Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't install upgrades?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
AdamFarish
12450 Views, 12 Replies

Can't install upgrades?

Hello

Having trouble installing service packs and hotfixes for 3d max 2012 because some program called monitor.exe is running on my machine. Located this file back to being part of Backburner so tried to uninstall it but can't because monitor.exe is running!!!! Can somebody tell me how to solve this problem please?

Adam

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
TravisNave
in reply to: AdamFarish

Have you tried killing the monitor.exe process from Task Manager?

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 13
AdamFarish

Yes i should have said it doesn't show up on task manager as running, sorry.

Unfortunately i'm just an animator not a technical expert so i have no idea about how else to close this program down. Have also tried to select the program on the harddrive and just press the delete button, but that didn't stop it either!

Really appreciate any help so thankyou for the reply.

Adam

Message 4 of 13
TravisNave

Launch cmd prompt as administrator by right-clicking it and running as administrator.  Type taskkill /f /im monitor.exe and see if that will kill it.  Try again. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 13
AdamFarish

Ok thankyou again Mr TravisNave I've tried that and get an error message saying

ERROR:Invalid argument/option - '/f/im'

Type "TASKKILL/?" for usage

So tried spelling taskkill in capital letters to see if that would make a difference and got the same error message. Also tried to install one of the service packs after only for it to tell me that monitor.exe is still running.

Is there anything else i can do?

Adam

Message 6 of 13
AdamFarish

Ha ha please ignore that last post as i noticed that there wasn't a gap between /f and /im so tried it again and it worked this time!!!

Thankyou so much i thought as i was stuck in a catch 22 situation there, and you've helped me get out of it.

Thanks again Mr TravisNave 🙂

Adam

Message 7 of 13
TravisNave

Always glad to help.  Make sure you've marked the solution to help other members find answers when needed. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 8 of 13
gmpapich

Taskkill will not work for all. My computer could not find monitor.exe anywhere. I even manually searched known places where this file is known to hang out. It may be involved with many different apps. I did realize that I have a GForce GTX 760 graphics card and it has a monitor. No file named that thought. I turned off the graphics tweaking app and low and behold, that is all it took. 

IF YOU ARE RUNNING GRAPHICS TWEAK OR WHATEVER UTILITY YOUR CARD IS RUNNIING, TURN IT OFF.

Message 9 of 13
UnbuckledPie
in reply to: TravisNave

Thank you so much
Message 10 of 13
jcgarand89

It worked for me. Thank you so much! 

Message 11 of 13
samdennettart

Works perfectly! Even in 2017, Windows 10 64-bit.

Message 12 of 13

Efectivamente. Lo que hay que escribir es "TASKKILL/f /IM monitor.exe"

Message 13 of 13
martislester

thank you so much for the solution, I literally spent half of the day scratching my head to get rid of this monitor.exe, your advice really worked within seconds!!! Thanks a lot again!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report