Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Akamai NetSessions Client

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
jloose
32565 Views, 10 Replies

Akamai NetSessions Client

Hi,

I work for a large organisation that wishes to use AutoCAD 2014 in one department, however the inclusion of the Akamai Client means that we cannot allow it on our network. The client is present on the trial version, does the full version also include it? Is it possible to remove it from the MSI?

Thanks,

James

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
pendean
in reply to: jloose

You can always remove it.
Message 3 of 11
jloose

Yes, you can remove it after install, but I want to remove it before then. I don't want Akamai using our bandwidth and saturating the network. The NetSessions client was never designed to be on a network with 1000s of systems, it starts uploading when an individual client is idle without any consideration for the rest. Why is it even included with a product such as AutoCAD?

Message 4 of 11
dembkod

jloose,

Akamai would be used if you ran an “Install Now” from logging into our subscription center. If you downloaded the files locally and installed yourself, there would not be a need for it.

Thank you for taking part in our community!

David Dembkoski
Message 5 of 11
jloose
in reply to: dembkod

So if we purchased CD/DVDs then these would also not include Akamai?

Message 6 of 11
dgorsman

They shouldn't be present in the downloaded installer EXE either, *provided* you use a classic browser download.  Its not part of the software, its part of the software download.

The product is used with the "accelerated download" feature, presumably to take advantage of its file sharing features.  Its been a bone of contention for some time with a number of us who provide feedback to AutoDesk.  its showing up with more and more software providers now so its getting difficult to avoid.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 11
jloose
in reply to: dgorsman

'Install Now' should not be the default option and perhaps it should be mentioned that they will install a P2P client silently on your computer. Especially when so many people do not have unlimited bandwidth internet connections.

Thanks for your answer, this is what I was looking for

Message 8 of 11
JohnBrown1
in reply to: dembkod

Is it required to allow access to Akamai NetSession Client?

Message 9 of 11
kuckinfrazy

its really unfair for Autodesk to combine this abusive software packaged in a student version of Maya.  To assume we would be on board and just sit back while Akamai steals bandwidth... which we have to pay for... while we are idle should be criminal.  I have to pay for the bandwidth and i alone should be allowed to decide who gets to use it.  I am uninstalling your product and having my son switch to another animation software due to your inconsiderate abusive business practices.

earlier someone said, "its not the software its in the downloader" they are one in the same to me since i downloaded it directly from you. 

Message 10 of 11

@kuckinfrazy

First of welcome to the community..

Secondly this is not Autodesk..  This is a world wide user forum where user's are help other users.  In my opinion you should consider yourself lucky that you were able to receive a free student license from Autodesk.  Smiley Wink   Most users here have to pay!!! 

Have you ever thought of stopping the Akamai service from launching or uninstall it?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 11 of 11
dgorsman
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Stopping the service works reasonably well - you have to stay on top of it.  AutoDesk is far from the first user of this service, so if you still consider it objectionable you may need to uninstall a lot more software.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report