Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Suites borrowing

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
tracydavis
296 Views, 3 Replies

Design Suites borrowing

I work for an Autodesk reseller and had to get some of our laptops configured with Facotry Design Suite Ultimate for an event and noticed something rather interesting when borrowing a license.

Because of how cascading works, one machine will end up taking 3 different seats, see below:

Users of 85946BDSPRM_2013_0F:  (Total of 50 licenses issued;  Total of 16 licenses in use)

"85946BDSPRM_2013_0F" v1.000, vendor: adskflex

student ML-865 ML-865 (v1.0) (server/27000 409), start Thu 10/4 12:39 (linger: 2373960)

Users of 85997PDSADV_2013_0F:  (Total of 50 licenses issued;  Total of 14 licenses in use)

"85997PDSADV_2013_0F" v1.000, vendor: adskflex
  floating license

student ML-865 ML-865 (v1.0) (server/27000 602), start Thu 10/4 12:49 (linger: 2373360)

Users of 85963PDSU_2013_0F:  (Total of 50 licenses issued;  Total of 16 licenses in use)

"85963PDSU_2013_0F" v1.000, vendor: adskflex
  floating license
student ML-865 ML-865 (v1.0) (server/27000 502), start Thu 10/4 12:45 (linger: 2373600)

I know this is working as "intended" due to cascading, and typically an office would not encounter this, but there is a possibility that if an office has individual licenses along with design suite licenses, they could run into this similar scenerio, when in fact they think they are just borrowing for the entire suite.

It would be nice if the design suites had a way to borrow a design suite license.

Thanks,

Tracy Davis

Applied Software

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
TravisNave
in reply to: tracydavis

I agree.  This is not an issue with stand-alone licensing.  It's something that needs to be addressed in upcoming releases. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 4
JTBWorld
in reply to: tracydavis

Thanks for sharing. Yes the suites can complicate and even mess things up when it comes to licensing. For example you cannot tell only from looking at the license manager status what actual product is being used.

Jimmy Bergmark
JTB World - Software development and consulting for CAD and license usage reports
https://jtbworld.com

Message 4 of 4
tracydavis
in reply to: JTBWorld

You are very correct about that.  Very annoying. 

Because of not being able to borrow a design suite specific license, and the way Inventor will promote itself to a different license depending on the feature you chose INSIDE of the program, the incorrect license was borrowed and it screwed up our presentation for the machines I got ready.

Always seems like you have to live and learn the hard way with Autodesk network licensing.

My advice to anyone who has to borrow a license with any design suite, have the end user do a complete test first after you borrow the license to make sure you don't get any gotchas.

Tracy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report