Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Deployment FAILS

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
jrubincmc
2590 Views, 10 Replies

Create Deployment FAILS

I am trying to create a Deployment and it continues to fail on me. I'm installing directly from the DVD for Autocad 2011 on Windows Server 2003 to a shared location on the server with anti-virus software disabled just in case.

I am getting Error 1304.Error writing to file

"\\servername\folderlocation\AdminImage\support\ADSKMaterials\CM\Common\Autodesk_Shared\Materials201... - Windows.Metal Doors - Frames.Aluminum Frame.Anodized.Dark Bronze.Satin.jpg. Verify that you have access to that directory".

I click retry and then get this error:

Error 2350.FDI server error, Abort, Retry, Ignore.

Obviously I have write permissions to this location, I am a domain administrator with local administrator permissions on this server and I have share permissions to this folder and full control security permissions to this folder. I get this when I try to install through Remote Desktop as well as when I try to install directly on the server.

I have attached both error message screenshots.

Any ideas???

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
jrubincmc
in reply to: jrubincmc

Guess I sorta solved my own problem...AGAIN no thanks to Autodesk's website.

I was installing the support materials to the Program Files location instead of to the users' profile in the Create Deployment settings. I changed it back to the Users' profile and it seems to be working. Why? Not sure. I will chalk this up to a bug in Autodesk software and not a user error because....well just because who else would I blame for it? Not me.

-Jro

Message 3 of 11
bender4tw

Hello,

i ran in the exact same error! First i thought something is wrong with my fileserver - we are running our FileServices on Novell Open Enterprise Server - but the fileserver seems to be working.
I opened an extra Service Request for this Issue at Novell.

And after a huge Troubleshooting prozedere,
it looks like that the Problem is the deployment wizzard from autodesk itself!!

When you create a deployment you have to specify a seperate deployment directory where all the files are copied including the special deployment files (INIs, etc).

Especially the ADSK Materials Folder will be handled different. If you compare your default ADSK Materials Directory with the newly created deployment ADSK Materials Folder, you can see some interessting differences between this folders:

Original DVD/Extracted Directory:
for instance:

D:\AutoCAD_Architecture_2011_German_Win_32bit\support\ADSKMaterials\CM\Materi~1.cab
D:\AutoCAD_Architecture_2011_German_Win_32bit\support\ADSKMaterials\CM\Protei~1.cab
D:\AutoCAD_Architecture_2011_German_Win_32bit\support\ADSKMaterials\CM\ProteinMaterials.msi

New generated Deployment Directory:

For instance some of the folders now look like this:

D:\AutoCAD_Architecture_2011_German_Win_32bit\AdminImage\support\ADSKMaterials\CM\Common\Autodesk Shared\Materials2011\assetlibrary_base.fbm\1\

and there also exists some wonderfull long filenames!
for instance:

Doors - Windows.Glazed Curtain Walls.Stainless Steel Curtain Wall.jpg

And this will trigger in some network environments the folder-depth-limitation (~256 characters) and some file/folder-name-limitations, which are also limited by the Operating System itself!

My Workaround:

i deleted the whole ADSKMaterials Folder and replaced them with the ADSKMAterials Folder from the Original DVD/Extracted Directory!
I also attached some screenshots, where you can see what i did!

The Unattended Setup now triggers the msi files in the ADSKMaterials Folder and the msi files recognize the associated cab files! The Setup will now finish succesfully!
So i think AutoDesk has to check his Deployment Wizzard and fix this Problem.

Hopefully i could help someone!

Best regards,
Martin

Message 4 of 11
Stephen.Blair
in reply to: bender4tw

Typically those errors indicate that the target path name is too long.

// Steve Blair

// Team Lead, Softimage Support

// Stephen Blair
// Arnold Renderer Support
Message 5 of 11
Katzuki

Thank you very much bender4tw That worked very well, i'm happy that i can now finaly install autocad architecture 2011, but you wouldn't happen to also have a salution for the inventor as well?

Autocad's silent install is pretty nice and all, but when you are forced by your silent install program to the a pretty deep path combinded with autocad's insane deep paths then it all just goes to hell.

Message 6 of 11
gwsautodesk
in reply to: Stephen.Blair

I just want second this comment.  In my experience you have to use a "share" with a short path.  I think the limit is like 80 char.?

Message 7 of 11
bender4tw

@ Katzuki:

sry for my late reply but we dont use Inventor in our company! sry

Katzuki wrote:
Autocad's silent install is pretty nice and all, but when you are forced by your silent install program to the a pretty deep path combinded with autocad's insane deep paths then it all just goes to hell.

Agree, and hell is putting it mildly!

@blithelydoubting & Stephen.Blair:

thanks for your comments, but we already know that.

In my case/company its not so easy to just enable/create a new networkshare and i would not make a new share, if the autocad installer would not create so long path and file names! e.g Msi Installer ftw 😉

Yours,

Martin

Message 8 of 11
gwsautodesk

I feel your pain, but you have to work within the limitations that you are given.  It's like having AutoCAD installed and being dissatisfied that it doesn't take thought commands. 

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 9 of 11
bender4tw

Thank you for editing the post above!

Quote blithelydoubting:
It's like having AutoCAD installed and being dissatisfied that it doesn't take thought commands.  

Sorry, but you really didn't get it! No one spoke about the program AutoCAD 2011 itself, we discussed and searched for solutions to make the AutoCAD 2011 Installation from a network share possible, which is/was in many cases a mess.

And finally i wanted to help improve the next autocad installer and thats the reason why i pointed to this error/problem.
Although i know everything about filepath limitation in network shares or operating systems.

And with such nice replies probably my last post / thread in these discussion groups / forums.

Best regards,
Martin

Message 10 of 11
gwsautodesk

I was joking, but i sincerely apologize for any offence.  My point was: as users, we are stuck with what they give us.  To your point, an official Autodesk suggestions list would be nice.  I know AUGI has one, but not everybody knows about it.

Message 11 of 11

Just ran into the same problem while creating a deployment for Product Design Suite Premium 2012.

It makes me so happy to get this error message after 3 hours...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report