Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Install 3ds Max 2014

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
zee87
2317 Views, 7 Replies

Can't Install 3ds Max 2014

Hi, I recently updated to Windows 8.1 and now when I try to run the setup it gives me the error attached with the message. I tried deleting all the Autodesk folders that is left by the previous installation, emptied my Temp directory, pretty much everything but I'm not able to install it. Please some one help me out.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
dembkod
in reply to: zee87

zee87,

Hello. Don’t see your attachment. The issue is likely 8.1 related.

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2013/10/windows-81-support-please-upgrade-cautiously.html

Can you upload the image?

Thank you for taking part in our community!

David Dembkoski
Message 3 of 8
zee87

I think there's something wrong with the Add attachment option. It's not working for me. Anyways, here's the link to the image: http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/6065/25ek.png And, I don't know but this is the second time I'm installing this on Windows 8.1. On first installation it was giving me an error when starting so I try to re-install and now this is happening.
Message 4 of 8
zee87

Anybody?
Message 5 of 8
zee87
in reply to: dembkod

Did you get the chance to look at the error?
Message 6 of 8
dembkod

zee87 ,

Hello. That particular error usually means your are trying to install with your Antivirus turned on. Turn off yoru Antivirus completely and then try to reinstall. Sometimes you need to kill a service in the task manager to get AV to completely shut off.

Currently, you are being blocked from accessing your temp space with the installer.

You also appear to be using an E:\ drive in this process. Are your files stored on E:? I would also move them to C:\ and see if you can install from there.

Thank you for taking part in our community!

David Dembkoski
Message 7 of 8
zee87
in reply to: dembkod

I tried with disabling the AV and also after uninstalling the AV. I even tried after moving the setup files to the C:\ drive but it still throws the same error. The installer can access the temp folder because I can see the folder it creates there and some of the files that it copies to the temp directory.
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

I experienced similar problems. Recently I've moved from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 and I could not install the 3DS Max 2014. The installation would go to step "Left 8 out of 14" and then give an error. When I looked at the log, the error was a bit confusing as it could mean that one of the libraries could not be loaded or that C++ 5.0 could not be installed. I tried several possible options and looked at numerous forums. Finally I've done the following combination of actions which allowed the installation to succeed, however, I am not sure which one of them did the magic, some of my points may only be my crazy ideas but they worked. Here it goes:

1. Ensure that you have the most up to date versions of Microsoft Visual C++ Distributable for 2005, 2008, 2010 and 2010 for both 32 and 64 bit (SP1 when available). I've noticed in the logs that some parts of the installer rely on C++ 2005 and some on 2008. It is clear that x86 (32) bit libraries are used at some points even though this is the 64 bit installation. So I installed them all. I think the library used by 3DS Max installer does not work.
  2. I disabled my internet security software (Mcafee), if the software insists on coming back to life after some time, give yourself plenty of time.
  3. I downloaded a fresh installer from the Autodesk web site. Make sure that the web site and the page from which you've downloaded the installer is open and active. After a while it will go to sleep but it needs to be active as it establishes the connection for the installer. I found that after a long timr of inactivity on the download page, the installer is unable to establish the connection. If this happens refresh the download web page and download the installer again.
  4. Find the installer in your Download folder and run it as Windows 7 application. On Windows 8.1, right click the installer and use the option "Troubleshoot Compatibility". Pick the manual troubleshooting and use the option which states that the program worked in an earlier version of Windows, then select Windows 7 as your "good" system. At that point Windows 8.1 will insist that you test your option. Press the test button, it will now start the 3DS Max installer and will install your 3DS Max 2014.
  5. During the installation make sure that your PC or your web browser do not go to sleep - you'd waste the whole lot of the broadband quota - if that happens, the installr loses the connection and fails. Also make sure your virus protection program does not wake up and start protecting your PC, again I am sure it interfers with the installation. Give yourself plenty of time and be patient even if the installer slows down the downloads to below 1Mb/s, it should finish eventually.

Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report