anyone give me a hint to get this done?

Ports are set to 27000 and 27001, that should be no problem.

Regards, Jan

Message 40 of 40
TravisNave
in reply to: jpdomein

It should work so long as you copy in the adskflex.exe file. My
instructions are outdated on this, but it still should be accurate enough
to get you up and running. Combining license managers works just fine.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report