Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2012 re-install fail

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1077 Views, 2 Replies

AutoCAD 2012 re-install fail

Hey everybody,

Im having difficulty installing AutoCAD 2012 on Win 7 64 bit. I know its a common problem but I looked high and low for a solution but no matter what I try I just can't get it to work. If anyone knows something that could help I woul really appreciate it.

So, the problem began when I tried to re-install AutoCAD 2012 on my computer. I had AutoCAD 2011 (student licence) installed and running with no issues. I decided to upgrade to 2012 so I uninstalled it and then installed AutoCAD 2012. However after a minute or so the install ends with a message of AutoCAD failed to install. I looked online for possible causes and many pointed to the fact that AutoCAD needed to be completely removed from my system before I could install a newer version. So I did, and then even used a force uninstall program (Revo Uninstall) to search for any hidden AutoCAD or AutoDesk files. Once I removed all traces of AutoCAD (to my knowlege), I tried to install 2012 again, and again it failed. At this point I consulted my brother in law who is familiar with computer programing to look at the install log for possible sources of the failure. We tried re-installing C++ and manually installing DirectX, but still it would not install. I finally gave up and decided since I need this for my school work I should just install 2011 again. BUT... when I try to install 2011 it says its already installed!! Clearly its not but somehow it thinks it is. Now Im stuck becasue neither version of AutoCAD wants to install. Does anyone have any idea on what I might still need to do in order to get it to work? Any imput would be greatly appreciated, especially since I cant get my schoolwork done until I fix it. Thanks!!!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
david.lau
in reply to: Anonymous

You will need to extrapolate the values for your product but the workflow is the same.

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2011/07/general-installation-cannot-uninstall-andor-reins...

David Lau
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You can get rid of all the temp files for autocad but YOU CAN NOT INSTALL UNTIL THE REGISTRY IS CLEARED 
If you have more than 1 version of autocad installed you must be careful

If an install setup is signed digitally by a trusted windows certificate antivirus WILL NOT PICK IT UP.
The only thing that will block it is the windows UAC

step1
Go to start in windows 7 and type regedit and hit enter for XP go to start, then Run and type regedit, next navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD and you will see something like r.18 r14.

Expand one of those by clicking arrow. Click once on a Acad folder and then go right and scroll to the right using the bar. 

Look for something like C:/programfiles(x86) autocad 2010 or similar

If you are trying and failing at installing any version of autocad first find the version then find it in the registry as i said and delete the key 

If i was failing at installing 2010 i will delete the selected folder. You may loose your previous preferences but its necessary to reinstall for you the picture shown MAY be different.

Be careful not to delete anything on accident or your system might need a fresh operating system install

View more at: http://www.techyv.com/questions/cant-install-autocad-2012-windows-7-professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report