Installation & Licensing

Reply
Member
mlawson
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎05-03-2001
Message 1 of 7 (116 Views)

Any known conflicts with Novell Netware 5?

116 Views, 6 Replies
05-03-2001 03:09 AM
Our company is moving on to Novell Netware 5 and I have been asked to report on any known conflicts with AutoCAD 2000 and 2i, Autodesk Map R4, LDDT 2000 and 2i, ADT R2 and R3, and CAD Overlay 2000 and 2i. We are currently running some client installs and network installs, and we are using an NT 4.1 file server. Our IT department is going to give us the opportunity to test the software prior to upgrading, but I would like to hear from any of you if you know of any problems or errors I should test or be aware of.

We are already experiencing ‘read only drawing’ errors and constant WinNT profile problems with the current Novell. Is there anything I should test?

Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Melissa Lawson
CAD workstations/ Drafting Standard
*Gilmer, Tom
Message 2 of 7 (116 Views)

Re: Any known conflicts with Novell Netware 5?

05-03-2001 03:24 AM in reply to: mlawson
I have been on NW5 since 2/17/99. Each workstation has it's own licensed
copy of LDD2i. The only problem has been the readonly deal caused by an
improperly attached xref. The neat thing about NW is that you can
quickly find the ws causing the problem using the connection manager.
Make sure to get latest NW Client (4.8).

NW5 is much more stable then previous versions. I stayed with the
standard NetWare File System - it's fast, reliable and has given no
problems.

Go for it - Tom

"mlawson" wrote in message
news:f049870.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Our company is moving on to Novell Netware 5 and I have been asked to
report on any known conflicts with AutoCAD 2000 and 2i, Autodesk Map R4,
LDDT 2000 and 2i, ADT R2 and R3, and CAD Overlay 2000 and 2i. We are
currently running some client installs and network installs, and we are
using an NT 4.1 file server. Our IT department is going to give us the
opportunity to test the software prior to upgrading, but I would like to
hear from any of you if you know of any problems or errors I should test
or be aware of.
> We are already experiencing 'read only drawing' errors and constant
WinNT profile problems with the current Novell. Is there anything I
should test?
>
> Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Melissa Lawson
> CAD workstations/ Drafting Standard
>
>
Member
mlawson
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎05-03-2001
Message 3 of 7 (116 Views)

Re:

05-03-2001 05:14 AM in reply to: mlawson
Thank you Tom! The connection manager sounds like a very useful tool, I'll keep that in mind.

You didn't mention any problems with profiles, is this a NW issue, NT issue or something addressed in NW5?

Thanks again,
Melissa Lawson
*Gilmer, Tom
Message 4 of 7 (116 Views)

Re:

05-03-2001 05:49 AM in reply to: mlawson
I went live with NW5 two years ago and decided against roaming profiles.
I also decided against NDPS printing and TCP/IP on the Server. The
roaming profile issues mostly lie with NW, but they are very good at
getting things fixed. Here's some reading material:

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10052847.htm
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10059488.htm
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10052201.htm
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10024811.htm
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10059712.htm
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10053645.htm
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10013207.htm
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10051891.htm
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10025078.htm
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10059706.htm
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10059039.htm
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10015304.htm
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10060720.htm
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10053738.htm

- Tom

"mlawson" wrote in message
news:f049870.1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Thank you Tom! The connection manager sounds like a very useful tool,
I'll keep that in mind.
> You didn't mention any problems with profiles, is this a NW issue, NT
issue or something addressed in NW5?
>
> Thanks again,
> Melissa Lawson
>
>
Member
mlawson
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎05-03-2001
Message 5 of 7 (116 Views)

Re:

05-03-2001 05:53 AM in reply to: mlawson
Thank you so much for sharing this information!
Melissa Lawson : - )
*Lemons, James A.
Message 6 of 7 (116 Views)

Re: Any known conflicts with Novell Netware 5?

05-06-2001 06:20 AM in reply to: mlawson
To help w/ your read-only errors, I suggest that on the workstation, you set
Novell Client Properties->Advanced Tab -"File Caching" to "Off". This helped
the stability of our workstations tremendously, stopped read-only errors and
helped with lock-up problems we were having. Interestingly enough, the
combination of R14, Win2000 & NW5 client has given us the most stability
problems. R14, NT 4.0 & NW 5 works ok, the combination A2ki; LDDT2i; Win2000
& NW5 seems stable, but we just have continual problems with R14, Win2000 &
NW5. However, the few workstation that we had that did not have the Novell
client installed, but Win2000 & R14 were stable - go figger.....something to
consider while transitioning.

Jim Lemons

"mlawson" wrote in message
news:f049870.-1@WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
Our company is moving on to Novell Netware 5 and I have been asked to report
on any known conflicts with AutoCAD 2000 and 2i, Autodesk Map R4, LDDT 2000
and 2i, ADT R2 and R3, and CAD Overlay 2000 and 2i. We are currently running
some client installs and network installs, and we are using an NT 4.1 file
server. Our IT department is going to give us the opportunity to test the
software prior to upgrading, but I would like to hear from any of you if you
know of any problems or errors I should test or be aware of.
We are already experiencing 'read only drawing' errors and constant WinNT
profile problems with the current Novell. Is there anything I should test?
Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Melissa Lawson
CAD workstations/ Drafting Standard
*Gilmer, Tom
Message 7 of 7 (116 Views)

Re:

05-06-2001 09:37 PM in reply to: mlawson
My personal option is that, if there is no requirement for IP on the
Server, only load IPX. During client install, select Custom Installation
and pick IPX only. I've had absolutely no problems with this
configuration. Of course, if you must have IP on the Server..........

- Tom

"James A. Lemons" wrote in message
news:244B3A13540FF4EC3D46595410C297F1@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> To help w/ your read-only errors, I suggest that on the workstation,
you set
> Novell Client Properties->Advanced Tab -"File Caching" to "Off". This
helped
> the stability of our workstations tremendously, stopped read-only
errors and
> helped with lock-up problems we were having. Interestingly enough, the
> combination of R14, Win2000 & NW5 client has given us the most
stability
> problems. R14, NT 4.0 & NW 5 works ok, the combination A2ki; LDDT2i;
Win2000
> & NW5 seems stable, but we just have continual problems with R14,
Win2000 &
> NW5. However, the few workstation that we had that did not have the
Novell
> client installed, but Win2000 & R14 were stable - go
figger.....something to
> consider while transitioning.
>
> Jim Lemons

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community


Up & Ready Blog

Boldly Install, Configure and Deploy Autodesk Software.

AutodeskHelp Blog

Your one-stop shop for the latest solutions, breaking news, and behind the scenes access to the world of Autodesk support.

Connect with Us

Twitter

Pinterest

Blog

Youtube