Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a workstation serve as license server/manager?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
robert
440 Views, 3 Replies

Can a workstation serve as license server/manager?

I would like to be able to install LMTools on a workstation as well as on our network server. We already manage one set of licenses on the server, but want to create a separate license system for non-subscription seats that are still useable seats. Our seats on the server are all on subscription and we've had issues trying to increment the license files to handle this mix of currently subscribed and recently unsubscribed seats simultaneously.

Is there a way to make a workstation function as a server with just a standard Windows workstation Operating System- or is it a requirement to have an actual server based OS on that machine? I know a server provides services to client workstations and that's a huge part of what it does- is that a requirement to run Lmgrd.exe and LMtools on it?

Or is there a way to obtain a license file from Autodesk that we can use on our server that will contain our currently subscribed seats AND the "expired" valid seats that are unenrolled from subscription? When we first rolled out 2010, our vendor told us that it wasn't possible to get such a license.

Thanks. Edited by: robert@mkmassociates.com on Mar 4, 2010 8:38 AM
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
TravisNave
in reply to: robert

You can run the NLM on any compatible OS, including Windows XP Professional. The only limitation on a workstation vs. a server would be the concurrent network connection limit. Windows XP has a limitation of 10 network connections, so if you have many licenses then it may not be a good solution for you as there could be denial based on connection limitations.
As for your Subscription and non-subscription seats, you may find it difficult to acquire the non-subscription licenses if they have already been upgraded or cross-graded. However, if they are still current and valid, you should be able to get a license file for them. In the event that you generate your licenses all on the same day, the NLM will combine them properly. However, if you are not utilizing the backwards compatibility of the licenses (running 2009 licenses via your 2010 license file) then you can get a simplified license file that does not include this option. In that case, it would be very easy to run 10 subscriptions licenses and 5 non-subscription licenses for a total of 15 total current licenses, for example. It's confusing, but it does work. I have had to explain this to Autodesk Activations before as I do not believe they are aware that the licenses work in this fashion.
If you provide more details, I might be able to lead you in the direction that you desire.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 4
robert

Thanks Travis- we were able to have authcenter generate a license file that did exactly what we needed it to do. No need to have the licenses on separate servers now.
Message 4 of 4
TravisNave

Excellent!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report