Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differences in the Student Version Licenses?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jeffrey.t.werner
23179 Views, 4 Replies

Differences in the Student Version Licenses?

Hi, I am a college professor teaching 3D modeling and animation. We use Maya in class and one of my students was wondering if he could do freelance. I know that the Educational version and the free student version that they can download are for personal use only, but what about the student version they pay for? I know companies like Adobe and Pixologic let you use their paid for student licenses for commercial use as long as you are an individual and not a corporation (so things like freelance).

From my research I can’t find a difference in the licensing between the free download version and the paid for student version of Maya. So if I still can’t use it for freelance and it has all the same restrictions as the downloaded one, then why would anyone pay for the student version when they could just register and download it instead?

So I guess my main question here is what is the difference between the download version and the paid for version, and can I use the paid for student version for freelance purposes? Or would I have to buy a full professional license to do freelance? Any and all information would be helpful and greatly appreciated. Thank you.

--Jeff

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Yeah, the student version is like $400 and you can only buy it if you can prove you are a student, but if you are a student then you can just register with Autodesk and download it off the website for free. So if the licensing is the same then why do they offer to buy a student version?

It just doesn’t make any sense to me. Besides I don’t see how anyone trying to do freelance could afford the $4,000 price tag of a commercial version without first getting some work.

So is there really no way except dropping $4,000?

Message 3 of 5
philip.s
in reply to: jeffrey.t.werner

Hi Jeffrey,

There are actually a few differences between the purchased educational suites and the free student downloads (available from the Education Community). Most noticeably, the suites are perpetual licenses (as apposed to the termed student licenses) and do not include a watermark. For a complete comparison matrix, please check out the following Education Offering FAQ.

Per the same FAQ (section 6.2), there is a discounted upgrade path to a commercial license for students or graduates whom have previously owned an eeducational suite license.

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for but I hope it helps clarify.

Message 4 of 5
jeffrey.t.werner
in reply to: philip.s

Thank you for the info, it definitely helps. Now I can’t seem to get the PDF to open so maybe you can help clarify one more thing.

Sense the purchased student suite does not have a watermark could one make some assets in it and as long as they upgrade to a commercial license before the game is released, still comply with the license agreement?

I know you can’t do this with the watermarked student version but could you do it with the paid one sense it does not have a watermark?

--Jeff

Message 5 of 5
philip.s
in reply to: jeffrey.t.werner

You're welcome Jeff and good question.

The terms and conditions associated with the license type used with the student suite pretty much mirror that of the watermarked version, prohibiting any commercial use of the software. Therefore anything made within that version would been held to the same guidelines, even if the license was upgraded to a commercial version at a latter date.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report