Installation & Licensing

glisik
Message 1 of 4 (169 Views)
Accepted Solution

Distributed and redundant license combination

169 Views, 3 Replies
07-19-2013 09:42 AM

Hi

I have 3 sites with a license server each. The license servers are flexnet running on Windows 2008R2. Here is my problem: we have 2 products running: Autodesk Education Master Suite (EMS) and Autodesk Education Creation Suite (ECS) The Education Master suite has a dsitributed license where 300 seats is split among the 3 locations. We run Education Suite at one site only (20 seats) I wanted to have the Education Suite license be redundant in case the license server at that site goes dowm. However it seems like combining a distributed license file for EMS with a redundant one for ECS gives the error "Invalid license key (inconsistent authentication code)" if I combine the distributed license and single server license for Creation suite at that one site only, it works fine. Anybody else run through this?

Thanks

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 2 of 4 (158 Views)

Re: Distributed and redundant license combination

07-19-2013 11:41 AM in reply to: glisik

Welcome to the community!

What you describe is to be expected.  A distributed server is just a bunch of single license servers.  A redundant server, (trying not to get on my soap box about this bad idea) requires 3 servers to run together.  You cannot combine these licenses because its behavior is different. 

You do not have to worry about redundancy because you can get a new license file created and up and running within a few minutes.  If you did run it in redundancy and had a failure, you'd still have to take down all 3 servers and replace the licensing before you could bring them all back up in working order.  So, in all reality, the redundant server only provides you with redundant work and not license protection. 

If you are concerned about redundacy for failure, you might actually instead consider a virtual machine.  That way you can easily move your virtualized server if you had to without worry of invalidating your licensing.  But that's just my opinion. 

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
glisik
Message 3 of 4 (154 Views)

07-19-2013 12:12 PM in reply to: TravisNave

Hi Travis

Thanks for the reply. I guess I was overly concerned about the redundancy. Those license servers are Windows machines running on top of VMware ESX, so I got that part covered already :smileyhappy:

BTW just wanted to say that I used your tutorials to get the Flexnet/Flexera running in our network. Thanks again.

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 4 of 4 (148 Views)

07-19-2013 12:25 PM in reply to: glisik
Excellent. You're in good shape then.

Hardcode those vm MAC addresses and you should be set.
Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Up & Ready Blog

Boldly Install, Configure and Deploy Autodesk Software.

AutodeskHelp Blog

Your one-stop shop for the latest solutions, breaking news, and behind the scenes access to the world of Autodesk support.

Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube