Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 Error 1603 during install.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
pmiles2
4896 Views, 10 Replies

AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 Error 1603 during install.

Starting a new thread since the last one was muddled...

Okay, I am a student and need to run the same version of the software that we are using at school.  I have downloaded and successfully installed AutoCAD 2012, AutoCAD 2013, and AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 without having to do anything special.  AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 on the other hand seems to be a special snowflake.

I keep getting a 1603 error during the installation process (phase 2 of 4).  Neither the setup log or the verbose log say anything specifically caused the failure (look for yourself).

What I have tried:

Rebooting.

Deleted files in: C:\Users\pmiles\AppData\Local\Temp and C:\Windows\Temp.

Norton AntiVirus disabled and enabled.

Tried as Administrator, Run As Adminstrator, and User.

Changed security permissions on C:\Program Files\Autodesk folder for SYSTEM, Administrators, Users, TrustedInstaller to full control.  It won't change the settings for CREATOR OWNER.

UAC control has always been off.

Tried using a downloaded version of AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 as Trial, Download Now, and Browser Download versions.

Add/Programs shows the following Autodesk products installed:

AutoCAD 2013 - English

Autodesk Content Service

Autodesk Download Manager

Autodesk Inventor Fusion 2013

Autodesk Material Library 2013

Autodesk Material Library Base Resolution 2013

Autodesk Sync

I do have a later version of the 2010 C++ distributable installed, however unlike in the other threads, my logs say nothing about it being involved where their logs specifically did.

I can email you the Installation log, Setup log and verbose log attached.  Short of wiping my system clean, I have tried everything to get this application to install.  I resist that notion because I fear that AutoCAD 2013 might just magically decide it doesn't like to install for the same reason and I need it for school as well.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
TravisNave
in reply to: pmiles2

Mechanical 2013 will not install if AutoCAD 2013 is already installed.  This is because (for some odd reason) Mechanical 2013 installs to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2013 instead of AutoCAD Mechanical 2013.  I spent the last two hours figuring this out for a customer.  Once I renamed the existing AutoCAD folder, the Mechanical installed.  Since it also has Vanilla AutoCAD as part of its package, I suspect that is the reasoning. 

I recommend renaming your AutoCAD 2013 folder and reinstalling Mechanical.  If it fails, then you can put AutoCAD back.  If it works, then you will be all set.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 11
pmiles2

Okay, renaming the AutoCAD 2013 folder solved the installation issue with AutoCAD Mechanical 2013...

However, for those of you out there contemplating the same thing, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you just uninstall AutoCAD 2013 from the get go.  Renaming the folder just proved that AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 would install, ultimately you will have to remove AutoCAD 2013, and to do that, it needs to be renamed back to it's original name.  I unfortunately didn't do that, so when I clicked on uninstall from control panel, the app name disappeared but it didn't remove the application.  I ended up having to use a restore point to get it back to before installing AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 just so that I could uninstall AutoCAD 2013.

So, for the cliff note version, REMOVE AutoCAD 2013 BEFORE installing AutoCAD Mechanical 2013.

You should sticky this at the top of the forum... not this thread but a warning to those attempting to install AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 after installing AutoCAD 2013.

Message 4 of 11
TravisNave

You probably did a little bit too much leg work.  I do agree that uninstalling AutoCAD is desired first.  However, if you do not, simply delete the old AutoCAD folder and launch icons and then use any installer clean-up utility to remove the registration from Control Panel.  Sorry, I probably could have saved you some grief.  In any case, I am glad you are up and running! 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 11
pmiles2

I'm not up and running.  AutoCAD 2013 won't install now.  Same 1603 error.  I suspect it's because AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 is installed in it's location.  What a headache!

I did install SP 1 for mechanical...  it's not showing up in add/remove programs though.  What now?  Rename folders again?

Message 6 of 11
pmiles2

Okay, now I have both AutoCAD 2013 and AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 installed.

This is what I did:

I uninstalled AutoCAD 2013 Mechanical. 

I installed AutoCAD 2013. 

I then installed AutoCAD 2013 Mechanical.

Why did this work now?  Simply put, there were no service packs installed.  When I had the service pack for AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 installed, AutoCAD 2013 refused to install.  AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 was probably refusing to install because AutoCAD 2013 had a service pack installed.  I didn't know that a service pack was installed because Add/Remove programs in Control Panel only lists the base install, no service packs.  Thus, there was no way to know there was a service pack installed, let alone remove it anyway.  By uninstalling AutoCAD 2013, you remove the service pack and in essence eliminate the issue with the installer.

So in a nutshell, it's the service pack, be it for AutoCAD 2013 or AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 that is the real culprit here.  It has nothing to do with installing AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 before AutoCAD 2013.  You just can't have any service packs installed.

Message 7 of 11
vectorm12

I can confirm that SP1.1 for AutoCAD 2013 was the culprit in my case as well. Uninstalled the Service Pack and Architecture 2013 installed without a hitch.

Message 8 of 11
freesbee

I can confirm that the issue is the SP of AutoCAD.

I can also confirm that renaming the "AutoCAD 2013" folder absolutely doesn't help.

The problem gets even more tricky if you try to install/deploy the Factory Design Suite package, wich has "AutoCAD Architecture" installing before "AutoCAD Mechanical": you can prepare your deployment as good as you want, but if you append SP1 for Architeture there will be no chances to install Mecahnical and all the following programs (and also few chances to understand why that happens).

In this paradox, Autodesk is sending out more and more immature software, leaving on the shoulders of the users the heavy duty to understand how to let it work. I am deploying on about 40 workstations, and this year the migration 2012->2013 could not happen until release of Inventor SP1.1update2 on Feb14th2013 (due to stability problems with the absurd new "adsklib Material Library Technology", see this thread for further info http://autodesk.lithium.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/2013-Materials-editor/td-p/3427407/page/6 ). The first attempt resulted in an incredible waste of time.

If a reasonable system administrator prepares a deployment for any AutodeskSuite2013 8 months after the product came out, he will of course append in the deployment all possible/necessary SP and updates. And here we come to the AutoCAD Mechanical trying to install above AutoCAD Architecture SP1 wich will miserably fail Smiley Very Happy

Autodesk: would it make sens to make a new release every second year, or even better, when the software is ready for that??? I know that you should motivate the prices of the subscriptions, but I am also aware that several releases in the past have been completely jumped over (Inventor9, Inventor 2010).

I am ready to pay the same money for subs even if we don't get one release each year... if software works better!

Massimo Frison
CAD R&D // PDM Admin · Hekuma GmbH
Message 9 of 11
TravisNave
in reply to: freesbee

Yes, it is a Service Pack issue on previously installed Suites.  I have written a follow-up KB since this post that can be found here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/AutoCAD-2013-Suite-failed-installation-aborted-...

To my knowledge and experience, it is the only work-around for this release.  Hopefully it will not pose an issue in subsequent versions.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 10 of 11
Withy14

Hi finally someone with good solution. Why are developers in AutoDesk so lazy not to implement such simple check. This was driving me crazy. I made 7-8 different deployment images with different setting but no one from AutoDesk cared to tell this information bur I never imagined that it would fail due to "Service Pack".

Message 11 of 11
freesbee
in reply to: Withy14

...hey, com'on, give us a KuDo then...
Massimo Frison
CAD R&D // PDM Admin · Hekuma GmbH

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report