Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk DWG TrueView and Autodesk Design Review -- licensing

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
10114 Views, 9 Replies

Autodesk DWG TrueView and Autodesk Design Review -- licensing

Before I install Autodesk DWG TrueView and Autodesk Design Review, I would like to better understanding the licensing. Are these software tools that can be downloaded on any PC? Or can you ONLY download these tools if you have a license version of Autodesk on your PC? Are these 2 software packages (Autodesk DWG TrueView and Autodesk Design Review) consider API modules? The website states: "Free products subject to the terms and conditions of the end-user license agreement that accompanies download of the software." But I don't know what end-user license agreement it is referring too and where to find it, thanks!
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
TravisNave
in reply to: Anonymous

It's pretty much wide open. Attached is the EULA for your review. You can also read it during the install. It's the part where you click, I agree. Yeah, I don't read it either. 😃

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Thank you for the quick reply, a couple a follow up question.

The License agreement you provided as for the U.S./Canada and reading the "License Grant" -- I clearly understand it is free.

In my search I found I ran across the "Worldwide" license and looks like there is additional verbage (that I don't understand) in the License Grant area. Attached is the version I found. So does this mean that my counterparts in Europe/India/China cannot use Autodesk DWG TrueView and Autodesk Design Review for free like I can in the US?

In this license agreement I get confused on what an API is and the additional words that are not in the US copy. Thanks!
Message 4 of 10
TravisNave

The way I understand that verbage is that the software can be installed and used so long as there is the accompanying fully license product (i.e. AutoCAD) also installed on that computer. Previously it had been okay to run the free version stand-alone by itself on an infinite number of computers, but Autodesk had changed this so that you must run it in relation to its licensed counterpart.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Ok, so now we have come full circle and I'm back to being confused.

Can I download and use Autodesk DWG TrueView and Autodesk Design Review freely if I don't have a license for Autodesk?

Does your answer to the above questions remain the same if I'm located in the US vs. outside the US?
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Hi,

In my opinion if you want use some API you must have a fully license product.
In other case you can download and use it without problem.
It's remain the same in Europe as i know.

Franck Hervet
(Europe - French)
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Thank you, and I know API is "application programming interfaces." What are all your APIs? I'm assuming Autodesk DWG TrueView and Autodesk Design Review are APIs, correct?
Message 8 of 10
TravisNave

Correct. But the wording now prohibits reinstalling or distributing the application to a client where the licensed version of the accompanying product is not installed. At least, that is how I interpret the portion you blocked in red. Granted, none of us are lawyers and the EULA is always up for interpretation. Fun...

Autodesk Forums:
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

We are using DWG True View on many PCs, also without installation of our AutoCad and Inventor Products we have.

Not every User needs to "draw", some people just have to view and to do something like dcumentation. There for these products are useful and in my opinion there for they are build.
Message 10 of 10
TravisNave

I agree. However, the question is about whether or not doing what you describe is actually compliant to the license agreement. The problem is that the EULA changes from version to version and from region to region. Makes it very difficult to keep "legal" in these cases. That's where the concern lays.

Autodesk Forums:

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report