Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -104 Borrowing when MAX_BORROW_HOURS extends beyond license expiration

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
TravisNave
1858 Views, 3 Replies

Error -104 Borrowing when MAX_BORROW_HOURS extends beyond license expiration

PROBLEM:  Recently, a customer had an issue where they limited borrowing to 60 days in AutoCAD using an adsfklex.opt options file.  When a user tried to borrow for longer than 3 weeks, an error occurred and the debug log file showed Error -104. 

REASON:  It was discovered that the customer's AutoCAD license was a 13-month extended license set to expire in 3 weeks.  Although the options file allowed for a 60-day borrow, the Autodesk Network License Manager would not allow for a license to be borrowed beyond its own expiration date.  Thus, the client received an error. 

EXAMPLES:  Included below are examples from the adskflex.opt options file, the AutoCAD license .lic file, and the debug.log file from the license manager:

adskflex.opt Options file:

# Set maximum borrow to 60 days
MAX_BORROW_HOURS 54600ACD_2008_0F 1440

The syntax was correct in setting AutoCAD's maximum borrow to 60 days, or 1440 hours.

Debug.log file:

13:30:00 (adskflex) Using options file: "C:\Program Files\Autodesk Network License Manager\adskflex.opt"
13:30:00 (adskflex) Max borrow interval for feature, 54600ACD_2008_0F, set to 1440 hours
13:31:30 (adskflex) Borrow error: requested borrow interval extends beyond license expiration date.
13:31:30 (adskflex) DENIED: "54600ACD_2008_0F" user@host  (Cannot borrow that long. (-104,40013))

The log file shows that the license manager is reading in the options file and setting the maximum borrow for AutoCAD to 1440 hours.  However, when a user tries to borrow for an extended time, they are denied with a -104 error. 

AutoCAD.lic file:

INCREMENT 54600ACD_2008_0F adskflex 1.000 01-oct-2013 25 \
	VENDOR_STRING=commercial:extendable SUPERSEDE DUP_GROUP=UH \

The reason for the error is that the license is not permanent, but an extended license with an expiration date set to expire before the time alloted in the max_borrow_hours option.  Since the license expires in three weeks (at the time of this post) then the max_borrow_hours cannot exceed expiration.  Thus, any request past expiration is correctly denied.  This is by design.

CONCLUSION:  As expected, there is not a problem with the license manager or the Autodesk product.  You cannot borrow a license beyond the expiration of your license, regardless of the option set in the adskflex.opt options file.   

This situation generally occurs when you have requested a previous-use license file under Subscription.  Autodesk may provide you with a license file for an older release that expires approximately 13 months after being generated.  This issue may also occur on 3-year Subscription license files.  If your license file has an expiration date, rather than permanent type, then you may experience this issue.

For more information on how to request previous versions of software under Subscription, please see this link:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17292981&linkID=16831209

Good Luck!

Credit:  David Benning

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
TravisNave
in reply to: TravisNave

For eveything you could possibly want to know about the adskflex.opt Options file for FlexLM, please see my KB article here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Managing-the-adskflex-opt-Options-File/td-p/307...

For a Quick-Start Guide on configuring the Autodesk License Manager, please see my post for further information:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Quick-Start-Guide-for-Configuring-LMTOOLS/m-p/3...

If you are experiencing license manager issues, please create a new post in the Installation & Licensing forum.  And please remember to give kudos when appropriate.

Thanks!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 4
DarrenP
in reply to: TravisNave

nice!

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 4
TravisNave
in reply to: DarrenP

@DarrenP wrote:

nice!

Yeah, after dealing with that one this morning, I thought... this needs to be documented!  Doing a search on this yielded nothing.  Now at least there is a reference for it. 

I think I might start doing this more often.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report