Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deployment package not creating .msi file

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
MSDLTTechnology
2943 Views, 9 Replies

Deployment package not creating .msi file

I am trying to install ADA 2012 titles on multple computers.  I have created 64 bit install packages for all to install via GPO (group policy object).  All of them created and are working just fine except for the one for Inventor 2012.  I have recreated it mulitple times with multiple installation DVDs, but I get the same results every time.

When I create the deployment package for Inventor, it does create it without any errors.  Upon trying to create the GPO, however, I noticed it did not create the correct .msi file.  There is only an Inventor.msi file in the package.  When looking at \\servername\package\AdminImage\x64\Inventor, there is only an Inventor.msi file.  I do NOT see the acad-Inventor for GPO.msi file.  All of the other packages I created (Civil 3D, Architectural Desktop, Revit, etc.) all have the correct GPO.  The Language Pack for Inventor also does not have the correct .msi file.  It only has InventorLP.msi.

Has anybody else ran across this?  I am creating 64 bit deployment packages to install the programs on multiple Windows XP x64 bit edition PCs.  Inventor is the only one I seem to be having problems with.  I cannot create a GPO to install this program if the deployment package creation tool that comes with the software does not create the .msi files I need.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

I assume you are referring to the GPO installation document for Inventor (which is actually referring to autocad as generic document)

If you use inventor.msi along with gpo.mst and deploymentname*.mst, GPO installation should work fine. You dont need the *-for-gpo.msi for Inventor, unless you have merged service packs.

Also the Langauge pack with the same transforms as above should give you a complete install.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!
For more tips & tricks: http://upandready.typepad.com

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 10

I tried to setup the GPO with the Inventor.msi file that the package created.  It would not work.  It told me to check the package and would never add the file to the GPO I have created.  The exact error is "Add operation failed.  Unable to extract deployment information from the package.  Run validation on the package to ensure that the package is correct."  Once I click on OK on the error, it just goes back to the blank GPO.  I am using the Inventor.msi file located at \\servername\packagename\AdminImage\x64\Inventor.  I get the same error when I try to use the InventorLP.msi file located at \\servername\packagename\AdminImage\x64\en-us\Inventor

Message 4 of 10

are u adding the relevant modifications (.mst files) as mentioned in my previous post ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution, so that others can find answers quickly!

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 10

I can't even get to add the .mst file.  The first thing you do when creating a gpo is to add the .msi file.  It bombs out when adding the .msi file, so I can't even go to the advanced features to add any .mst files.  I have created a deployment package 3 times using 2 different install DVDs.  I also tried the 32 bit install DVD just to make sure it wasn't an issue with the 64 bit version.  I get the same results every time.

Message 6 of 10

Please specify the details about AD. I will test internally

OS version, domain type, any other GPO blocking software installation (if you have confidential information, please mail me)

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 10

Client OS is Windows XP x64 fully patched as of today's date.  AD is 2003.  We just recently went full blown 2003 from 2000/2003 mixed mode.  This is a full Microsoft Windows environment.  We are not running any Autodesk programs on Macs.  There is not software blocking any GPOs.

Message 8 of 10

I have done some testing, I could re-produce the issue with Windows 2003 server. I will report this internally.

So please install Active directory admin tools in Windows XP/Windows 7/windows 2008 computer and try to edit the GPO. You should be able to add the inventor.msi to the GPO.

Please let us know if this resolves the issue for you

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 10

were you able to create the gpo package for inventor using an alternate client ?

Hashim Mundol
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 10

I ran the tool from a Windows 7 machine and it allowed me to add the Inventor.msi file to the GPO without any problems.  I always use the same Windows 2003 server for setting up GPOs.  All the other Autodesk programs allowed me to create the GPOs fine on this 2k3 server.  Just an issue with this version of Inventor I guess.  I can create it using a Windows 7 machine, so everything is fine now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report