Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An autodesk product failed to send required value for SERIALNUM

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
BillPIII
8154 Views, 11 Replies

An autodesk product failed to send required value for SERIALNUM

And whatever backburner is, it doesn't like me. I don't know if it's related. I've also tried the repair option on the uninstall (which should be an option on the  main autodesk menu). This was installed via USB.

This is for Ultimate 2013. 2012 works fine.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
BillPIII
in reply to: BillPIII

BackburnerCIF.exe - Fatal Error
CLR error: 80004005

This is the buggiest autodesk install I've ever had.
Message 3 of 12
BillPIII

Anybody? I can't use any of the 2013 programs. They either return the SerialNum error or sit on 'splash' screen.

Message 4 of 12
BillPIII

Well Bill I think it's related to .net. Based on information gathered everywhere else but here. Screw around with that while you are waiting for "professional" support. And feel free to read the form letters generated by the automated TPS reports.
Message 5 of 12
BillPIII

Thanks Bill. I still think you are a jerk.
Message 6 of 12
BillPIII

Since everyone else was busy, I fixed it myself.

Here is my hack solution. So if some things don't make sense or seem irrelevant, don't ask me why I did them. I flailed about until something worked.

This is for Windows 7 Btw.

1. Find a program called CCleaner and Run it.

2. Go to Control Panel -> Programs -> Turn Windows Features On/Off

3. Look for any .Net stuff and turn it off.

4. Go To Add/Remove program and try to delete the Windows.Net stuff. You need to delete one before the other. I don't remember which but it will complain if you guess wrong.

5. Go find a program called dotnetfx_cleanup tool. Download it. Extract it (don't run from inside the zip but copy those files into a directory) then run that.

5.b. doesn't hurt to run CCleaner again.

6. Go to C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net and look for the "Assembly" directory. Rename that something else.

7. Go download the "dotNetFX_Full_Setup" from Microsoft and run it.

Now 2013 works. But that was a PITA.

Message 7 of 12
BillPIII

Here is some better and more specific info that covers a larger range of .NET problems:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/varungupta/archive/2010/06/22/troubleshooting-net-framework-4-install-failur...

Message 8 of 12
BillPIII

Ignore all this. Problem is back.

Message 9 of 12
alh-telesis

After laughing an inappropriate amount of time at your humor, and feel the need to ask if you've found any other solution.

A workstation that functioned fine Friday is now unhappy, same .NET and SerialNUM Error, as you reported.

As much as I enjoy uninstalling all 20+ Microsoft Windows 7 Updates that installed this morning, I was hoping for something better.

Message 10 of 12
BillPIII

If I remember correctly, I had to do a "repair install" of windows 7 and that finally did the trick. I sent my full solution to Autodesk where it probably sits in some tech's junk folder. But if you want to wait until tommarrow, I can look up exactly what I sent them. I just googled how to do the repair install and followed that. There is some catch to it that was covered in the link.
Message 11 of 12
alh-telesis

The link would be good to post for others, but as of this morning, we are functional again.

Based on a suggestion from Subscription support, I tried the Repair Installation for Inventor in the Windows 7

"Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features"

It didn't work, so I went searching again.

Knowing it was a .NET issue I went and looked at the .NET 3.5.1 again. It can be toggled on and off under "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features -- Turn Windows features on or off"

See solution 1 on this website.

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2012/05/inventor-family-an-autodesk-product-failed-to-sen...

The **** thing was turned OFF.

I KNOW it was turned on yesterday, because I toggled it several times.

I'm thinking the solution might be two steps.

1. Run the Inventor installation repair.

2. Turn the .NET 3.5.1. back ON.

Message 12 of 12
BillPIII
in reply to: alh-telesis

Yes, I had already checked that plus did a number of various .net "fixes" without any luck. The repair install was my last ditch effort before re-formating and it worked. But no, try everything else first. Hopefully you got it just by doing what you did. But if all else fails:

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/win7s-no-reformat-nondestructive-reinstall/

The reinstall will mess with your firewall and Internet. So you'll need to fix this before it will accept your Windows license (it can't send the license otherwise).  Better to just delete your antivirus and reinstall after the whole thing is done.

Inventor still gave the IO.System error so I removed just that program and reinstalled it on the fresh reinstalled Win 7. Now there are no errors and it works without crashing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report