Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot install 2014 AutoCAD on Windows 8 64bit

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
mwhitsel15
10624 Views, 8 Replies

Cannot install 2014 AutoCAD on Windows 8 64bit

I have tried every installation method available and have come across the same problem each time. This includes install now, download now, and browser download. Each time during the instillation process I receive an error saying "Error 1317. An error occured while attempting to create the directory C:/Program Data/Windows/Start Menu". I have looked into that error code and not found a solution as of yet. I did create that directory manually and then attempted to install again and was still met with the same difficulties. I am currently logged into the administrator account while attempting this install (my first attempt to fix the issue) but this has clearly not alleviated the issue. Does anybody know of a fix for this? I suspect it is an issue with windows 8 security crap as other such issues have been encountered while trying to do other things and not a problem with AutoCAD f course. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S.. I am using the free software download section available to students to download Autodesk AutoCAD Mechanical 2014 (English) 64-Bit

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rkmcswain
in reply to: mwhitsel15

You might also try posting this in the Installation and Licensing forum.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 9
27thofnever

Have you tried turning your virus protection off when installing?

Message 4 of 9
entropist

This sounds like a UAC issue; windows 8 has this horrible new User Access Control that prevents installation of all sorts of useful stuff.

Have you tried disabling UAC before running the installation?

I recall finding a way to turn it off temporarily through some special reboot procedure, but I've forgotten the steps. (Win 8 was such a nightmare I went back to 7.) I'm sure there are plenty of examples out there...

Message 5 of 9
asburyj

Hi mwhitsel15,

This Sounds like it may be a permissions issue related to that folder (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu). I found a solution posted on the microsoft forum. The product being installed is different but the error is the same  so you might want to give that a look. 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2007-office_install/error-1317setup-cannot-cr...

Jeffry Asbury
Message 6 of 9
mwhitsel15
in reply to: asburyj

I have tried to reinstall using all availbilbe methods with virus protection turned off and with the UAC control turned all the way down (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/hyperyash/archive/2012/07/18/disabling-user-account-control-in-windows-8.asp...) using all methods but still no change. I will try looking at the permissions issue when I get back to my dorm and hopefully that will work. I had assumed that having the installation program run from the adminstrator accout would not encounter such an issue, but I must have been wrong about that then.

Message 7 of 9
asburyj

Typically an administrator account should have permissions everywhere but in some cases folder permissions can get cleared out or corrupted and some manual action would need to be taken to add the default permissions back in. 

Jeffry Asbury
Message 8 of 9
mwhitsel15
in reply to: asburyj

Sorry for the late response, but non of the above solutions have yet to work. I have become quite tired of windows 8 and have decided to suck it up and purchase windows 7 so I can use my computer to its full potential again. Thank you to everybody for the help though.

Message 9 of 9
MustafaMTB

It always show .net frame runtime 3.5 error

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report