Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2015 Unable to start 0xc0000142

55 REPLIES 55
SOLVED
Message 1 of 56
eric.a.bogenschutz
56450 Views, 55 Replies

AutoCAD 2015 Unable to start 0xc0000142

Brand New fresh install of AutoCAD 2015 and it won't open. Returns the following message: The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142).

Tried to install it on 3 various machines, all Windows 7, all 3 have the exact same message. Thus it's not computer related, it's either something with the build or a conflict with other software that is on all 3 of my PC's. (I.E. it's a pretty common software that it's conflicting with)

Dissappointing wanting to kick the tires on a new release and it won't even open! It's usually Christmas time for us Autodesk users, I just opened a present and found a lump of coal! 🙂

Eric Bogenschutz

55 REPLIES 55
Message 2 of 56

Are all three computers running the same antivirus, like Avast, for example?

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 56

They all have AV on them, and haven't had an issue with any other ADSK products on them. It's a corporate environment (25k employees), no option to disable Virus Scanning (McAfee).

We have Revit, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, 3DS Max in multiple versions and haven't ever had an issue with McAfee etc. I know it's a potential valid place to start, but seriously doubt it in this case.

Eric Bogenschutz

Message 4 of 56

Right, but we have to figure out what is common between all of those systems.  I also have McAfee and 2015 works just fine.  Because this is brand new software, any kind of bugs will have to be flushed out by finding out exactly what is causing it on your particular setup.  So anything you can find, turn off, etc. can only help.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 56

Hi,

I had the same problem just now and tried also close to everything with antivirus, firewall, uninstall (as clean as possible, including guided registry cleaning), trying different options for installation like just AutoCAD without any things like Exchange, 360, Content Service ... or on the other hand install as default.

After a couple of hours I got it running:

• uninstall AutoCAD (clean uninstall)
  • uninstall Adobe Acrobat (release 9)
  • reinstall AutoCAD (without any individual settings)

Some years ago there was a similar problem with 3D-Capturing within Adobe Acrobat. That remembering + looking into process-explorer (from Sysinternals) made me wondering, why ACAD.EXE looks to some Adobe registry content and file content. Well, uninstalling it made it for me, and I have not yet tried to reinstall Acrobat (I guess I will not do it as I don't need it).

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 6 of 56

Hi,

well, one step more, I had the exception 0xc0000142 on a Windows 7x32 virtual machine, that was solved as desribed above by uninstalling Adobe Acrobat.

And now I had a second system (my primary notebook, no VmWare), that has Win7x64 ... on that system I didn't need to uninstall the complete Adobe Acrobat, just the 64bit Extension that is listed in the installed programs as a seperate item.

But interesting: while I've got the same exception like you on Win7x32 I didn't get any exception on Win7x64. There a double click onto the AutoCAD start icon did nothing more than showing the wait-cursor for a very short time and nothing else, no exception, no startup-screen, ...

Hopefully that is a help for you or others, any feedback is welcome!

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 56

Hello,

I had the same issue with ACAD 2015 and ACAD LT 2015 on two computers based on Windows 7 x64.

Thanks to Alfred.NESWADBA, I fixed it by uninstalling both:

• Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro Extended (9.5.5)
  • Adobe PDF iFilter 9 x64

ACAD worked straight after unstallation of both softwares on both computers.

Regards,

Nick

Message 8 of 56
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: NGirardet

Hi,

thx for your feedback!

And just as an additional info: I played on one testsystem a little bit with this issue and I could reinstall Adobe Acrobat after AutoCAD was started once. So the source of the problem might be reduced for the first start (when AutoCAD creates it's user defined registry-/file-content) or when trying to run the activation process. When that processes are done, reinstalling made both products working.

BUT: I have not played to much with that, so I can't promise that this will work everywhere!

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 56

Alfred,

You are the man.  This will be a huge help to anyone else with this issue.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 10 of 56

Thank you! 🙂

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 11 of 56
kim_pham
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I don't have acrobat 9, I only have acrobat 10 prof., Do i need to uninstalled them?

thanks

Message 12 of 56
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: kim_pham

Hi,

>> I don't have acrobat 9, I only have acrobat 10 prof., Do i need to uninstalled them?

What problem do you have?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 13 of 56
mr_solom

i dont have adobe acrobat at all and same error occurred !! :s 0xc0000142 i dont know what to do ... i have tried to disconnect the internet,disable the avast antivirus and tried to repair,reinstall and uninstall and install it again ! please help
Message 14 of 56
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: mr_solom

Hi,

try first to create a new Windows user with admin permissions, then login with that account, start AutoCAD with right-click and option "start as administator".

Do you get the same exception message?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 15 of 56
ae_m44
in reply to: eric.a.bogenschutz

i uninstalled the adobe acrobat and all adobe products from my pc and still have athe same problem error 00xc0000142 what to do? also i cannot make a new user as i am a company user but administrator on my pc

AE
Message 16 of 56
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: ae_m44

Hi,

>> also i cannot make a new user as i am a company user but administrator on my pc

If you are a local admin you should be able to create a local user.

If you are not allowed to do that then ask one of your system admins to create a new temporary account.

If uninstalling of Acrobat didn't help I can't say what is the next step on your system.

I used Process-Monitor from TechNet (>>>click<<<) and watched what AutoCAD accessed (as files and in registry), that brought me to Acrobat, maybe you can find what software is it on your system.

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 17 of 56
ae_m44

can you please tell me how can i find that application making problem with autocad by using the process monitor?

AE
Message 18 of 56
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

in detail every trial and ever single click? Hard, needs a lot of time and maybe I have to rewrite part of the help.

At least to be as efficient as possible, it has a start end stop for monitoring. So start monitoring then (as quick as possible) start AutoCAD and when the message pops up, stop monitoring.

Then you have a few (hundreds) of lines of protocoll that show what happend while AutoCAD did it's initialization process, you now have to scan through it, see what AutoCAD does with files, does with registry, see what succeeded and what failed ... for the failed items, if it's ok that they failed or not ==> and that's the important items to go on playing with settings and/or other applications/drivers/permissions/...

With other words: there is no simple "do that click and clack and you see what the problem source is", it has to do with some knowledge adn some gut feelings too.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 19 of 56
ae_m44

dear Alfred 

just i want to thanks you too much regarding your help and support and i soolved the problem already. it was from graphic card software i m using NVIDIA GeForce 640 just i did update and evrything is ok now

i came to share the sulution and to say thank you

AE
Message 20 of 56
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

thank you for sharing your information about that 0xc0000142 error, maybe this thread will be a list of more soultions!

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report