Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Install on a non-bootable Hard drive

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
chris
20622 Views, 10 Replies

Can't Install on a non-bootable Hard drive

Hello,

I just recieved my copy of Revit Structure 2013. I am running a SSD with very limited space left (about 3gb). I also have another hard drive for programs. I want to install Revit 2013 onto the other Hard drive. So during install I change the "Installation Path" from C:\Programs\Autodesk (SSD) to B:\Programs\Autodesk (the other Hard drive). But even doing this it still wants to install 9.23gb on the SSD and only 873mb on the other hard drive. Whats going on here? Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
TravisNave
in reply to: chris

There are always going to be files that will need to be installed to your root.  These are files linking to your profile, system dlls, prerequisite installs, material libraries, SQL server, etc. 

You should really make sure that you always have no less than 20% free space on your C:\. Consider moving your swap file and other files to your extra drives. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 11
DannyHubbard

By default all the Templates and Libraries for Revit are still trying to install to C:\ProgramData.

On the product selection dialog of the install, just under the Revit Structure 2013 name pick the arrow to configure the install.

Scroll down to the Configurable Folders section

Change the Libraries and Templates from Default to Local

Specify a path on the B driver where you want these files and choose the Append button

When done choose the arrow again to complete the configuration

Should use much less space on the C drive now although some space will still be required.

Danny Hubbard
QA Analyst
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 11
chris
in reply to: DannyHubbard

Thanks Danny. That worked. Installed and running!

Message 5 of 11

Im have the exact same problem except with the Building design suite, however I cannot even make it to the product select screen in the installer, i'm met with this message when I go to install

The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Users\Name\AppData\Local\Temp\_AI2DD4.tmp\Content\ADSKMaterials\2013\ILM\MediumImageLibrary2013.msi

Any help would be greatly appreiciated.

Message 6 of 11

Install as another user with local admin rights, UAC turned off, and anti-virus disabled. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 7 of 11
akber.a.khan
in reply to: DannyHubbard

There is no configurable folders section if trying to use mudbox.

Message 8 of 11
schwoe

I am trying to install the 2014 release and it doesn't seem to be possible to change the installation directory of the core software to another drive than the boot drive.

Please, you can't be serious to require almost 7GB of free space on drive C. I won't be able to free up that much space. It was possible in former version to install to another drive. Why can't I do this anymore and what should I tell my students who need this software for a lab assignment?

Please fix this.

Edit: Just to describe the problem more accurately: I can change the installation path in the bottom of the installer window, but it doesn't seem to have any effect, because on the lower right it says "required space 0.98 GB" so I am assuming, that the installer tries to install the material libraries to drive 😧 and the core application to drive C:. When I hit install a window pops up telling me there is not enough space on drive C:

Message 9 of 11
TravisNave
in reply to: schwoe

Please understand that some parts of the installation files are necessary to be installed on the root system drive. Shortcuts, registry settings, and profile customizations are all examples of this. However, you may be able to make some system changes that will allow you to install your Autodesk product and avoid this error. Please review my KB article for more information:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Out-of-disk-space-during-installation-to-anothe...

Good Luck!

Autodesk Forums:
Message 10 of 11
andreswe

I know how to do if you still dont have sapce in C: and you want install in other disk:

First follow the above instructions to free disk space. (have at least 3 o 4 gb free on C:)

Then:

1) backup setup.ini

2) delete from setup.ini the lines:

DISKCOST_FUNC=BSDGetDiskCost

DISKCOST_SOURCE=Setup\AecSetup.dll 

3) modify the lines DISKCOST=3000000 or similar to DISKCOST=30

4) installa and change the install disk to d:, e or the disk that you have enought space

That worked for me

Regards

Andres

Message 11 of 11
zazooo93

you are AWESOME thanks that solved my problem!!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report