Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely Slow Deployment Creation

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
322 Views, 2 Replies

Extremely Slow Deployment Creation

I have experienced this problem since the 2006 products have come out. Here is the scenario: The server holding the deployment is a Windows 2003 Server within a Domain with or without SP1. The antivirus being used is Symantec (all services and vptray program have been disabled or stopped). Windows installer version 3.1. Happens with various Autodesk products, especially Inventor 10, Civil3D, Electrical 2K6, MDT 2K6, etc. Even though I have all Symantec services disabled or stopped, I believe this still is causing the slow deployment. If Symantec is not one of the variables, deployments seem to go smoothly (able to create in a half hour or less). With the above factors, creating a deployment could take hours up to a day to complete. This happens whether you create (run the Network Deployment Wizard) the deployment from a workstation or create it from the server.

The only way I have found to get around the problem is to create the deployment on a workstation that is not part of the company domain and does not run the Symantec Antivirus products. Once the deployment is created, I have to copy the deployment up to the server and change the several path issues in the INI file and installation shortcut. After that the product will deploy fine without any degradation.

Has anyone else run into this issue and have you narrowed it down to what is really causing this issue? It seems eerily similar to the issue that the Mechanical products had whenever SP2 came out for XP although this issue seems to have more to do with creating the deployment rather than installing from a deployment or CD to a client.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
TravisNave
in reply to: Anonymous

Symantec / Norton Antivirus does, in fact, make the deployment process horribly slow. Every client that I have installed deployments on have been terribly slow when running Symantec Antivirus.

It only seems to take off when the real-time virus protection is disabled. I have found that disabling the service is not enough. If the deployment is being created across the network, you'll have to disable the anti-virus on both ends as well.

Open the Symantec tray icon and disable the real-time virus scanner. Good luck.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Even though real-time scanning may be off, Symantec Corp R10 has a new
feature called "Tamper protection" that has been known to cause all sorts of
performance issues with Autodesk products. Track down that setting and
turn it off.

Also, server backup services have been known to slow deployment creation
down. Look for Backup Exec services and try turning them off.

Finally, to make sure its not related to how your DVD or CD rom drive reads
the CD, manually copy the cd contents to a folder, and create the deployment
image from that.

Chris

wrote in message news:5049337@discussion.autodesk.com...
Symantec / Norton Antivirus does, in fact, make the deployment process
horribly slow. Every client that I have installed deployments on have been
terribly slow when running Symantec Antivirus.

It only seems to take off when the real-time virus protection is disabled.
I have found that disabling the service is not enough. If the deployment is
being created across the network, you'll have to disable the anti-virus on
both ends as well.

Open the Symantec tray icon and disable the real-time virus scanner. Good
luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report