Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Every Autodesk PDSU Service Pack hangs on installation

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jweiss1313
585 Views, 6 Replies

Every Autodesk PDSU Service Pack hangs on installation

I have a problem that started a couple of weeks ago.  I tried to install Inventor 2014 SP1 Update 3 on a computer in my engineering department.  The install starts and then hangs indefinitely when copying files.  I had to kill the process in task manager.  I had the same thing on a different workstation on Monday.  Yesterday I tried to install Inventor 2014 SP2 on my workstation and the exact same thing happened.  I then tried to install an Alias 2014 SP2 on my workstation and it also hangs and never completes.  I've tried turning off UAC, disabling anti-virus, deleting temp folder.  I've been a CAD Administrator for over 10 years and I've installed many service packs and updates and I never had this problem before.

My IS department says it's an Autodesk issue because we were able to install an adobe update with not problems.  I need to get to the bottom of this because I need to be able to install SP's and updates.

Does anyone else have this problem or any idea what may be causing it?

John Weiss

CAD Administrator

Follett Corporation

Dell Precision T7500 workstation

Windows 6 X64

16 GB RAM

Nvidia Quadro 5000

PDSU 2014

Vault Pro 2014

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dgorsman
in reply to: jweiss1313

Have any hotfixes or attempted fixes been manually applied e.g. renaming or deleting a DLL or EXE and replacing it with something else?

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 7
dembkod

jweiss

Hello. I would make sure you are installing from a local drive and not a server location, just to eliminate a variable. Next, turn off any start tray items that are running and not critical.

Theoretically, any program installed on the system could be causing you grief. Hard to say which one without flipping switches and testing.

I would try a different user account if you have not tried yet too. Sometimes this helps.   

Thank you for taking part in our community!

David Dembkoski
Message 4 of 7
jweiss1313
in reply to: dgorsman

Theses update and service packs are the original msp files that I downloaded from Autodesk. 

Every single msp file I downloaded from Autodesk hangs on everyone of the computers and laptops I tried to install them on

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.
Message 5 of 7
jweiss1313
in reply to: dembkod

I turned off all programs from start up tray and copied msp file to desktop.  It still hangs.  I can't get any Autodesk msp file to work on any computer.

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.
Message 6 of 7
jweiss1313
in reply to: dembkod

Hi David,

My IS support tech ran procmon on my machine and found out that the installation was trying to access the server that the original installation was run from.  The problem with that is we replaced that server at the beginning of the year with a new server (and new server name).  They did something to redirect to the new server and the SP installation completed successfully.

There should be something done with your service packs so they don't try to access the server from which the original deployment was run from.  I'm sure we are not the only ones who replaced a server and had these issues.

Can you provide an application or exe that can change this reference to the original installation server to a new server?  Something like this would be extremely helpful for customers that have this issue.

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.
Message 7 of 7
karthur1

I see this is an old post, but hopefully it will help others looking for an answer to this.

Try unplugging your network cable and run again.  That usually solves the issue for me.

Kirk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report