Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Network License Manager 2015

61 REPLIES 61
SOLVED
Message 1 of 62
TravisNave
35145 Views, 61 Replies

Autodesk Network License Manager 2015

Well, it's that time again.  Time to update your Autodesk Network License Manager files to the latest and greatest (Autodesk) version.

Autodesk is providing version 11.12 for 2015 products. 

NOTE:  According to Autodesk, you MUST install the v11.12 version for 2015 products to work.  However, I have successfully gotten licenses to work on the previously maximum compatible 11.7 version.  You can read more about this disclaimer here:

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2014/03/autodesk-2015-products-latest-nlm-1112.html?utm_s...

You can download the Autodesk Network License Manager files here for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Latest-...

You can always get the latest version of the NLM from the following link:

http://www.globes.com/support/fnp_utilities_download.htm

At the time of this post, the latest version is 11.12, which is the same version supplied by Autodesk.  I have zipped and attached the necessary 64-bit adskflex vendor daemon file in this message (v11.12) for your convenience.  You can also use this file if you are using the Flexera License Administrator instead of LMTOOLS.  You can find the FLEXnet License Admin also in the link above.

You can update your license file to 2015 versions once your Subscription has been fulfilled. 

You can use the online method to activate your license here:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/installation-and-licensing

Or you can can call Autodesk Product Registration and Authorization:

http://en.autodesk.ca/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=9719649&id=9830778

1-800-551-1490 > Option 1 (English) > Option 2 > (Network)

Asia / Pacific: 65.6735.5688
Europe / Middle East / Asia: 41.32.723.9595

You will need to provide your serial number and ethernet ID of the new license server.

For a Quick-Start Guide on configuring the Autodesk License Manager, please see my post for further information:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Quick-Start-Guide-for-Configuring-LMTOOLS/m-p/3...

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Tags (1)
61 REPLIES 61
Message 21 of 62
TravisNave
in reply to: bcampbell11

-15 simply means that it cannot connect.  It is either a firewall issue or IPv6 issue.  Might disable firewall on the server or make exceptions for all the license manager .exe files and/or ports 2080 and 27000.

For more information about Network License Manager connectivity issues and IPv6, please see my discussion post here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Network-License-Error-1-5-15-and-IPv6/td-p/2982...

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 22 of 62
bcampbell11
in reply to: TravisNave

ok, i disabled the firewall and now i get error code 0.0.0.  Is this a problem with my license file?

Message 23 of 62
TravisNave
in reply to: bcampbell11

Possibly.  Does your status enquiry show 2015 licenses?  Is your adskflex.exe showing 11.12?

Autodesk Forums:
Message 24 of 62
bcampbell11

it is working now, I think I had combined the file license files incorrectly.  I made exeptions for the 4 .exe files associated with the nlm and turned firewall back on.  Everything seems to be running smoothly. 

I really appreciate the quick knowledgeable responses, Thanks!!

Message 25 of 62
ssenbore

I have checked, and it is. (See highlighted line in attached picture).

Also, the last two lines show that it served a license of Simulation CFD, but iti does not work for Simulation Mechanical.

Does it matter that my computer is both a license server and client?

Message 26 of 62
TravisNave
in reply to: ssenbore

@ssenbore wrote:

I have checked, and it is. (See highlighted line in attached picture).

Also, the last two lines show that it served a license of Simulation CFD, but iti does not work for Simulation Mechanical.

Does it matter that my computer is both a license server and client?

It does matter since the client cannot connect to itself as the server if it is using IPv6.  If you ping and the localhost comes back as ::1 ,then that is the issue.  It needs to be an IPv4 address locally, preferably 127.0.0.1.

For more information about Network License Manager connectivity issues and IPv6, please see my discussion post here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Network-License-Error-1-5-15-and-IPv6/td-p/2982...

Autodesk Forums:
Message 27 of 62
ssenbore
in reply to: DarrenP

The feature codes were not in the license file. I realized I had forgot to copy the contents of the Simulation Mechanical license file into my main license file.

I copied the contents over, reread the license file and everything is now working.

Thanks for your help!
Message 28 of 62
johnpitcher

Hi Travis, firstly thanks for all the info here, just keen to know of any issues running flex 11.12 on Win server 2003.  I see its not supported officially, do you know of any issues?

Regards JSP

Message 29 of 62
TravisNave
in reply to: johnpitcher

I ran it on my 2003 server at first release until I finally upgraded this
month. It does work just fine. My guess is that it is no longer on the list
of supported servers because it is retired.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 30 of 62
hugh.weisman

I don’t know if you can help, but if you can point me in the right direction, we would appreciate it.

• We’ve received Building Design Suite Standard 2015 on a USB stick and installed it, but haven’t been able to get the network licensing manager up and running.
  • We’ve installed NLM on our server, a Mac Mini running OS 10.6 Snow Leopard Server.
  • We’ve obtained a license and copied it to flexlm
  • When we run lmgrd to start the NLM service, we receive error messages indicaing that there’s a mis-match between the server hostname in the license file and the “valid system hostname.”
  • We then change the name in our license file to match the “valid system hostname” and receive similar error messages.As many times as we change the license file to match the host, we're told its invalid and basically we're running around in circuls. 
  • We’ve contacted autodesk customer support and have exchanged more than a half dozen  emails with Jeffrey Asbury there, At this point, he's given up and suggested we install on a Windows 7 machine. We could do this, but all our WIndows 7 machines are clients and we prefer to let them sleep when not being used. It seems a bit perverse that we can sucessfully install NLM on our Mac Mini Server.

Right now, we’re pulling our hair our trying to get the NLM up and running. Attached are some typical error messages.

Hugh

Message 31 of 62
mark.kong
in reply to: hugh.weisman

Hi Travis,

First of all, thank you for all the information. Very much appreciated.

currently our nlm is installed on win 2003 server. I have no issue to upgrade that server to win 2008, however, that will change the server name.

This may caused me an issue as I have users pointing their autocad to the old server name. 

DO you know if there is a quicker way to update the licpath.lic on the user machine? I have around 100 machines, so manual update can be very tedious process. thank you in advance.

Message 32 of 62
GTVic
in reply to: mark.kong

@mark.kong wrote:

Hi Travis,

First of all, thank you for all the information. Very much appreciated.

currently our nlm is installed on win 2003 server. I have no issue to upgrade that server to win 2008, however, that will change the server name.

This may caused me an issue as I have users pointing their autocad to the old server name. 

DO you know if there is a quicker way to update the licpath.lic on the user machine? I have around 100 machines, so manual update can be very tedious process. thank you in advance.

1. I use NSIS to create small install scripts for situations like this. If the users have admin then they can run it themselves to update the LIC file
  2. Another option is to create a small script to update the HKCU registry value for ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE environment variable which would override the LIC file. This can be run by each user even without admin but multiple users on one machine would all have to do this.
  3. Another option is to just let the users type in the new server name when the prompt appears

Message 33 of 62
GTVic

Our 11.10 NLM files were installed manually on Server 2003 so we did the following to update to 11.12

1. Stop service
  2. Overwrite 4 exe files for 11.12 (lmutil, lmgrd, adskflex, lmtools)
  3. Start service
  4. Read new LIC/OPT files

Seems to be working fine for 2013/14 products, need to test a 2015 product though

Message 34 of 62
TravisNave
in reply to: GTVic

Looks like you're in good shape.  As for upgrading to 2008 and the name change, if the old server is going away (like mine did) you can cheat and point the old DNS entry to the new server.  Cheap move, but it works. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 35 of 62
pedro

I'm having a really hard time getting past error 0.0.0 on the first install of a networked license I've tried here so far. I was very relieved to find that I needed to upgrade to 11.12 after a while of fumbling around and did so but I'm still receiving the error.

Deleted the cascade file as well...

Affected machine can ping the server...

I don't know what to do at this point. Here's a dump of the NLM Status Enquiry:

Spoiler

--------
Status
--------
Flexible License Manager status on Tue 7/29/2014 13:25

[Detecting lmgrd processes...]
License server status: 27000@sdsrv01
    License file(s) on sdsrv01: C:\Autodesk License File\2015 License.lic:

sdsrv01: license server UP (MASTER) v11.11

Vendor daemon status (on sdsrv01):

adskflex: UP v11.11
Feature usage info:

Users of 85787BDSPRM_F:  (Total of 1 license issued;  Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 86238BDSPRM_2015_0F:  (Total of 1 license issued;  Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 86071BDSPRM_2014_0F:  (Total of 1 license issued;  Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85946BDSPRM_2013_0F:  (Total of 1 license issued;  Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85952ARDES_2013_0F:  (Total of 1 license issued;  Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85787BDSPRM_2012_0F:  (Total of 1 license issued;  Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85837NAVSIM_2012_0F:  (Total of 1 license issued;  Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85841ARDES_2012_0F:  (Total of 1 license issued;  Total of 0 licenses in use)

Users of 85730ACD_2012_0F:  (Total of 1 license issued;  Total of 0 licenses in use)

If anyone could offer any assistance I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: well this is bizarre, The about on the LM Tools utility tells me I'm running v11.12 but I see on the status inquiry that it's still 11.11.  Going to try reinstalling it.

Message 36 of 62
TravisNave
in reply to: pedro

You have to stop the service and close LMTOOLS before it will let you overwrite the files to 11.12.  

Autodesk Forums:
Message 37 of 62
pedro

Could have sworn I had.  Second try did the trick.  Thanks.

Message 38 of 62
jmlip

Hi Travis,

I have one user that leaves his computer on overnight.  He typically has Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault 2015 open on his desktop.  The next day he will lose his license for Inventor but not the Vault or AutoCAD.  Any ideas why that is?  I have attached the log from today.

Thanks,

Joan

Message 39 of 62
TravisNave
in reply to: jmlip

@jmlip 

Leaving the application running overnight is typically not recommended.  By default, the NLM will do a license reset at midnight.  What is probably happening is that the licensing is being lost at that time.  You can disabled this with the adskflex.opt options file by adding AUTOMATIC_REREAD OFF to the file and rereading the license to put it into effect.

Leaving the app running all the time without rebooting the computer will eventually cause all kinds of slow downs and memory issues.  If the user is worried about not having a license, then RESERVE one for that user in the same adskflex.opt file.  If there is no other reason, it is probably just a bad habit that the user needs to break.

For eveything you could possibly want to know about the adskflex.opt Options file for FlexLM, please see my KB article here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Managing-the-adskflex-opt-Options-File/td-p/307...

Good Luck!

Autodesk Forums:
Message 40 of 62
jmlip

Travis,  that helps a lot!  Thanks for all the information!

Joan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report