Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad fatal error Nvidia Optimus drivers problem

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
daniel.compel
2347 Views, 9 Replies

Autocad fatal error Nvidia Optimus drivers problem

Hi there,

I have a laptop, lenovo and installed AutoCad 2014. I have 2 GPUs: Intel HD Graphics 3000 and nVidia GTX 555M. I have an option of assigning them to different programs. First time I've installed Acad, by default Intel HD 3000 was choosen, but as I wanted to take the avantage of better graphics, I've decided to switch to nVidia (latest drivers). And here is the problem: it was working with Intel GPU, but for some reason, once switched to nVidia, after few seconds of loading screen, it returns me the following message:
"autocad unhandled access violation reading 0x0000 exception..."
and turns off after I click ok. But interesting is That when I had older drivers (about year old) autocad was working even with Nvidia GPU. I had this problem also with 2013 version .

Does anyone have an Idea how to tackle this one? Please help me its killing me because autocad with Intel graphics is really slow.

Cheers and regards
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

And sorry for my english but Im not native... Thanks a lot, Daniel
Message 3 of 10
dgorsman
in reply to: daniel.compel

Could have fooled me - your post is better than some native English-only posters.

Two solutions I've seen mentioned, both have some risk, and I haven't tried either.  The first is to disable the on-chip graphics in the BIOS which will force the discrete card to be used.  The second is to uninstall the Optimus software.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 10

Firstly thank you a lot for responding me. Im glad to see that someone tries to help me with this unsolvable (for me) situation.

I was looking in bios for option to disable on-chip graphic card... And there is no option to disable. And if I uninstall Optimus software ill not be able to use this Nvidia gpu. Or will I?
Message 5 of 10
TravisNave

Definitely use the nVidia GPU.  But install this WHQL certified driver first:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win8-win7-64bit-314.22-whql-driver.html

Make sure during the install that you choose to do a *clean* installation.  So check that box.  It will uninstall the previous, reboot, and restart the installer to complete the new driver. 

Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 10

Sorry I did not mentioned that I have Windows 7 64 bit. Hello travisnave! Thank you for respond. I downloaded your driver and I had actually this driver on my machine. But Ive tried reinstallation (complete AS you said) and it didnt worked... Still get this "FATAL ERROR: Unhandled access violation reading 0xffffffff exception at fa000004h" Im really sad. What am I supposed to do? Im not sure if you seen that I mentioned that my autocad was working with Nvidia gpu with older driver. The last working Driver has number something around 290. Meanwhile Nvidia released many updates and it included better Autodesk products performance. Just to be said I have this problem with all Autodesk products with latest drivers.
Message 7 of 10
DarrenP

go back to an older driver that worked

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 10

And Ive tried to send reports of this error but without any response from Autodesk.
Message 9 of 10

Yes, Ive installed older version but I got big performance drop in other apps like photoshop and others. So this is not solution for me. I dont want to waste your time. If there will be not such performance drop ill use this older one but it really matters for my photoshop to have the latest one.
Message 10 of 10

ADSK publishes a list of certified drivers and graphics cards that are thoroughly tested and supported.  I suggest you consult this list for to see if your graphics is supported, if so download the recommended driver. Generally you should purchase a professional graphics card Quadro or FirePro for this the following reasons -  performance, functionality, certification and support.

link to certified systems

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report