Installation & Licensing

Message 1 of 2 (233 Views)

Autodesk Inventor 2013 100% CPU on new OS install - SOLVED

233 Views, 1 Replies
06-24-2013 10:22 PM

Posting this here in case anyone else has this problem. I installed Autodesk Product Development Suite 2013 on a freshly unboxed Dell Precision M4700 (plenty of horsepower). Autodesk Inventor ran extremely slowly and took 100% of one CPU core, or around 30% of the total CPU. The other Autodesk apps in the suite ran quick and smooth. 

Lot's of troubleshooting later - the fix is to NOT use a custom font scaling in the OS. Once I changed the display text size to Medium 125% (the default) the problem was resolved. 

Hopefully this note means you won't have to go through what I did, but here's the deets if you care: I set up my new hi-res laptop with Windows 8 and thought the default system font size of Medium 125% was too big so I changed it to 110%. Then i proceeded to install all my software on the laptop. Inventor barely ran on the new laptop and was way faster on my 3 year old laptop so I knew something was wrong. I ran Process Monitor from SysInternals and it showed that Inventor was getting a Buffer Overflow error on a particular font. The error occurred repeatedly and was causing an endless loop. I uninstalled that font and when I rebooted my system font was replaced by some weird font. So that's when I discovered the problem was related to the system font. And once I knew that the problem was fixed in minutes. This all took place over about 6 hours of multiple full uninstalls, test profiles, changing permissions, registry investigations, etc.

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 2 of 2 (216 Views)

Re: Autodesk Inventor 2013 100% CPU on new OS install - SOLVED

06-26-2013 10:07 AM in reply to: rodgerkeesee

Thanks for sharing and adding to the value of the community.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube