Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 14 and Network error on only one machine, MINE!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
dand
478 Views, 6 Replies

AutoCAD 14 and Network error on only one machine, MINE!

I am recieving a "Fatal Error: Security system (hardware lock or network license) is not functioning or is improperly installed" message when trying to open
AutoCAD 14 on my machine. We have 4 licenses of Release
14. For over a year now my machine is the only one which cannot get access to a license. I am the network administrator and have access to everything. I have now had 2 completely different machines with Win NT 4.0 installed that denied me access. Now I have a new machine with Windows Prof. 2000 that does not give me access? I have tried simply logging on as some one else, but that does not work. Any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: dand

Dan -
If you are running R14 (and not R14.01) there is no way to make it work on win2k. If you
are using 14.01 then head on over to
ftp://adeskftp.autodesk.com/prodsupp/autocad2000/patches/adesksys.dll (watch for wrapping)
and get the updated adesksys.dll. Put it in the same location as the acad.exe file and it
"might" work. The reason that I say might is because of all of the trouble that you've
had trying to get NT4 working.

From you NT4 machine can you ping the adlm server by host name?
Can the adlm server ping your machine by host name?
Are you somehow blocking udp port 1422 between you and the adlm server?
Are you on the same subnet as the adlm server?

(btw all of the above assumes that you are running the tcp/ip version of the adlm and not
the ipx version)

Post back and let us know what you find

jason martin
frankfurt-short-bruza

"dand" wrote in message news:f0591e5.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
I am recieving a "Fatal Error: Security system (hardware lock or network license) is not
functioning or is improperly installed" message when trying to open
AutoCAD 14 on my machine. We have 4 licenses of Release
14. For over a year now my machine is the only one which cannot get access to a license. I
am the network administrator and have access to everything. I have now had 2 completely
different machines with Win NT 4.0 installed that denied me access. Now I have a new
machine with Windows Prof. 2000 that does not give me access? I have tried simply logging
on as some one else, but that does not work. Any ideas?
Message 3 of 7
dand

Jason-
Thanks for the responce. I am running 14.0 because that is what is on my server. I didn't want to have to reinstall the other workstations or take a chance of having me ACAD down since it is it relied on every day dy my staff. I have had 14.01 sitting around for months, if not more. Can I install it only on my machine?
The other info. I neglected to mention is that I do have a win nt server running the ADLM and we are TCP/IP.
Also can you explain how I can check the other items you mention. I know to go to run and enter PING, but what follows that? and same coming back from the server. How do I check udp port 1422 (What is it)
Thanks so much for your assisstance.
It is amazing that all three ACAD dealers I have dealt with had no idea how to solve my problem? 2 of the 3 didn't even know how the network version works.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Dan -
From your machine go to the command prompt and type ping serverhostname
(where serverhostname is the host name of the server. The host name is not the same thing
as the netbios name. Netbios is upper case, host is usually the lowercase version of the
same name, assuming that the netbios name didn't contain any characters that are invalid
dns name characters, Okay I'm talking in circles here... Go to the server and go to
Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Network --> Protocols --> TCP/IP Properties -->
DNS Tab. In the upper left portion of the dialog is a box labeled "host name". That is
the text that should replace serverhostname above. (as long as we're in here write down
the ip address and the subnet mask for the server).

You should get back a response like

Pinging adlmserver [10.0.0.6] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.0.0.6: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.6:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

The ip addresses that you see will be different (write it down for later reference), but
the data should be generally similar. If you get back a response like "Unknown Host" or
"Request timed out" then we have problems. If that works proceed to next step.

Find out the host name of your machine. For the NT4 machine you can find it in the same
place as on the server above. For the win2k machine open a dos prompt and type "ipconfig
/all" (sans quotes). The first line should read
Host Name . . . . . . . . :dansmachine
(while we're here write down the ip address and subnet mask for your machine to)

Now open a dos prompt on the server and type "ping dansmachine". You should get back
somethink like the above (write down the ip address again). If you don't, we have a
problem.

UPD 1422. As far as I know there is no (easy) way to check for this port being open. If
you don't have any routers / firewalls etc between you and the adlm server it should be
open.

Include the ip address / subnet masks of the adlm server and your workstations and I'll
look and see if you are in the same subnet.

As far as the 14.01, yes you can do a separate install to your win2k machine but you won't
be running the "network version" you'll be running a client deployment. What will happen
is you will need to run the setup.exe from the netsetup folder of the 14.01 CD and select
client deployment. This will create an installation image on a server somewhere that you
will then run on your win2k machine. This will put all of the executable files on your
local hard drive. Check the 14.01 installation manual for details or post back with any
specific questions.

Let us know.

jason martin
frankfurt-short-bruza

"dand" wrote in message news:f0591e5.1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
Jason-
Thanks for the responce. I am running 14.0 because that is what is on my server. I didn't
want to have to reinstall the other workstations or take a chance of having me ACAD down
since it is it relied on every day dy my staff. I have had 14.01 sitting around for
months, if not more. Can I install it only on my machine?
The other info. I neglected to mention is that I do have a win nt server running the ADLM
and we are TCP/IP.
Also can you explain how I can check the other items you mention. I know to go to run and
enter PING, but what follows that? and same coming back from the server. How do I check
udp port 1422 (What is it)
Thanks so much for your assisstance.
It is amazing that all three ACAD dealers I have dealt with had no idea how to solve my
problem? 2 of the 3 didn't even know how the network version works.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Oops forgot to mention one thing.

As of January 15 (or some such date) 2002, acad 14 will no longer be "upgradeable". That
means that as of that date, if you want to upgrade autocad you will have to buy a whole
new license rather than pay the upgrade price.

jason martin
frankfurt-short-bruza
Message 6 of 7
dand

Jason Thanks again,
OK: 1. I know about ACAD 14 upgarde date. I probably will upgrade later and of course will benefit from new version. Unfortunataly/Fortunately we are so busy and the ACAD is working/customized well I don't want to loose time to upgrade issues.
2. I can ping the server, but you mentione the ADLM server, The ADLM is installed on the server, should the ADLM have a different address?
Anyways assuming the server you are refering to is the actual server name, the subnet on it and my machine are the exact same. The IP adress are also the same except for the last section which ends with .1 on server and 101 on my machine.
As far as the router/firewall, we do have a firewall but we did not before and I couldn't get in before and other machines are of course subject to the same set up as me.
3. 14.01, are you saying I can add it/install it without disrupting the other machines... Do you mind please giving me step by step instructions on how to do it. Otherwise I will try to follow the manual, Of course the manuals seem to be in a different language for me.
4. I am again very thankfull for your time and effort and eagerly await your answers.
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Dan -
Inline
"dand" wrote in message news:f0591e5.4@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
Jason Thanks again,
OK: 1. I know about ACAD 14 upgarde date. I probably will upgrade later and of course will
benefit from new version. Unfortunataly/Fortunately we are so busy and the ACAD is
working/customized well I don't want to loose time to upgrade issues.

2. I can ping the server, but you mentione the ADLM server, The ADLM is installed on the
server, should the ADLM have a different address?
Anyways assuming the server you are refering to is the actual server name, the subnet on
it and my machine are the exact same. The IP adress are also the same except for the last
section which ends with .1 on server and 101 on my machine.
As far as the router/firewall, we do have a firewall but we did not before and I couldn't
get in before and other machines are of course subject to the same set up as me.

The adlm server is the NT server on which the adlm is running. The aldm uses udp port 1422
on the servers nic to do acad licensing. Since it's working for everyone else I'd say
that it's not a server specific issue but may be a problem with name recognition between
you and the server. Make sure that you can ping your machine, by host name, from the
server. The way the adlm works is that your machine basically does a broadcast to the
subnet asking if anyone has an acad license that you can have. This request is hopefully
recieved by the server and the server hast to reply back to you saying "yea, I have a
license". In your license request your host name is included. When the server says it
has a license it sends that back to the host name that was included in the original
request, as well as sending it's host name. After that some additional
handshaking/license issuance stuff takes place. Even once the license is issued the
server and "workstation" communicate, by host name, using a "heart beat" to make sure that
one hasn't dropped out and didn't notify the other. On the server there are some adlm too
ls in the start menu, using the adlm control tools set the verbosity to 9. If you have a
chance, when no one else is using acad try launching R14 (from your NT station) 3 or 4
times and then check the adlm log to see if the request is getting to the server.

3. 14.01, are you saying I can add it/install it without disrupting the other machines...
Do you mind please giving me step by step instructions on how to do it. Otherwise I will
try to follow the manual, Of course the manuals seem to be in a different language for me.

Yes. I don't have my 14 manuals handy but it will be something like this: Note: You
cannot run 14 and 14.01 (as far as I know) side by side on the same machine. On the same
network, not a problem, but not on the same machine.
-a If you already have installed R14 on your w2k station from the network install I'd
recommend un-plugging from the network and uninstalling acad 14.0.
a. Put the CD in your 2k machine and don't follow the autorun thingy
b. Navigate to the netsetup folder and run the setup.exe
c. From the menu select "Client and Autodesk License Manager Installation"
d. On the adlm install menu select install adlm files later
e. You'll need to have change rights to a share on the server somewhere to put the
installation image (doesn't matter what server, can even be a workstation rather than a
server as long as it is an accessible share). Navigate to that location for the "client
deployment location" when prompted.
f. Select a folder that you will want to install autocad to, something like C:\R14 or
c:\Program Files\acad14, where ever you want acad to be on your local hard drive.
g. Select the type of installtion to do. I usually do a full.
h. Enter the serial number and cd key.
i. Enter name/company/dealer information as requested.
j. Take a coffee break while the deployment image is created.
k. When the image is done you'll need to navigate to the share that you set the image
up on and run the setup.exe located there. This will install 14.01 on your machine
without modifying your existing 14.0 installation.
I'm pretty sure that R14 and 14.01 use the same license key (140) so you shouldn't have to
re-authorize anything on you adlm server.

hth

jason martin
frankfurt-short-bruza

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report