Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Borrowed License not working in ACAD 2011

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
ssx_Autodesk
924 Views, 10 Replies

Borrowed License not working in ACAD 2011

I'm running Windows 7, AutoCAD 2011 with a License Server and the Borrowed License feature isn't working.

I can borrow the license while i'm connected to the network and ACAD tells me "You've successfully borrowed a license." and give me the date range as usual.  But as soon as i disconnect from the network and start ACAD, it's asking for the License File or Lisence Server.

Also, the cancel button at this "Specify License Server or License File" dialog doesn't work.  I'm stuck at that dialog until i re-connect to the network.  At that point, hitting cancel then brings you to the "Can't obtain License" dialog and you can exit the app.

Any thoughts?

(we have been using it on ACAD 2008 without a problem for a few years now)

-O.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
ssx_Autodesk
in reply to: ssx_Autodesk

it seems that it has something to do with Windows 7 (the error code -18)?

from ACD2011ENUAdlm.log

3816 2011/10/17 12:27:44 Reason=Fatal error
3816 2011/10/17 12:27:44 ComputerName=CL900-01
3816 2011/10/17 12:27:44 OS=6.1.7601.Service Pack 1
3816 2011/10/17 12:27:44 File=AdlmIntNWFBLicense.cpp,Line=764
3816 2011/10/17 12:27:44 VendorID=3 [FLEXLM-NW]
3816 2011/10/17 12:27:44 VendorError=-18 [Server does not support this feature]
3816 2011/10/17 12:27:44 FLEXLM-NW=v11.7.0.2 build 83002 i86_n3
3816 2011/10/17 12:27:48 Reason=Fatal error
3816 2011/10/17 12:27:48 ComputerName=CL900-01
3816 2011/10/17 12:27:48 OS=6.1.7601.Service Pack 1
3816 2011/10/17 12:27:48 File=AdlmIntNWFBLicense.cpp,Line=747
3816 2011/10/17 12:27:48 AdlmIntError=20 [License check out failed]

everything works fine on the XP machines.

one odd thing i notice is that teh log is referring to FLEXLM v.11.7.0.2, but when i check the LMTOOLS onteh server, it says it's version 11.9.0.0

Message 3 of 11
ssx_Autodesk

ok, so both 2008 and 2011 do NOT work on the Windows 7 machine.  Both versions work on the XP machines.  So it looks like its a LM issue.

I'm still not sure why the log files are indicating v11.7 and i have v11.9 installed...but i see there is a v11.10 available so i'll try that.

(oh, it should also be noted that if i have a license checked out, AND i'm still connected to the network, i get the "you have a license checked out" message and all that)

anyone else ...  ?  anyone?

Message 4 of 11
TravisNave

If you are connected to a docking station or a port replicator, or if your NIC goes into power saving mode when not in use, then this could invalidate your license file. The license requires that both the user profile and the network card MAC be the same when offline as online.  Therefore, if you disconnect and your NIC becomes powered off or you login as another user, this will not work. 

Check the power settings of your NIC and make sure that it is unchecked to turn off the device to conserve power.  Worst case, you may need to at least have a working network device present, even if it is a loopback adapter. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 11
ssx_Autodesk
in reply to: TravisNave

yeah i found out it was the docking station about an hour ago.  kind of a pain for tablets with no ethernet port 🙂  so now we'll try getting the tablet on the domain wirelessly.

Thanks for the tip 🙂

Message 6 of 11
ssx_Autodesk

any ideas on this loopback adapter thing?  would that allow the borrowing?

Message 7 of 11
TravisNave

Theoretically yes, so long as your loopback driver adapter allows for a cloning of the MAC address.  Basically the license is dependent on the NIC being there to match.  When you disconnect from the dock, the MAC changes from the external NIC to the Internal NIC.  If you cloned either one, it would potentially work. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 8 of 11
ssx_Autodesk

doesn't seem to work.  i just stuffed the docking stations MAC into the "physical address" value of the loopback (there wasn't the traditional "clone MAC address" option).  

I borrowed the license while connected, and on disconnecting and re-opening acad, it still bombed.

am i correct in assuming that's what you were meaning?  that the loopback adapter can assume any MAC address, so if you give it the docking station address, acad would see the loopback MAC as being a match to what the license server generated for the docking station?

Message 9 of 11
TravisNave

Correct. You might try it with your physical NIC then and see if it works any better. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 10 of 11
ssx_Autodesk

just matched all the ip settings between the two adapters and it still doesn't seem to work.

what were you meaning when you say try it on my physical NIC first?  try what?  i was thinking i was just trying to mimic my physical nic with the loopback.  that the loopback would be a dummy or decoy of the physical nic.

oh, did i mention the tablet has NO NIC CARD??  🙂  it has a wifi adapter and thats it.  maybe you were thinking i had a physical nic in the tablet - that would explain my confusion above.

Message 11 of 11
TravisNave

Ah, I see.  So basically your dock acts as the physical NIC for your tablet and when disconnected, there is no internal Ethernet card.  So therefore, you will likely need to clone your WiFi adapter and make sure it is powered and enabled for this to be used offline.  Interesting situation.  Throws another wrench into the mix.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report