Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3d 2010 Home License Use Activation Issue - Trouble Activating

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
bryancollins3174
5207 Views, 14 Replies

Civil 3d 2010 Home License Use Activation Issue - Trouble Activating

I have installed Civil 3d 2010 using the Home Use License CDs provided to me from our IT guys who got them through Autodesk.  At the time I wasn't provided the code, just the serial number but I needed to use the software immediately so I used the Trial version 000-000000 or whatever that trial code.  The trial has run out.  So now when I want to 'Activate' the software and I click on the 'Activate' button a registration window pops up, but there is only notepad-like gibberish text.

I repaired the install and still the gibberish text when trying to activate.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

I thought about uninstalling and re-installing the software, but I read on the Installation Guide.pdf that when you uninstall the software the license information is left on the computer to eliminate having to reactivate so wouldn't I potentially be in the same boat again.

Hopefully someone can help me with this major problem.  I really need to get this software working so I can start my personal certification training at home.

Thanks for your time and effort.

Bryan Collins

CADD Technician

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Windows 7 Prof w/ SP1, 64bit, Xeon 3Ghz, 16GB
Civil 3D 2013
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

I recommend upgrading your Internet Explorer to IE8 and making sure it is your default browser.  Your file associations for .CHM, .HTM, and .HTML need to be set to open for Internet Explorer.  You may also find some useful information on this link:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=10244471&linkID=9240817

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 15

After getting your reply I went home last night with some hope that I might be able to solve my problem.  That wasn't the case though.

Downloaded and Installed all Windows 7 64 bit updates

Downloaded latest Java Runtime Environment (java.com)

Turned off Anti-virus and Malware Softwares

Turned off Firewall

Already had IE 8 as my default browser, but went ahead and set the Securities to 'Default'

Emptied History, Cookies, ect.

Emptied Temp folder under User Account

Emptied Temp folder under Windows

Unregistered jscript.dll and vbscript.dll

Re-registered jscript.dll and vbscript.dll

Rebooted system in Diagnostic Mode with only FlexLicense service turned on

Still the program gives me gibberish text when I try and Activate the software.  I've attached an image of what the page looks like when I click the 'Activate' button.  The .js errors...well have to cancel/esc about 15 or so times to get rid of the various .js script messages.

Also like to mention on the re-install I got the following error message when Service Pack 2 was trying to load.

'1328 error applying patch to file c:\config.msi\ptab44.tmp. it has probably been updated by other means and can no longer be modified by this patch. for more information contact your patch vendor.'  Guess Autodesk don't know how to code their uninstaller so that I uninstalls or deletes everything it adds to a system...including registry entries and file folders/sub-folders as well.

Please let me know where I go from here.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 4 of 15

Your picture kind of looks like to me that there is a file association problem with web documents not loading with Internet Explorer.  You might check your .js file extensions and see what they are associated with. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 15

Being very, very new to the Win7 OS how exactly or where do I go to check those file associations?  And when I get there should they all be targeting IE 8?

I really appreciate your help in this matter.  I think hair is turning grey faster dealing with all this stress.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 6 of 15

Go to the Control Panel, then click Programs > Default Programs and then choose the option to associate files with a program.  Check the associations for all web-based files like .chm, .htm, .html, and especially .js.  The .js should be opening with the Windows based script host.  The htm[l] files should be opening with IE8.  The .chm should be with the Windows help system.  You might just comb thru that and make sure everything is set properly. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 7 of 15

Tried all that, including the file association but still can't register because of the gibberish text. I found the Uninstall procedure and followed it to the 'T' and then reinstall yet again, but when I go to Activate it just gives me text gibberish and script errors galore like it is having a problem loading a web page or something. Any other solutions? Where do I go from here? Where do I go to get Autodesk's direct help with this matter? Also during the reinstall I got the Error 1328 again as well, something about can't patch C:\Config.Msi\PT14.tmp (think that file name might change though not sure) because it has already been patched. That file didn't exist before Autodesk installation and guess what...doesn't exist on the system after installation either. Is it a ghost a file or something. I'm wondering if I should just get another set of installation discs or something. Thanks for your help. Bryan Collins
Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 8 of 15

I doubt the discs will help.  The issue is that your activation page isn't launching because of a script issue in the browser on your computer.  Until that gets resolved, you'll continue to experience the same issue. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 15

Well I don't know what else to try.  I've done everything mentioned to do with IE 8.  Fully updated, no pop-up blocker, no add-ons, file associates are correct, IE 8 is my default browser, windows firewall off, antivirus off, temp directories clean. All IE 8 setting have been defaulted.

I don't get this.  I haven't had any problems with anything on this Windows 7 Pro 64bit system until this issue.

Anymore suggestions.

Bryan Collins

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 10 of 15

Are you sure you don't have any issues with spyware infection, virus, BHO, ActiveX, or other malware issues attached to your browser? 

Do you get the same error logged in as a different user?

Autodesk Forums:
Message 11 of 15

Quite sure.  This is a new computer bought back in September 2009 and was never used.  I upgraded it to Win7 64 Pro just over a month ago and did all the updates.  Used the trial 30 days with Civil 3D 2010 with no problems.  Only went online with Firefox browser...can't stand IE.  System is 100% clean as I should know since I work on systems on the side.

Keep 'em coming please.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 12 of 15

Right-click Civil and run as Administrator.  See if you get the same result. 

IE7+ is a minimum requirement for Autodesk products.  😉

Autodesk Forums:
Message 13 of 15

My issue in the end had to be something with Windows 7 (64bit).  I ended up formatting hdd and re-installing Windows 7 Professional (64bit) and decided to install Civil 3D 2010 before any Windows updates.  Loaded flash player so I could access the files from Autodesk's website, dled the files, and installed.  The product registered successfully on the first attempt...no errors or issues...so far.  Tonight I'm going to dl the program's updates/service packs and hopefully I won't have any issues with the additional installs.

I still would love to know what was causing my problem in case I run into the issue again some time down the road.  My best guess is that maybe one of the Windows Updates messed with something in the OS setup.  Hopefully after the updates are again installed I won't run into any troubles.

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions and time.

Bryan Collins

Cadd Technician

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Civil 3D 2013
Message 14 of 15

Well, you're not the only one who has experienced this issue, so it would be interesting to learn the cause of it at some point.  In any case, I am glad you are up and running. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 15 of 15
kradams
in reply to: bryancollins3174

I had a similiar issue where the home use license for Civil 3D 2010 has expired.  I extended the 2010 license through Autodesk and recieved a new home use serial number.  I had re-installed the software thinking I could then put in the new SN.  When I tried to open the program a window appeared that said "The License can not be exteded".  I got these instuctions from Autodesk to extend the home use companion SN.  The name of the file that needed to be deleted was "adskflex_00691b00_tsf.data".  I have a 64 bit Vista machine and once I deleted the file it worked fine.  For what it's worth.  Good luck.

Extending Home Use Companion SN

We have extended your home use license so that it expires on 8/19/2011.  To reset the expiration date and reactivate your software, please follow the following steps:

Browse to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\ApplicationData\Autodesk\Software Licenses - and delete the .dat file that is located there. 

For Vista and Windows 7 the location of the .dat file is  C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Software Licenses. (for products up to 2009 versions)

For Products 2010 and after, the .dat file has been replaced with a _tsf  file 

Vista/Windows 7 OS - C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\AdLM - Which means you will need to delete "ProductInformation.pit file

For the XP 32 & 64 Bit operating systems, the files will be in the same location, however with the 2010 products or newer,

To remove activation for 2010 products there is no typical dat file like previous versions. The trusted storage file needs to be deleted and then a reactivation can take place.

Here is how to delete the trusted storage file:

A name similar to this: adskflex_00691b00_tsf the important thing is that it begins with the adskflex. Please note once you do this all 2010 Autodesk standalone licenses will need to be reactivated. Here is the location.

XP:  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet

Vista/Win 7: C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet

Once the .Dat file or _tsf  file is removed, the program will open and will refresh itself with the updated license, and the software is back up and running.  This procedure does not require a reinstallation but will need a new activation.  Should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report