Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Consistently get BDS to see New License Server

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
petestrycharske
254 Views, 2 Replies

Cannot Consistently get BDS to see New License Server

All,

I have been working with a client and recently got the update below from them.  Not sure what would be causing the inconsistency and am waiting to hear if these issues are user dependent or not.  However, I want to know if anyone has run into such an inconsistency before and anything I can recommend to get around this.

So I have been looking at this on and off for a couple of days and here is what I have found.

1. The license server is configured correctly and working
  2. I can do a fresh install and AutoCAD will use our new server RevitLic without issue.
    1. This verifies that the server is set up correctly
    2. If we use the Environment variable ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE to point to the server it works SOMETIMES.
    3. If we change the LICPATH.LIC to point at the server it works SOMETIMES
    4. If we go into the registry and change the HKEY_USER Setting ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE in the FlexLm License Manager it will work SOMETIMES.

This has led us to believe that the order that the license file is checked for is NOT what is on the Autodesk website.  They claim that it goes Environment Variable, LICPATH.LIC, Registry.  If that was the case, whatever I have set for the Environment Variable would ALWAYS indicate what server I should be pulling from.  That is not true in our case.

The only way we can, with any certainty, point to a different license server is to delete the environmental variable, delete ALL the LICPATH.LIC files under the Autodesk folder  (we are running Building design Suite, and Product Design Suite os there are multiple LIC files) and modify the registry setting  to point the user at the one we want them to pull from.

If anyone has any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace,
Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
DarrenP
in reply to: petestrycharske

how about deleting the cascadeinfo.cas file

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13894457&linkID=9240657

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
avto
in reply to: DarrenP

Hi Pete,

I did some testing on ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE vs. LICPATH issue with ACA 2011 and BDSP 2012 a couple of years ago.  Here is the link to the post we have on our Up and Ready blog about it.

Basically each product looks for its own license first based on the license cascading sequence, TS17532548, so if LICPATH.lic point to the product specific license server (e.g. ACAD) and ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE to a suite license server (e.g. BDSU) then LICPATH.lic will supersede ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE.

Please let us know if you have further questions on this.

Regards,

Avto Chachava
Autodesk Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report