Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom installation path does not seem to work for Design Suite Premium

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
mikeb
333 Views, 2 Replies

Custom installation path does not seem to work for Design Suite Premium

want to install all of my Design Suite Premium on my D Drive instead of my C Drive. My C drive is a relatively small solid state drive reserved for Windows. I browse to the d:\Program Files\Autodesk file for teh install but when I click the Install button I get a dialog box telling me that I dont have enought space on C. Install is 9.11gb and my d Drive has 545gB available. Is there some way to force the installer to install all the various application files to D:\Program Files\Autodesk?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Tony_Michniewicz
in reply to: mikeb

When you selected an installation path on a separate drive, there are a large number of files that will be installed on your C: drive.  These include most of the pre-requisite installs, such as Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables, files installed to the user's folder, C:\Users, Autodesk Shared files that are installed to C:\Program Files\Common Files and C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files, as well as content that is installed to C:\ProgramData.  Additionally, the install has to extract a large amount of data to the Windows temp folder, which by default is on your C: drive.  Even though this data is removed once the installation is finished, it is required during the installation and therefore requires additional space on the C: drive.

Once all of these factors are taken into account, it is possible that you do not have enough space on our C: drive to accommodate all of these files.  You can modify Windows so that the Windows temp folder and user's folder reside on a separate drive.  Additionally, you can modify the installation settings for some Autodesk programs so that the content is installed on a drive other than C:.  As example would be Revit content, which is installed to C:\ProgramData by default but it can be redirected to another drive to save space.

I hope this information helps to clarify why hard drive space is still required on the C: drive even when you've changed the installation path to another drive.

Tony Michniewicz

Autodesk Revit QA

Tony Michniewicz
Revit Software QA Analyst
Message 3 of 3
TravisNave
in reply to: mikeb

Please understand that some parts of the installation files are necessary to be installed on the root system drive. Shortcuts, registry settings, and profile customizations are all examples of this. However, you may be able to make some system changes that will allow you to install your Autodesk product and avoid this error. Please review my KB article for more information:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Out-of-disk-space-during-installation-to-anothe...

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report