Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D install on Citrix

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
793 Views, 14 Replies

Civil 3D install on Citrix

Has anyone installed Civil 3D 2011/12 on a Citrix server.

I know it is not supported yet, but wanted to know tips to getting it to work correctly. Any tips or settings that made it work for you.

Thanks,

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
StephanVilleneuve
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

I don't have answer for you but I am in process to test Revit Structure 2012 with a Citrix server. In fact, I am waiting information to Autodesk about temporary license to use for my tests.

If Revit could works fine with Citrix environment, I have also a demand to test with Civil 3D 2012 and other products.

To follow.

Message 3 of 15
TravisNave

It's more than just "not supported" at this point.  It violates your license agreement if you are using it in production environments beyond just testing. 

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=13959101

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 15
Damin69

How does it Violate Licensing agreement? If we have say 8 network licenses we can have 8 users at one time using a license. Why should it mater whether it is 8 different machines or one machine with 8 users checking out a license?

Message 5 of 15
TravisNave
in reply to: Damin69

I'm just reiterating the license agreement as dictated by Autodesk.  Only the Citrix environment as expressed by the link above is officially supported for license compliance.  Don't shoot the messenger.  I'm just making sure that you are aware of EULA, that's all. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 15
Damin69
in reply to: TravisNave

Where is this written at is what I am asking? How is it in violation? Per our Network license agreement we can have C3D installed on as many computers as we like but only 8 users can check out license at one time. So I am confused to what you are refereeing to in the EULA.  I realize that the EULA is completely different for SINGLE USER SEAT license. I would just like to know How it would be a Violation on a network EULA setup. I am not trying to kill the messenger I am just trying to be completely informed before we go further with testing.

Message 7 of 15
Damin69

In our case with the Network License server. Looking at the FAQs that you supplied in the Citrix ready link. It just states that you can not Run a XenApp server on the same Server as the License server as it could resulting in a different license return. Our License server is separate from the server we are testing on. I realize that C3D is not on the list of Citrix Ready but I still am not seeing any Violation of the EULA that we might be in. Per Section 3 of the FAQ for Licensing. I do see what you I believe are refereing to in section 3.2. So I think I see where you are going with this.

Thanks

Message 8 of 15
dgorsman

TravisNave can generally be taken at his word with these things, more so than many others.  But check with AutoDesk to be certain.  "... but I heard otherwise on the Internet!" doesn't hold up well in case it devolves into legal disucssions later on.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 9 of 15
TravisNave

Because you cannot install the Autodesk software on a network server for the purposes of distributino and usage over the network either in a terminal service or similar function.  Only the approved products on that list are licensed for use on a Citrix environment to perform the duties that you are requesting.  That's Autodesk's licensing restrictions.  It is what it is.  You can still install them on individual computers and license via the NLM, but you cannot install this particular product (yet) on as network server and access them remotely.  That's just the way that it is.  Sorry.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 10 of 15
TravisNave

Autodesk has weighed in on this at the following link:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/CAD-Managers/AutoCAD-and-Citrix-FYI/m-p/3071936#M84597

Autodesk Forums:
Message 11 of 15
Damin69

Thanks Travis. That does clear up some confusion.

Message 12 of 15
TravisNave

No problem.  I just wanted to make sure that everyone was aware that this process isn't as cut and dry as most other issues yet.  It's still in its infancy.  Autodesk performs license audits all the time.  The last thing I want is to see somebody out of compliance.  Smiley Wink

Autodesk Forums:
Message 13 of 15
ChipHankley

Geez... that stinks.

So, is there any "official" word from Autodesk when C3D will be "Citrix approved"? From this list (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=13959101) it looks like most of the other main stream Autodesk products are supported at 2012. C3D is conspicously absent....

Message 14 of 15
TravisNave
in reply to: ChipHankley

Just as AutoCAD Electrical is suspiciously absent from all the Product Suites?  Yeah, hard telling.  I would expect that this platform will have larger support in the next releases.  Like usual, it'll just be a waiting game.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 15 of 15
DarrenP

only autodesk can say what will be supported on citrix in the future

they don't talk about the future of their products publicly

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report