Installation & Licensing

luis.ayala
Message 1 of 6 (13,069 Views)

Autodesk Client how to Change License Server

13069 Views, 5 Replies
04-20-2011 12:27 PM

I’m network admin of my company and we have Autodesk Products installed on more than 500 client’s workstation (mostly AutoCAD map 3d, AutoCAD Civil). So I’m in migration process of our actual license server, while I’ve successfully installed and activated the latest version of FLEXNLM on the new server, but I don’t know how to change the client Workstations configuration to use the new server.

So far, I’ve updated the new server name in the LICPATH.lic file that is stored in the installation folder of the client’s workstation. After that I’ve tested the AutoCAD 3D Map continue using the older license server. So it doesn’t work.

I’m sure this could be an easy task for somebody who work every day with AutoCAD, So could you please help me to comply this taskm without reinstalling the software?  And if possible, is there any automated way to change this configuration (GPO, scripts, anything.)

Thanks

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 2 of 6 (13,059 Views)

Re: Autodesk Client how to Change License Server

04-20-2011 02:35 PM in reply to: luis.ayala

First, verify that your NLM on the new server is configured and working.  You would have needed a new .LIC file if you changed servers.  Verify the status and that licenses are available. 

If the server is on an IPv6 enabled machine like Server 2008, Windows 7, or Vista and your clients are also of this IPv6 class, then there might be a connectivity issue.  Connecting via IPv4 will solve this. 

For more information about Network License Manager connectivity issues and IPv6, please see my discussion post here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Network-License-Error-1-5-15-and-IPv6/td-p/2982...

Alternately, to change the clients to point to the new location, create a System Environment Variable at each client.  The variable name should be ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE and the value should be @SERVERNAME where servername is the hostname of your server.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
court_schilt
Message 3 of 6 (8,161 Views)

09-06-2013 01:20 PM in reply to: luis.ayala

Hello.  I am trying to change/add license servers with several Autodesk products.  I've tried changing the LIC file as well as adding the vairiable.  Neither change has made any difference.  It still comes up and pulls a license from the old server.  Any insight would be useful. Thank you.

*Expert Elite*
DarrenP
Message 4 of 6 (8,157 Views)

09-06-2013 01:43 PM in reply to: court_schilt

try editing this registry key on a problem machine

Hkey-current_user>software>flexlm license manager>ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE

add the @newserver name in the value data field

court_schilt
Message 5 of 6 (8,148 Views)

09-06-2013 04:01 PM in reply to: luis.ayala

That key is in the registry.  I tried renaming it to see if it would impact the software.  When I renamed it it forced Autodesk to create a new key and then it worked with a new server.  When I put in a secondary server in the EV (the original server) it went to that server even though listed second and there are open licenses on the first server.  It's like it defaults to that server if listed.

Thoughts?

*Expert Elite*
DarrenP
Message 6 of 6 (8,142 Views)

09-06-2013 07:36 PM in reply to: court_schilt
what happens if you stop the license manager on that server?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Up & Ready Blog

Boldly Install, Configure and Deploy Autodesk Software.

AutodeskHelp Blog

Your one-stop shop for the latest solutions, breaking news, and behind the scenes access to the world of Autodesk support.

Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube