Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy new Inventor 2014 and legally use Inventor 11

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
_jan_kowalski
537 Views, 9 Replies

Buy new Inventor 2014 and legally use Inventor 11

Hi,

Company I work in has 5 single-licenses of Autodesk Inventor 11 Series, now we have a new collegue joining the team and we intend to buy a new licence of Autodesk Inventor 2014 (Product Design Suite), but install another Inventor 11.

Can I authorize such product installation in Autodesk?

Is this legal?

We will not use new version at all, we just want another license of software we already use and we are very satisfied of.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jessica.t
in reply to: _jan_kowalski

Hello and welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Once a license is upgraded and the new license is activated, that previous version becomes no longer available unless it's on Subscription. You are essentially forfeiting your previous version in place of a new one at a discounted price.

Therefore, since you have 5 licenses of the previous version, you should still have 4 available seats.

Does that answer your question? If you have any other concerns please let me know.  Thank you!

Jessica Thrasher
Message 3 of 10

Thank you for answer jessica.t, but I've been misunderstood.

Now, we have 5 pcs of Inventor 11, we want to increase to 6 pcs by buying 1 new license.

We just want to have 6 stations - all running Inventor 11.

Message 4 of 10
dgorsman

If these are network licenses, you can run up to 3 versions back from the current release (soon to be 2015, so 2014/2013/2012).  I don't think that policy applies to stand-alone licenses.  Given that your are soon to be out of the range of supported versions, I don't think what you want will be happening.  You *might* be able to get a service extension depending on your Subscription status (we had an extension of several months a few years ago in order to finish off exing projects) but only enough to get your existing installations migrated forward.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 10

Hi Jan,

Jessica and David are right

If you’re under subscription you can request a previous version so you’ll be able to use your 2011 version.

If you’re not under subscription you will get a 2014 release and you won’t be able to install your 6th computer with 2011 release.

I hope this is clearer.

Frédéric Bernabo
Message 6 of 10

Thank you for involvment, but I saw this page before and it didn't answer my question.

Issue:

You're a Subscription Customer and need to request a license to use a previous version of Autodesk software you have licensed under Subscription.

Solution:

Contract Managers and Software Coordinators can request the use of previous versions for most Autodesk software products, giving you greater flexibility to use the most recent release, while continuing to use older versions for ongoing projects.

This is exactly what I need, but:

1. I don't even need to use both the most recent release, while continuing to use older versiosns. I want to use only the old version.

2. I don't need to download anything - I have original DVDs.

3. the main issue is: I am using Inventor 11 not 2011. It is like 2007...

If I would have Inventor 2011 I wouldn't ask here...

Is there anyone/anyplace in Autodesk to ask (successfully - of course) for an exception of this silly three previous version rule?

We are legal owners of 3 old Inventor 11 licencses (sorry not 5, just double-checked that, 2 other are alternative software. It doesn't matter though, we want Inventor.) and we need a 4th one (the best: also Inventor 11).

Is there a chance for any real customer-supplier relations in Autodesk or is there not? This is my question.

If yes - I would like to know who is the man or where is the place to ask for such thing.

Message 7 of 10
drp281

you can go through your reseller for help

but i doubt autodesk will get you approval for inventor 11 since you never owned 4 licenses of inventor 11

Message 8 of 10
_jan_kowalski
in reply to: drp281

Well, that doesn't answer my question at all.

Of course I am in contact with local resellers, but I try to look beyond as well.

Is 4 licenses some sort of limit?

Message 9 of 10
jessica.t

The issue isn't with the number of licenses but rather that we don't support products older than three versions back from the current release. We could potentially make an exception for license one year past that, but a 2007 is eight years old. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Jessica Thrasher
Message 10 of 10
_jan_kowalski
in reply to: jessica.t

Thank you jessica.t for clear answer.

Nevertheless it's a shame.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report