Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 2738 when installing AutoCAD 2012

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
coreyiyican
19172 Views, 19 Replies

Error 2738 when installing AutoCAD 2012

I'm having more or less the same problems as the user from this post: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Unable-to-Install-ACAD-2012/td-p/2971196

When I attempt to install AutoCAD 2012 (with or without Review or the Fusion add-on), I get an error message 2738 in the middle of the installation and at the conclusion AutoCAD cannot install.  I've done just about everything suggested ('repair' Windows NET 4.0, re-start a million times, etc. etc.). 

I'm just wondering if anyone else (besides the guy above) had this issue and if it's been resolved.  Thanks.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
emily.xu
in reply to: coreyiyican

I would suggest you using the system default Administrator to login your system, then install the latest update for your OS and try to install AutoCAD.

Emily Xu
Product Support
Message 3 of 20

Hi,

Did Emily's suggestion help? If not, please open the Install log, not the setup.log, and search for the error in the Install log. If the error shows a failure similar to the following just prior to the 2738 error:

(SERVER)     MSI (s) (B8:10) [09:06:19:519]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIA4AA.tmp, Entrypoint: CheckInstalledFonts
(SERVER)     MSI (s) (B8:14) [09:06:27:181]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=AcadAddin.UpdateContentService.34608361_A001_1A01_B26F_8D0B4BE5AD02,,)
(SERVER)     MSI (s) (B8:14) [09:06:27:183]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=AcadAddin.UpdateContentService.34608361_A001_1A01_B26F_8D0B4BE5AD02,ActionType=1062,Source=On error resume next

If this is the case, then be sure to first remove the Content Service from the Control Panel > Programs and Features (Add Remove Programs).  Then try the install again.

-Alison

Alison Gangler
Install Engineer/PDG-AEC Product Group
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 20
tom.elsass
in reply to: alison.gangler

Alison,

I am having the same issue with the error 2738.  I've tried everything I know how to and then tried to uninstall the program.  I was able to remove everything except the "Autodesk Content Service".  Everytime I try to uninstall it it gives me the same error (2738).  I can't get it off my hardrive.  I tried to install another uninstall program but to no avail.

What would you suggest now?

Thanks for your time,

Tom

Message 5 of 20
alison.gangler
in reply to: tom.elsass

Hi,

Were you able to verify in the install/uninstall MSI log that the error is being triggered by the Content Service? If you need to enable the verbose logging for Windows Installer, you can use the Microsoft Knowledgebase article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300

Also, you can remove the Content Service by using Revo Uninstaller. The free version of this utility can be downloaded from:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Alison

Alison Gangler
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 20
tom.elsass
in reply to: alison.gangler

I was able to get it installed yesterday.  I'm not sure what I did, but it is on and working.

I tried all the avenues I could find here in the discussion pages (Revo, C-Cleaner, Command prompts, etc..) and could not get the content service off my computer or the program to install properly.

In a last ditch effort I logged back onto Autodesk using internet explorer (instead of Chrome) and gave it another shot.  This time it worked.  Not sure why exactly, but after hours of rebooting frustrations, I don't really care.

It's on, it works, I'm happy.

Thanks for the quick response.

Tom

Message 7 of 20
alison.gangler
in reply to: tom.elsass

Glad you were able to get it working!

Cheers,

Alison

Alison Gangler
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 20

I cannot install the autodesk too.. everytime i install it i get and error in the middle of the installation and i do not know what to do !

Im a student and i need this program up and running as soon as possible.

Please help me and provide me with you knowlage.

Best Regards

Tarek el-bassiouni

Message 9 of 20

Hi,

Please check the Control Panel > Programs and Features/Add Remove Programs and check to make sure that AutoCAD as well as Autodesk Content Service are not listed in the list of installed programs. If either of these are listed, please click to uninstall them.

You can also browse to the TEMP directory, accessed by typing '%temp%' in the START > RUN and look for the setup log and install log for AutoCAD 2012. These logs will tell the exact error message and cause of the failure and can be opened in any text editor, notepad, etc.

Please let me know if this helps.

Cheers,

Alison

Alison Gangler
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 20

Hi,

I also just saw this link and wanted to send it as it may help resolve the issue:

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2011/07/error-2738-installation-could-not-access-vbscript...

Cheers,

Alison

Alison Gangler
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 20
Osi_turk

Hello everyone. i know this problem and solution too ))) please fallow this steps.

first of all you have to delete the relevant registry entries and re-register the DLL.
Please make sure you back up the registry/system before you make any changes to the registry (how u can look at from microsft official site)
To delete the registry, please run following commands with elevated privileges

On Windows 7/64 bit System
1-) reg delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11CF-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}" /f
2-) reg delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11CF-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}" /f
u must delete both

optional if you have 32 bit win7
On Windows 7 32 bit
reg delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11CF-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}" /f

To Re-register the DLL please run following commands with elevated privileges
make copy+paste one by one
On Windows 7 64 bit System
c:\windows\syswow64\regsvr32 vbscript.dll
c:\windows\system32\regsvr32 vbscript.dll

On Windows 7 32 bit (optional for 32 bit win7)
c:\windows\system32\regsvr32 vbscript.dll

this step is so important. if u want to solve then you have to trust me. If you had McAfee Antivirus in the past (even if you have unistalled it might leave some trace)
please use this tool to remove it completly.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

now intsall again. it will work, be sure )))) if you had activation problem after install then write me again. i know that slotion too...
Best Regard
Osman from Turkey

Message 12 of 20

Try "Fix Reg Cleaner", download it for free, you only buy it if you want. It worked whit me, uninstalled autdesk review, tough, after still did not installed autodesk.

Message 13 of 20
yzyzjack

hello,

my autodesk content service couldn't be uninstalled....even in the syetem safe mode..

also 2738 error...how can i make it??   also the regedit i had already deleted the terms..but it didn't work.....0 - 0

Message 14 of 20
yzyzjack
in reply to: Osi_turk

I did't find a \{B54F3741-5B07-11CF-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}" /f in the HKCU just in HKCR!! how?

Message 15 of 20
bhardman90

That doesn't work... i have tried everything. i try to uninstall it from my programs and i get a package error 2738. i try to download acad 2013 and even tried 2012 and still error 2738.. if theres a major issue with the service package.. why in the world is it still there. i needs to be fixed and i really need this program for my computer because im taking class and we are using it. i have tried to do everything possible. revo cleaner, i still get the error.

Message 16 of 20

The point is that i fixed it very stupidally before. But i don't remember what i've done and i don't have the program anymore. it doesn't seem to be a problem with the program. I remember now! If you're on windows you have to configure something like full admin rights or. Or something like, it's a windows configure, anyhow. You have to allow some special install or special full admin feature for install (control panel). And that's it. I cannot help you more because since i've changed OS for Ubuntu. I had enough of all the Microsoft Crap. Sorry for that but, it's the ****ing right answer. Best regards-
Message 17 of 20
rgctobin
in reply to: Osi_turk

Thanks for your help Osman! The reg delete functions for HKCU did not apply in my case, these could not be found, but the McAfee uninstall seems to have done the trick.

Message 18 of 20
galen43
in reply to: emily.xu

I did try to log in as administrator, used the instructions found in autodesk without success.

I have been working to resolve this issue for 7 days.

Is there a method to resolve this problem that can be understood by a lay person?

Message 19 of 20
alison.gangler
in reply to: galen43

Hi,

Microsoft published a FixIt solution for this error which can be found at:

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9804433

The post on the Install and Licensing blog has additional information on this fix:

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2012/10?/error-2738-could-not-access-vbscript-run-time-fo...?...

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Alison

Alison Gangler
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 20 of 20
sarvajit

it get stuck on startup saying checking license

Tags (2)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report